Author Topic: Kahane Audios  (Read 3799 times)

SoldierOfZion

Kahane Audios
« on: March 18, 2007, 04:40:20 PM »
I'm attempting to clean up the Kahane debate audios from http://kahane.hostultra.com

I'm a rookie at cleaning up audio, so I would like your feedback, including any suggestions or criticisms.

Here is the first one I tried to clean up - Kahane vs. Axelrod:
Original file:
http://kahane.hostultra.com/RavKahane03m.mp3

Cleaned up file (noise reduced and level boosted)
http://www.takebackourtemple.com/Kahane/03_Kahane_vs_Axelrod.mp3

The volume level didn't boost too much, but I think it sounds much better without the background noise.

Thoughts or comments?

SoldierOfZion

Re: Kahane Audios
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 06:29:02 PM »
I listened to the first ten seconds. The edited version has a robotic sound to it; the original still sounds better. However, I am impressed with how you took out the garbage background noise. Keep trying; it's very good of you to attempt to clean these decades-old audios.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll keep playing with it.

Offline kahaneloyalist

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 07:11:06 PM »
why dont you put it through a high pass and low pass filter and normalize the sound, that should clean it up without losing too much of the good sound
"For it is through the mercy of fools that all Justice is lost"
Ramban

SoldierOfZion

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 07:51:03 PM »
why dont you put it through a high pass and low pass filter and normalize the sound, that should clean it up without losing too much of the good sound

Sounds like you know more than me about this stuff. :-) I'll see if I can do this with Audacity. Thanks for the advice!

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 10:33:08 PM »
I cleaned up 2 other kahane audios (one was the shiur at YU and at the national press club) a month ago using audacity.  I'm the one who used a high pass and low pass filter at 300-3500 hz and then put them through sound filtering.  I gave them to yukutiel but he didn't post them yet.  They sound really good.  Hopefully he'll post them soon or I'll be forced to post them myself. 

So use the high and low pass fliter then eliminate the background noise (be careful here and go mild since if you do it too much part of the audio will be eliminated and it will sound like a telephone call) .  It helps to also amplify the sound when you are done and possibly use a plug in called "leveler" (for audacity) at the low setting to even out the audio if it is too dynamic. 

Audacity is a great program. I'm working on a Kahane song with it. 
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 10:44:38 PM by jdl4ever »
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"
-Rabbi Meir Kahane Zs'l HYD

SoldierOfZion

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 10:46:50 PM »
I cleaned up 2 other kahane audios (one was the shiur at YU and at the national press club) a month ago using audacity.  I'm the one who used a high pass and low pass filter at 300-3500 hz and then put them through sound filtering.  I gave them to yukutiel but he didn't post them yet.  They sound really good.  Hopefully he'll post them soon or I'll be forced to post them myself. 

So use the high and low pass fliter then eliminate the background noise (be careful here and go mild since if you do it too much part of the audio will be eliminated and it will sound like a telephone call) .  It helps to also amplify the sound when you are done and possibly use a plug in called "leveler" (for audacity) at the low setting to even out the audio if it is too dynamic. 

Can you FTP them to me so I can put them on my site?

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 10:51:44 PM »

Can you FTP them to me so I can put them on my site?
PM me your email and I'll email them to you.  One of them is split into 2 pieces to fit in my email.  You need to click on the exe file to unite them in windows. 
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"
-Rabbi Meir Kahane Zs'l HYD