Author Topic: Chabads Message to Parents RE: Mumbai Massacre  (Read 1861 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Chabads Message to Parents RE: Mumbai Massacre
« on: December 18, 2008, 05:26:31 PM »
Hello,

I think this article is very good in how to handle the terrorist attack on Chabad in India:

Chabad Rabbi Warns of Children's Trauma from Mumbai Massacre
Kislev 21, 5769, 18 December 08 02:30
by Hana Levi Julian

(IsraelNN.com) The head of a Chabad-Lubavitch educational outreach organization warned his fellow emissaries this week to be proactive in making sure their children would not be adversely affected by the aftermath of the Mumbai Chabad House massacre.

Rabbi Shea Hecht, chairman of the National Committee for the Furtherance of Jewish Education (NCFJE), sent out what can only be called a frank warning to Chabad-Lubavitch rabbis around the world.

"'All Jews are brothers, literally,' writes Rabbi Shneur Zalman in Tanya," Hecht wrote, adding, "If there were ever any doubts as to the truth of that statement, they have been dismissed with the lives and terrible murders of Rabbi Gavriel and Mrs. Rivkah Holtzberg. The entire Jewish nation came together in hope and, later, in grief because of this young couple…"

Unfortunately, he noted, the "acute pain, fear and depression that will likely haunt us for quite some time… also haunts our children. And for that reason we should take care that we are creating a climate of healing in our households, not one of despair," he said bluntly.

Hecht, who consulted with child trauma experts Dr. David Pelcovitz, Ph.D. and Moshe Borowski, LMSW, offered the emissaries a list of practical tips to help them address child trauma issues they might encounter at home, including:
• Do not change any of your child's daily routines. Routine offers a sense of security.
• Along the same lines, don't let household rules slip – including continuing to insist on good behavior, no tolerance for "chutzpah" (disrespect –ed.)
• Insulate your child from upsetting media reports – even if your child is aware of what took place, he does not have to be exposed to details.
• Understand that your child will realize if you yourself are becoming obsessed with articles, videos, etc.
• Your child must understand that what happened in Mumbai will not happen anywhere else any time soon.

In Hecht's words, "Make clear that Tatty (Daddy –ed.) and Mommy, the Police, FBI, the Army and the Ribono Shel Olam (a Hebrew name for G-d –ed.) are there to protect them."

A child can pick up on the comments that one might think are only between adults, he said, observing, "His feelings of security are, largely, based on yours. If you have feelings of despair or anxiety your choice is either to conceal them till after bed time, or pass them on to your children."

He added that a child's need to experience a sense of mastery over the world could be met by emphasizing their religious observances, such as prayer, giving charity, and bedtime routines (tefillos, tzedaka and krias shema al hamitta). "This is how they bring aid and protection to themselves and others," he said.

Hecht also strongly urged in his letter that parents listen to what their children think has happened and reminded the emissaries that often a child will draw sweeping conclusions from even a few minor details.

"Finally, rabosai, ("my fellow rabbis" –ed.) over these next few weeks, it’s important to spend more time at home having fun with your kids.  No, meetings and late nights at the office are not more precious than your family," he stated flatly. "Remember that the yetzer hora (the Evil Inclination –ed.) has no defense against a parent that spends time playing a game or reading a story with their child."
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline zachor_ve_kavod

• Master JTFer
Re: Chabads Message to Parents RE: Mumbai Massacre
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 05:33:20 PM »
It is a good article, but where is their anger?  Why are they not screaming for vengeance?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 06:30:34 PM »
It is a good article, but where is their anger?  Why are they not screaming for vengeance?

We discussed in another thread here the negative aspects of anger. Now I am not saying that a little anger is not called for but the outward display of anger would not be productive. I do believe the Jewish wisdom that through positive actions we bring the world closer to Moshiach, not through destructive and negative actions. The common saying goes "One candle will banish all the darkness in a room". This is not just new-age positive thinking ideology, this is genuine Jewish wisdom from Tanakh and from the Kabbalah.

I am angry at the terrorists but I dont let the anger show. A wise Jew is one who has control on his/her emotions. We will accomplish more through doing good deeds and teaching our young about our proud heritage.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline zachor_ve_kavod

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 07:06:29 PM »
Aren't we commanded to pursue the pursuer?  Don't we Jews have a responsibility not just to Jewish victims but also to living Jews to make the world a safer place and to also punish the perpetrators?  There is a time for peace, and a time for war.  While we must not allow ourselves to be consumed by hatred and anger, we must also keep in mind that in order to sanctify G-d's name, we must always strive for justice.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 07:42:35 PM »
Aren't we commanded to pursue the pursuer?  Don't we Jews have a responsibility not just to Jewish victims but also to living Jews to make the world a safer place and to also punish the perpetrators?  There is a time for peace, and a time for war.  While we must not allow ourselves to be consumed by hatred and anger, we must also keep in mind that in order to sanctify G-d's name, we must always strive for justice.

This is true... I agree with you... My anger is directed at trying to rectify the damage which the terrorists are doing to the world. This is one reason I have moved towards a Kahanist ideology trying to meld with my Chassidic understanding. My anger towards the Islamic terrorists is immense but it doesnt consume me. I am able to work with people from all around the world including some who are Muslim. I do not go around hating them...

Offline zachor_ve_kavod

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 08:14:43 PM »

This is true... I agree with you... My anger is directed at trying to rectify the damage which the terrorists are doing to the world. This is one reason I have moved towards a Kahanist ideology trying to meld with my Chassidic understanding. My anger towards the Islamic terrorists is immense but it doesnt consume me. I am able to work with people from all around the world including some who are Muslim. I do not go around hating them...

I don't hate all muslims either.  I think that is a rather counterproductive approach.  If there is any hope of some kind of islamic reformation, it's going to have to come from within islam iteself.  I'll give you an example.  My former employer is a muslim from India.  He and I have discussed religion and politics many times.  The faces of his wife and daughters are not covered.  He tells me that all he wants to do is lead a successful Canadian family and be a good citizen.  He used to live in Israel and has told me that Israel is the only country in the Middle East that cares about its people, cares about human rights, and is moral.  He said the facts that muslims wish to destroy that shows how backwards Islam is today.  He said that the greatest threat to India is the mujahadeen.  This is an absolutely moral person.  I don't believe that there is any deception in him.  And yet, he is a devout muslim.  He just doesn't let that part of him destroy the rest.  He wants to see Islam modernize and he wants muslims to stop hating Jews and Christians.  I hope that there are others like him who will be able to affect some changes to Islam.

As for muslim terrorists, I am for keeping an open dialogue with them, and my prefered medium of communication happens to be cluster bombs and other various types of live ammunition.  I'm not looking to (as Obama has repeatedly stated) "come to the table" with them.  I don't want to convert them or make them more sensitive or nicer.  I'm not interested in their point of view.  I want them annihilated.  Anger is not exactly the correct description of how I feel about them either.  You can't get angry at cancer.  And that's what has infected the Islamic body politic--cancer.  So perhaps you're right.  An oncologist does not get angry at the cancer he's trying to cure.  MAYBE we'd have more success in winning this war if we were a little more objective about it.  But I don't think the answer is tolerance or compassion.  The least we can do is stop this cancer from spreading over here.  And when it does affect us, like it did in Mumbai, we have to seek justice.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 08:51:41 PM »
There are no moderate Muslims

THERE ARE NO MODERATE MUSLIMS!  >:(

Offline zachor_ve_kavod

• Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 09:57:18 PM »

So how would you explain someone like my former boss?  That he's not a real muslim?  I don't buy that.  A lot of muslims are muslim just because they were born muslim.  I wouldn't call them moderate, just ignorant.  But besides that, there are people like Irshad Manji who seek to reform Islam.  I wouldn't call her a moderate either, more like a reformer.  Anyway, I guess on the one hand you have muslims who believe in convert or kill and on the other hand, you have some muslim people who want Islam to not be about converting or killing.  And then there is a third category of ignorant muslims who were born muslim but wouldn't know a koran if they fell over one.  I guess none of these can be described as 'moderate'.  But if your point is that all muslims support terrorism, then I don't agree with that.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 10:55:07 PM »

So how would you explain someone like my former boss?  That he's not a real muslim?  I don't buy that.  A lot of muslims are muslim just because they were born muslim.  I wouldn't call them moderate, just ignorant.  But besides that, there are people like Irshad Manji who seek to reform Islam.  I wouldn't call her a moderate either, more like a reformer.  Anyway, I guess on the one hand you have muslims who believe in convert or kill and on the other hand, you have some muslim people who want Islam to not be about converting or killing.  And then there is a third category of ignorant muslims who were born muslim but wouldn't know a koran if they fell over one.  I guess none of these can be described as 'moderate'.  But if your point is that all muslims support terrorism, then I don't agree with that.

There are militant ones and non-militant ones.

It should be put on youtube, but BBC Question Time after 9/11 was unbelievable.  Lots of muslims in the audience, all saying "It was wrong BUT.. ".  e.g. But what about all the children america had killed in iraq. (this was before the iraq war, so I guess they referred to an economic sanction) So they were basically saying america deserved it.  The american ambassador was brought to tears on the show!   People watching at home were outraged and complained..
Eventually BBC got the reputation of Baghdad Broadcasting Corporation during the iraq war!

Another program is Sharia TV(a british tv program), where you have teenage muslim kids asking imams question. The kids are more extreme than the imams!

They don't american foreign policy(israel aside), just like bin laden didn't like american policy in saudi arabia. And they are happy when america gets hurt..
(they may -say- that terrorism is wrong, some may even mean it, but they like the fact that it hurts america)

Offline syyuge

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2008, 03:36:31 AM »
As the anger creates a malady within the self, the repression of the anger also creates a longstanding repressed malady within the self.

Any Muslim, if he does good and gentle business and looks least like supporting terrorism may be having more than 90% chances of being a Daudi Bohra.  These Bohras are considered outcast by all other Muslims because they are considered to be following a living spiritual leader as almost a deity. But within their hearts, these muslims also completely follow Md and Goran.

I have also seen some Muslims who looked and behaved like being best in the world. They could manage to spit their venom only when Soviets were collapsing or when their plundered structure was being withdrawn, or when Airline was hijacked to Kabul or when Bamian was being broken or when pilgrimage were burnt or bombed and or when the temples were bombed, or when Saddam was encircled, or when Chechens were blasted or when Osama was being searched vigorously.

In nutshell, terrorists are fools compared to moderate looking muslamics.
There are thunders and sparks in the skies, because Faraday invented the electricity.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2008, 09:01:51 AM »
This is JTF. Why should I have to explain here of all places that there are no Muslim moderates?

I work with a Muslim too, a Pakistani Muslim. He behaves in a kind manner, he treats others with respect, and he works hard. He's still a Muslim. I don't ever forget that and I can't believe I have to explain this to JTFers.

Even the kindest, nicest little Muslim grandmother is still a Muslim.

Do not turn your back on them for anything. The Islamic religion is anti-Semitic and evil by its very nature. Anyone who follows the religion is following that evil.

HADITH Sahih Bukhari [4:52:176] Narrated 'Abdullah bin 'Umar:
Allah's Apostle said, "You (i.e. Muslims) will fight with the Jews till some of them will hide behind stones. The stones will (betray them) saying, 'O 'Abdullah (i.e. slave of Allah)! There is a Jew hiding behind me; so kill him.' "

HADITH Sahih Bukhari [4:52:177] Narrated Abu Huraira:
Allah's Apostle said, "The Hour will not be established until you fight with the Jews, and the stone behind which a Jew will be hiding will say. "O Muslim! There is a Jew hiding behind me, so kill him."

KORAN [5.51] O you who believe! do not take the Jews and the Christians for friends; they are friends of each other; and whoever amongst you takes them for a friend, then surely he is one of them; surely Allah does not guide the unjust people.

One of the five pillars of Islam, Zakaat, involves giving money to Muslim "charities". We all know where a large chunk of that money goes. It goes to Palescumian terrorists and other terrorists.

Anyone who honors Mohammed can not be a good person. Mohammed was a pedophile and a murderer.