Author Topic: Good Samaritans' dilemma  (Read 1852 times)

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
Good Samaritans' dilemma
« on: December 20, 2008, 05:31:04 PM »

Offline zachor_ve_kavod

• Master JTFer
Re: Good Samaritans' dilemma
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 06:49:09 PM »
I think she has a legitimate case, and I think he should be sued.

Offline Ultra Requete

• Master JTFer
  • United We Stand, Dived We'll Fall.
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 03:35:58 AM »
Yes he shud left her burn bexouse all your deeds will not be left unpanished :P.
BTW good samaritan woud be a Palestinian helping a Israeli Jew :o Helping your brother or neighbour is commandment and has nothing to do with this parobole.
Jeremiah 8:11-17

11 They dress the wound of my people as though it were not serious. Peace, peace, they say, when there is no peace.

12 Are they ashamed of their loathsome conduct? No, they have no shame at all; they do not even know how to blush. So they will fall among the fallen; they will be brought down when they are punished, says the LORD.

13 'I will take away their harvest, declares the LORD. There will be no grapes on the vine. There will be no figs on the tree, and their leaves will wither. What I have given them will be taken from them.'

14 Why are we sitting here? Gather together! Let us flee to the fortified cities and perish there! For the LORD our God has doomed us to perish and given us poisoned water to drink, because we have sinned against him.

15 We hoped for peace but no good has come, for a time of healing but there was only terror.

16 The snorting of the enemy's horses is heard from Dan; at the neighing of their stallions the whole land trembles. They have come to devour the land and everything in it, the city and all who live there.

17 See, I will send venomous snakes among you, vipers that cannot be charmed, and they will bite you, declares the LORD.

Love your Enemy
And Heap Burning Coals on his Head!!!
http://net-burst.net/revenge/love_and_wrath_of_God.htm

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 03:59:09 AM »
You know, I clicked on this story fully expecting to be outraged, and surprisingly enough, wasn't. Whether or not the "good samaritan" was responsible for the paralysis, it seems pretty clear that she didn't know what she was doing and used brute force to remove this poor accident victim from the car. If she objected to this treatment and the do-gooder yanked her out anyway, particularly considering she had no medical training, then I do think she should be sued. (As should the idiot she was riding with who caused the crash by wrapping the car around a streetlight.)

There are people who do good, and people who are do-gooders (who are motivated primarily by "self-esteem" and ego). The do-gooders are all the white folks who voted for Obama so that they could be part of an "historic moment" and prove how un-racist they all were. I have zero tolerance for these schmucks in general, particularly when their actions cause significant harm to people (as they may have here).

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 04:04:28 AM »
BTW good samaritan woud be a Palestinian helping a Israeli Jew :o Helping your brother or neighbour is commandment and has nothing to do with this parobole.
Not really. I actually studied this parable not long ago. The Samaritans were not actual Nazis who were killing Jews as far as I know (they were just terrible heretics). The best analogy would be a Wiccan or hardcore Marxist helping to save a Jew.

The parable that would deal with an equivalent to Muslim Nazis would be the healing of the Canaanite woman, who was not restored until she acknowledged that her people were "dogs".

Offline zachor_ve_kavod

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 04:06:57 AM »
Well, it was really irresponsible for him to try to move her, if he didn't know what he was doing.  I've been qualified for first aid for many years now, and one thing they always tell us, is don't move people unless it is absolutely necessary.  Cars very rarely catch fire after an accident, so I don't know why he though it would.  Also, if you're going to try to move someone, you have to be trained how to do it.  The neck is extremely fragile.  Doing something like that without training is really stupid and dangerous.  He should have known better.  I wouldn't try to perform an emergency tracheotomy, even if I thought a person needed one.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 04:12:19 AM »
I agree. I thought the person who yanked her out was a woman though (might have misread it).

I really have to question the motives of people who do things like this. There is a difference between true heroes and people with a hero complex.

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 12:44:50 PM »
I think she has a legitimate case, and I think he should be sued.

It is imo difficult to decide, because there is the action on oppinion towards the people too.

I really don't know.
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline zachor_ve_kavod

• Master JTFer
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008, 12:53:51 PM »
I don't know about America, but in Canada (or at least Ontario) the law is clear:  A person is not allowed to help somebody else if he is incapable of helping them.  I am trained in moving people with a possible neck injury, but in that situation I would not have done it, because there is a very slim chance that a car can catch fire after an accident.  I think the example I gave before is a good one.  I am trained in first aid and I could conceivably come across a situation where I can recognize that a person may need emergency or even life saving surgery.  But I am not a licenced medical practitioner and I am certainly not a surgeon.  If I tried performing emergency surgery, even with the best intentions, I would be liable for whatever the outcome would be, and rightly so.

This guy wasn't a good samaritan, even if his intent was to help.  A person has to have the sense to know that they can only do what they are capable of, otherwise it is reckless.  I am actually surprised that this guy isn't facing criminal charges.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2008, 01:09:25 PM »
I would bet my life's savings (which is trivial) that the "rescuer" in this case is an Obama voter.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2008, 08:09:29 PM »
What is so good about 'Samaritans'?

I never really understood this concept "Good Samiritans"...

The Samaritans were non-Jews brought to Israel by the Assyrians to populate the North after the exile of the Ten Tribes. They ostensibly converted to Judaism, but in reality they continued worshipping idols, save for a period when they were mistakenly considered genuine converts; hence the Samaritans were not considered Jews, neither by Jewish law nor by the Jewish people.

They did not accept the Oral Tradition, which forms the overwhelming bulk of Jewish law. They also did not accept any books of the Bible except for the Pentateuch and the book of Joshua. Today, the Samaritan version of the Torah manuscript differs from ours by about 800 letters.

The Samaritans often acted as enemies of the Jewish people. They tried to destroy the Temple and to inform against the Jews to Roman authorities. The parable of the "Good Samaritan" was actually an anti-Semitic story intended to discredit the Jews.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2008, 08:35:35 PM »

The Samaritans were non-Jews brought to Israel by the Assyrians to populate the North after the exile of the Ten Tribes. They ostensibly converted to Judaism, but in reality they continued worshipping idols, save for a period when they were mistakenly considered genuine converts; hence the Samaritans were not considered Jews, neither by Jewish law nor by the Jewish people.

They did not accept the Oral Tradition, which forms the overwhelming bulk of Jewish law. They also did not accept any books of the Bible except for the Pentateuch and the book of Joshua. Today, the Samaritan version of the Torah manuscript differs from ours by about 800 letters.

The Samaritans often acted as enemies of the Jewish people. They tried to destroy the Temple and to inform against the Jews to Roman authorities. The parable of the "Good Samaritan" was actually an anti-Semitic story intended to discredit the Jews.

Question Muman
What does your post have to do with the topic?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2008, 09:59:22 PM »

Question Muman
What does your post have to do with the topic?

Well, not much I suppose... I just dont like the term 'good samaritans' because of the facts which I presented. Many people think that the Samaritans were very good because of this saying. Im sorry if it was off topic.

Without having watched the video I will make the following observations.

A person should always be responsible for their actions. I think there are many laws in our Torah which prove that the L-rd is very concerned with our actions between each other. Laws which include keeping fair measures and not charging our fellows interest are some of these statutes. Saving lives is also a very important factor, which is why the only reason one can legally transgress the laws of Shabbat is to save a life. It is important to balance the desire to save a life with the ability of the person to actually save it without damaging it.

I dont think that a person should be sued for attempting to save a life. But since I do not know the true facts in the case it is wrong to come to a decision about this. I think a more just recourse would be for the person 'good samaritan' to get some training in how to save peoples lives with more knowledge. It is wrong for a man to rush into a burning building to save some children without any protective fire gear if that gear is available. That is foolishness.

Im sorry about my rant about Samaritans. I am sure they are good people.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14