Author Topic: This Global Warming is giving us a balmy 18 degs  (Read 1140 times)

Offline MasterWolf1

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • RESIST NOW!!!
This Global Warming is giving us a balmy 18 degs
« on: January 17, 2009, 08:56:43 PM »
And when exactly is it going to warm up.. And don't tell me the Spring!  I want it warming now! LOL
RIGHT WING AMERICAN AND PROUD OF IT. IF YOU WANTED TO PROVE YOU WEREN'T A "RACIST" IN 2008 BY VOTING FOR OBAMA, THEN PROVE IN 2012 YOU ARE NOT AN IDIOT FOR VOTING AGAINST OBAMA!

Offline Abben

• Master JTFer
  • Down with obama!
Re: This Global Warming is giving us a balmy 18 degs
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 09:43:00 PM »
these frigid temps are crazy.

Offline ape

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 10:00:30 PM »
Is this weather healthy? I know Germans love this weather

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 10:02:54 PM »
This weather is great

Offline ape

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 10:17:12 PM »
This weather is great

you must have ancestors from norther europe

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 10:19:37 PM »
This weather is great

you must have ancestors from norther europe

I do I have ancestors from Ukraine but the others are from South America and Croatia

Offline Abben

• Master JTFer
  • Down with obama!
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 10:51:48 PM »
I don't mind the average cold weather, but this single digit weather its a real pain!

Offline DownwithIslam

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 12:16:03 AM »
I actually prefer the cold weather and I feel wonderful now. During the summer, the high temps really drain me. I actually look forward to the winter. I wonder where Al Gorlioni is now that the temperatures are so low.
I am urinating on a Koran.

Offline Sentinel For Truth

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 09:16:14 AM »
As the theory goes, cold temperatures on the east coast is exactly what to expect with global warming.  I know it sounds paradoxical, let me explain:  Global warming is indeed happening as evidenced by simultaneous melting glaciers all over the world; they are receding everywhere.  There is a phenomenon called the Thermohaline circulation or global oceanic conveyor, the heart of which is directly below Greenland, where powerful Arctic winds blow across the surface of the ocean and evaporate water which then causes the remaining salt water to become more dense and sink, thus causing the entire oceanic underwater current which keeps the Atlantic relatively warm and climates of Europe and the east coast of the U.S. warm and temperate. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermohaline_circulation

As a result of the huge amount of fresh melt water coming off of the Arctic and Greenland, it is diluting the "heart" of the system which, if it shuts off, will stop the oceanic circulation throughout the world which keeps the world warm.   The result of this is a rapid slowing of this action which will eventually lead to its shutting down altogether.  Take a globe and look at the same latitude as Europe and you'll see the Siberian arctic tundra.  That's what'll happen to Europe and the east coast and eventually the rest of the world if the global oceanic conveyor stops functioning:  they all become like Siberia and this ushers in the next ice age.   In fact, the great lakes exist from melted ice from the last ice age!

I view the brutal winter in the east coast and midwest to be confirmation that global warming is absolutely real and this is quite possibly happening and could herald another ice age directly ahead.

Offline zachor_ve_kavod

• Master JTFer
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 09:44:45 AM »
I've done some research on this.  There was a "mini ice age" in the 19th century, and the planet has been warming steadily since then.  The debate over global warming isn't so much about whether the globe is in fact warming--it is.  The debates centre around two key questions:  1.  Is this warming trend going to lead to an environmental catastrophe? and 2:  Is this global warming caused by human activity?

My belief is that global warming is not caused by human activity, nor will it lead to an environmental catastrophe.

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2009, 09:53:26 AM »
I really think that what is causing the shift in the weather is a natural condition that comes along every now and then. If it is being caused by humans I don't see a short term fix for it. America can do all it wants to limit whats being done here however when you have China burning coal and other fossil fuels with no pollution controls at ever increasing rates the situation is hopeless. Unlike most other countries America has cut the amount if pollutants it puts out over the years to a percentage of what it did years ago. Even with ever increasing amounts of coal and oil being used the air in most of our cities is much better then it was years back. On the other hand emerging countries could not care less about this issue and do as they please. With the global situation being what it is today I don't see the ability for industrial countries to remedy this problem quickly. People depend on transportation, electricity, heat and products that come from the burning of fuels that cause greenhouse gases. Even if a reduction was mandated tomorrow the hardships imposed would be as bad as dealing with this condition on a longer timetable. Dealing with this situation would require major changes in the way society is set up. Cities like New York would not be possible because having so many people living in one small place is only possible because of the power consumption used to keep vital services going. Every aspect of life as we know it today depends on electricity or some form of power consumption. If change is needed it will need to take place over a long span of time. I see this issue being used to generate tax revenue in the name of reducing the carbon footprint however not one penny of that money will ever go to making any meaningful improvement in the situation.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline MasterWolf1

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • RESIST NOW!!!
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2009, 10:07:27 AM »
Al Whore must be right can't you tell?
RIGHT WING AMERICAN AND PROUD OF IT. IF YOU WANTED TO PROVE YOU WEREN'T A "RACIST" IN 2008 BY VOTING FOR OBAMA, THEN PROVE IN 2012 YOU ARE NOT AN IDIOT FOR VOTING AGAINST OBAMA!

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2009, 11:44:00 AM »
As the theory goes, cold temperatures on the east coast is exactly what to expect with global warming.  I know it sounds paradoxical, let me explain:  Global warming is indeed happening as evidenced by simultaneous melting glaciers all over the world; they are receding everywhere.  There is a phenomenon called the Thermohaline circulation or global oceanic conveyor, the heart of which is directly below Greenland, where powerful Arctic winds blow across the surface of the ocean and evaporate water which then causes the remaining salt water to become more dense and sink, thus causing the entire oceanic underwater current which keeps the Atlantic relatively warm and climates of Europe and the east coast of the U.S. warm and temperate. 

As a result of the huge amount of fresh melt water coming off of the Arctic and Greenland, it is diluting the "heart" of the system which, if it shuts off, will stop the oceanic circulation throughout the world which keeps the world warm.   The result of this is a rapid slowing of this action which will eventually lead to its shutting down altogether.  Take a globe and look at the same latitude as Europe and you'll see the Siberian arctic tundra.  That's what'll happen to Europe and the east coast and eventually the rest of the world if the global oceanic conveyor stops functioning:  they all become like Siberia and this ushers in the next ice age.   In fact, the great lakes exist from melted ice from the last ice age!

I view the brutal winter in the east coast and midwest to be confirmation that global warming is absolutely real and this is quite possibly happening and could herald another ice age directly ahead.

We better increase our carbon footprint.. to reverse the upcoming ice age!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2009, 12:02:36 PM »

We better increase our carbon footprint.. to reverse the upcoming ice age!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

If they can make it as hot as Miami here in New York it would be fine by me 8)
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years