Author Topic: I have some questions about New York City  (Read 1129 times)

Offline JewishAmericanPatriot

• Pro JTFer
I have some questions about New York City
« on: February 04, 2009, 07:25:26 PM »
The last time I actually went to NYC was in the late 1970s, and there is a conference coming up next month in Manhattan that I'd really like to go to. Thing is, I don't drive and am worried about having to come back to PA from NYC late at night.

OK, this is the situation. I'm very involved in Jewish genealogy, and there is a conference for those of Italian Jewish ancestry (like me). Its being held in March at someplace called The Brotherhood Synagogue, 28 Gramercy Park South, Manh.

How would I get there from 34th street-Penn Station (I'd be taking the bus into NYC)?  Is it a long walk? I don't remember the NYC mass transit system (other than the B train to Brooklyn!) Could I walk it? I don't mind walking, I do it all the time. I just want to be sure its not 10 miles!

Is NYC safe after 5 PM, to go to 34th street-Penn Station from that Gramercy Park location (going home after the conference)?

I have mixed feelings about this...I really want to go to the conference, but as I get older, I am more and more hesitant to be out after dark...esp. in NYC!

I'm also having mixed feelings because this synagogue sounds like a liberal one, and after the past election I'm afraid if I'm around any liberals (esp. Jewish ones), I may be tempted to rip their heads off! (verbally or otherwise, lol)

Any advice?
JOIN THE ANTI-OBAMA RESISTANCE!

America's Last Stand: http://americaslaststand.angelfire.com

SAVAGE INGRATITUDE: http://www.savageingratitude.com

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: I have some questions about New York City
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 07:48:23 PM »
New York City is sort of a safe place today in most neighborhoods. The spot your looking to go to is in one of the better parts of the city. It seems to be about 20 blocks from Pen and a short cab ride would not be all that expensive. Traveling the trains from PA and back would be the bigger safety factor in my mind. NYC at 5pm in that neighborhood should be fine.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline Abben

• Master JTFer
  • Down with obama!
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 08:57:48 PM »
34st Penn station is always safe. There are a lot of cops walking around you will get a lot of beggars asking you for change. The mta busses are very slow as well.

Offline SavetheWest

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 10:02:33 PM »
The NYC you visited in the 1970's isn't on the same planet as the one that's been around since 1994.  NYC 1990 had 2200+ murders. 2008 had a few hundred.

Offline IsraelForever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 03:00:52 AM »
I walk all over Manhattan.  I walk fast and I can walk from Penn Station to 28 Gramercy Park in 30 minutes.  If you walk at a medium clip, you can do it in 40-45 minutes.  If you dally, it'll take you an hour.  If you're carrying a heavy bag, don't walk it at all -- take a cab.  Cabs wait in a line in front of Penn Station -- right on 7th Avenue.  It's not that long of a walk (at least for me).  Getting out of Penn Station can be tricky -- there's so many exits, and it's like Times Square during New Year's Eve down there at rush hour.  You want to get out on the 7th Avenue (Seventh Avenue) side.  So just ask someone to point you that way.  If you do end up getting out elsewhere, just ask anyone to point you to 7th Avenue.  Now, I would say the easiest way to walk there is to walk south (that's downtown -- the street numbers decrease as you go south -- and, as you leave Penn Station, that's to your right).... so walk south on 7th Avenue and go to 23rd Street, which is only 10 blocks.  Make a left (now you'll be walking east) on 23rd Street (23rd Street is a major crosstown street, where traffic goes both ways...  you're always safer on a major street like that), and walk to Park Avenue South.  You will pass the following avenues (as you're walking east on 23rd street: you will pass 6th Avenue (which is also known as "Avenue of the Americas" -- that's what the street sign will say, but New Yorkers know it as 6th Avenue), then 5th Avenue and Broadway (5th Avenue and Broadway meet (and cross each other) at 23rd Street), and then you'll reach Park Avenue South.  At Park Avenue South, turn right (now you'll be going south again) and go 3 blocks to 20th street.  At 20th street, turn left (now you're going east again), go one block to Irving Place (before you get to Irving Place, Gramercy Park begins [it's an actual little park] -- once you pass Irving Place, look at the buildings on your right and look for #28.  I just looked at "Street View" on google.maps, and I think the Shul is just past the park itself (it's a small park), on the right side.   Good luck.  And, again, if you're pressed for time, just take a cab.  It's gotta be under $10 to get there.  And good luck.

Offline JewishAmericanPatriot

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 02:12:15 PM »
Thanks to everyone for the good advice, its going to come in handy if I do definitely go!

Someone from this forum PMed me about going to it, so if he/she also goes, maybe I'll have someone to go with!

Thanks again,

Chana
JOIN THE ANTI-OBAMA RESISTANCE!

America's Last Stand: http://americaslaststand.angelfire.com

SAVAGE INGRATITUDE: http://www.savageingratitude.com

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Be a light in the darkness.......
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 02:26:00 PM »
The NYC you visited in the 1970's isn't on the same planet as the one that's been around since 1994.  NYC 1990 had 2200+ murders. 2008 had a few hundred.

Really? what happened?

I was there in '85 visiting.

SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Offline SavetheWest

• Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 04:28:43 PM »

Really? what happened?

They elected Rudy Guillani followed by Bloomberg and as liberal as they both are, they at least were better than Ed Koch or David Dinkins who were the biggest disasters as mayors and should not have run a Mr Softee truck, never mind a city. 

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Be a light in the darkness.......
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 12:38:43 PM »

Really? what happened?

Oh, ok..... :laugh:

They elected Rudy Guillani followed by Bloomberg and as liberal as they both are, they at least were better than Ed Koch or David Dinkins who were the biggest disasters as mayors and should not have run a Mr Softee truck, never mind a city. 
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל