Author Topic: Eruv Chatzerot  (Read 1580 times)

Offline Raulmarrio2000

• Master JTFer
Eruv Chatzerot
« on: November 30, 2008, 10:04:22 PM »
I am reading that many Jewish communities outside Israel establish communitary Eruvim Chatzerot in their neighbourhoods. Can a Gentile take part in an Eruv? I imagine that there may always be some Gentile houses within the area.... and if not.... the streets are public and bolong to the city, so they are partially owned by Gentiles. It is known that an Eruv, to be valid, need to join all owners.
When I was studying to convert, the Rav told me that after conversion, when all Shabat laws would be binding, I should especially make it clear that when renting part of my house for a shop, the courtyards not be included. Or to re-rent the coutyard from them (if they were Gentiles). And not to make Eruv with them.....
It's not relevant to me now, since I finally didn't convert. But what would happen in case I happened to share a courtyard with a Jew? What's the correct Law?

Offline Raulmarrio2000

• Master JTFer
Re: Eruv Chatzerot
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 07:44:04 PM »
Anyone has any idea?

Online Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 05:53:18 AM »
I don't know the answer , but in Israel the eruv is stretched over the pavements which are public property. I think there are some cities or borrows with eruv in the exile like NYC. I really don't know if the eruv must circumflex exclusively around Jewish property but I think it would be impossible so my guess is it doesn't.

Offline Lubab

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 09:32:03 PM »
Raul,

There is a halachic legal document that is used in which the gentile gives certain rights to his property for Shabbos only. This is how the problem is dealt with.

"It is not upon you to finish the work, nor are you free to desist from it." Rabbi Tarfon, Pirkei Avot.

Offline Raulmarrio2000

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 10:28:38 PM »
Thank you, Lubab.
Some Noahides use to kindle Chanukah lights (without the blessings). I did it the first year after I decided to abandon conversion. Now, I don't do it. My reasoning is that, since it's not a mitvah for a Noahide, the only value of a Menorah would be educational, to teach others that HaShem made a miracle and saved the Jews, and their descendants taught us the Laws of Noah. Now, if lit in a way that it may be seen from the street, it could pose a problem (a Noahide must not act in anyway that could lead to be mistakenly taken for a Jew), and if lit indoors, I have no friends who could see it and understand its meaning, so it would be worthleses for educational purposes.

And, BTW I use to read about time meassuring throught history in different cultures, and when a day was considered to begin among Romans, Egyptians, Babylonians..... would it be considered a forbidden Torah study for Goyim if I read the different Sages' opinion about sunset and sunrise?