Author Topic: Should you pray to G-d for everything?  (Read 452 times)

Offline zachor_ve_kavod

• Master JTFer
Should you pray to G-d for everything?
« on: January 20, 2009, 12:43:36 PM »
I personally don't pray to G-d for every little thing.  It's just an intuition I have, but it may be wrong, that's why I'd like to get some opinions on this.  I always had this sense that I should pray for the important things, and that by praying for things that are less important to me, I was somehow "needlessly bothering"
G-d with trifles.

I do pray to G-d for the health of my family, for instance.  But if someone asked me to pray for the health of his cat, I wouldn't bother G-d with such a thing.  I guess I wonder if I prayed for everything, how would G-d know which prayers are the really important ones.

My wife's friend used to pray for everything, including such things as getting a good parking spot.  I found that to be rather offensive.  I also want to show G-d that I am grateful to Him for listening to me, regardless of what He decides to do.  It just seems to me that hassling G-d about every little thing is somewhat ungrateful.

Is my attitude incorrect or childish?  I don't know what the Rabbis say about the matter.  Can anyone offer some insight, please?

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
Re: Should you pray to G-d for everything?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 01:07:49 PM »
This is a pet peeve of mine, and it trivializes spirituality.

Is it right to pray when your scratching your lottery ticket, and you want that third bar of gold?

or when you are rolling the dice at the craps table?

Or to find your remote?

Or to get a female to sleep with you?

etc etc

I personally think this is awful.  Spirituality doesnt exist to reward people for gambling or being greedy, or lustful, or lazy, etc .. Praying should NOT be for any of these trivial things.

Personally, I think it should be for mental and physical well-being, for those close to you, and those who need your help.  Not for selfish reasons.

Offline zachor_ve_kavod

• Master JTFer
Re: Should you pray to G-d for everything?
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 01:22:23 PM »
This is a pet peeve of mine, and it trivializes spirituality.

Is it right to pray when your scratching your lottery ticket, and you want that third bar of gold?

or when you are rolling the dice at the craps table?

Or to find your remote?

Or to get a female to sleep with you?

etc etc

What about praying for the health of someone who is unknown to you?  ie. a friend asks you to pray for his cousin who has a cold.  Serious illness is another matter.  Would you pray for someone who is unknown to you?

I personally think this is awful.  Spirituality doesnt exist to reward people for gambling or being greedy, or lustful, or lazy, etc .. Praying should NOT be for any of these trivial things.

Personally, I think it should be for mental and physical well-being, for those close to you, and those who need your help.  Not for selfish reasons.