Author Topic: Ideas for good meals? ( and how long does it take start to finish)  (Read 1721 times)

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
Anybody want to contribute meals they make regularly.. i.e. convenient, healthy stuff.

And if a meal requires 10 different ingredients that is ridiculous!

I mean convenient in terms of getting the ingredients and making it.

Anything from most convenient things, like cottage cheese(0 preparation and just need to wash up a spoon!).. To things that require some cooking.. But nothing complicated.

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
Re: Ideas for good meals? ( and how long does it take start to finish)
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 08:07:40 PM »
I open a can of tuna in water and blend it with salad dressing.  This is usually the extend of my cooking, lol.  Also make a lot of grilled chicken and turkey burgers, or if I have the patience I bake some chicken drumsticks with the skin removed in some bbq sauce.  If I don't have the patience, which is most of the time, I pick up salads and throw on turkey breast.  The rest of the time I pick up some food from Mom, which is the best alternative of course. O0

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 10:05:32 PM »
I open a can of tuna in water and blend it with salad dressing. 
<snip>

you throw the tuna and water and salad dressing in a blender?

How do you do the salad dressing?

Regarding grilling burgers. I used to but saw the stuff oozing out of them and if it is oil, I figured the boiling oil is probably unhealthy. I know boiling olive oil is bad, it goes carcinogenic.

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 03:25:10 AM »
Yeah, you can throw the tuna and salad dressing in a blender, or just drain the water and mash it up with salad dressing by hand if you're in a rush. I like the Walden Farms' dressings that I find in the produce section of the supermarket.  They are fat an even calorie free.  I haven't heard that about the burgers, but I suppose it's possible.

Offline Haim_Ben_Shimon_3JFB

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 10:17:35 AM »
ah warning, very addictive!! made easy just take a slice of bread and slice of cheese and throw it in the microwave for couple of seconds till cheese gets melted Dont over do though. idk if you like melted cheese but every kind tastes different when its melted just as not melted. you choose which you like. i used to do it when i was small lol

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 12:49:11 PM »
ah warning, very addictive!! made easy just take a slice of bread and slice of cheese and throw it in the microwave for couple of seconds till cheese gets melted Dont over do though. idk if you like melted cheese but every kind tastes different when its melted just as not melted. you choose which you like. i used to do it when i was small lol

that is pathetic!

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 01:02:53 PM »
I am referring to good healthy meals in decent quantities.

I did indeed do the cheese in bread in microwave when I was a kid. Nowhere near as good as in the grill.  But either way, it is not very filling.. I guess you can do a load of them in there at once. But
White bread is not healthy in large amounts.  Wholemeal is but does not do my bowels any good, they are sensitive.  ok. so i was a bit unfair to you, it is not pathetic!(if using wholemeal bread).

Offline Ehud

• Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 06:48:54 AM »
Marinated chicken breasts in teriyaki sauce and white rice mixed with vegetables and spices of your choice. 

Chicken parmesean is healthy and easy to make, just get some Italian bread crumbs, wet your chicken breasts and cover them in the bread crumbs.  Bake at 425 for about 25 minutes and then add tomato sauce and a bit of mozzarella cheese.  Makes an easy, tasty, and lowfat meal.

Salad with fat free asian style dressing and chicken breast pieces or cooked tofu.  Very low in fat and high in protein. 

Please post some of your ideas for good healthy meals if you've got any! 
"The Jews will eventually have to face up to what you're dealing with here.  The arabs will never love you for what good you've brought them.  They don't know how to really love.  But hate!  Oh, G-d, can they hate!  And they have a deep, deep, deep resentment because you have jolted them from their delusions of grandeur and shown them for what they are-a decadent, savage people controlled by a religion that has stripped them of all human ambition . . . except for the few cruel enough and arrogant enough to command them as one commands a mob of sheep.  You are dealing with a mad society and you'd better learn how to control it."

-Excerpt from The Haj by Leon Uris

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 03:28:30 PM »
sounds great..

I have had no luck cooking chicken..

I have a gas cooker that takes about 3 hours to do it. Apparently electric ones  can do it in 1 hour.  "I think".

I may get a george foreman, or george foreman style grill, to cook chicken. boneless chicken breasts.

I hope they don`t come out dry though. Do you add anything to them before cooking them? Is that what the marinated part is?

I have heard of putting honey on them before cooking them. And cooking them in liquid (obviously the liquid and perhaps the honey part, is not possible in the george foreman.

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2008, 12:07:59 AM »

that is pathetic!

:::D

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2008, 12:09:55 AM »
Here's a good one.  Cook up some brown rice, healthier than white rice.  Grill some chicken breast in tomato sauce and serve it over the rice.  You can add a green vegetable if you like.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2008, 02:26:21 AM »
I always worry about chicken, what if it is not properly cooked.

An oven, I can understand would cook it.. (though how can you tell)

but a grill, I would be even less sure.

my oven is slow. I could get a george foreman type thing, but then I guess I cannot cook chicken in tomato sauce or anything else

Offline Ehud

• Master JTFer
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2008, 06:25:45 AM »
I always worry about chicken, what if it is not properly cooked.

An oven, I can understand would cook it.. (though how can you tell)

but a grill, I would be even less sure.

my oven is slow. I could get a george foreman type thing, but then I guess I cannot cook chicken in tomato sauce or anything else

I've never used a foreman grill to cook chicken, but it could turn out nicely.  The key to baking chicken breasts is to cook it on a high temperature for a short time to keep the moisture in.  I usually cover the chicken completely with aluminum foil, set the oven to 450 and cook for about 25 minutes.  Same applies to fish like Salmon, high temperature and short bake time are essential.  It's pretty easy to tell if it's done, take it out, cut it in half and take a look.  If it's all white then it is good to eat, cook longer if you see any pink (other than the light pinkish color of the blood and juices) 
"The Jews will eventually have to face up to what you're dealing with here.  The arabs will never love you for what good you've brought them.  They don't know how to really love.  But hate!  Oh, G-d, can they hate!  And they have a deep, deep, deep resentment because you have jolted them from their delusions of grandeur and shown them for what they are-a decadent, savage people controlled by a religion that has stripped them of all human ambition . . . except for the few cruel enough and arrogant enough to command them as one commands a mob of sheep.  You are dealing with a mad society and you'd better learn how to control it."

-Excerpt from The Haj by Leon Uris

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2008, 06:48:00 AM »
Yes, as long as it's not pink in the middle, you're good to go. O0