Author Topic: The problem with Netanyahu  (Read 498 times)

Offline zachor_ve_kavod

• Master JTFer
The problem with Netanyahu
« on: February 03, 2009, 02:28:04 PM »
In this interview for Fox News, Netanyahu defended Israel's right to self defense.  You might ask 'isn't that a good thing?'.  I don't think it is a good thing.  Nothing he says is technically wrong, but the nature of the interview and the position he takes is fundamentally wrong.  Netanyahu poses a question to the people of America, asking them what they would do if 6000 rockets had been fired into their cities. 

One problem with this, is that any decent American would understand this without being asked and any indecent American would be against Israel regardless of having to ponder that question.  Netanyahu then is in a sense 'preaching to the converted'.  A more serious consequence of such an interview, is that it makes the issue of Israel's right to self-defense a debatable question.  To me, it is obscene that an Israeli member of parliament would even think to make this an issue.  There should be no debate about Israel's right to self-defense, none.

Unlike the Peace Now traitors, Netanyahu is at least advocating in favour of Israel, but there should be no need for advocacy in the matter.  Netanyahu appeals to the 'international community'.  Think about that.  This is the same international community that condemns Israel's existence.  There should be no appeals made to them.  The most I would ever say to the international community is 'whether you accept us or don't accept us, stay out of our way or you're going to get hurt.  We are not looking for your support.  We answer to Something far higher than you'.

I happen to think that Netanyahu is minimally better than Olmert or Livni or any of the other labourites.  But this pathetic, grovelling to the nations for their understanding reveals what a weak character Netanyahu is.  On a brighter note, in this interview Netanyahu did mention the problem of Iran.  So in my opinion it would be better to have a weak Israeli government that takes some action on Iran than a weak Israeli government that takes no action on Iran.

Here is the interview below:

http://www.road90.com/watch.php?id=FoqxEqkFtI

Offline Xoce

• Master JTFer
Re: The problem with Netanyahu
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 03:02:26 PM »
Well, Netanyahu does SPEAK well, and can communicate to English speakers very well.  At the very least some of what he says, especially about Iran, will be heard by English speakers around the world and people might wake up.
What he will actually DO, I understand, is a whole different story.
aka Someone Else