Author Topic: Your thoughts on Affirmative Action  (Read 2945 times)

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: Your thoughts on Affirmative Action
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2009, 05:24:34 AM »
Thanks to years of affirmative action we now have the America we are dealing with today. You can't get anything fixed or done correctly. G-d forbid you have an issue with one of the companies you deal with you have a snowballs chance in hell of getting it straightened out. The people in charge in most companies today are the product of an affirmative action education and most of them believe that affirmative action is the only game in town. Private business should be allowed to hire who they see fit. I as a white person running a business would be more comfortable dealing with people of my own kind who think as I do and have the same values. Why would I want to deal with race issues and resentment every time I had to tell someone to do something in my place of business. People doing the hiring for a company should be able to pick from the best of the applicants regardless of race. Today companies will hire the unqualified minority just not to have any static. If affirmative action was not in the picture some of the people today that now have positions in higher education and in the work place might actually have had to get there through some hard work.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline Ithaca-37

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2009, 08:08:51 AM »
"but the big companies would care more about AA than profits because their executives are sick lefties"

I hear the question a lot:  "You think that you know more about running a major corporation than those execs.  They support AA because it benefits the company."

In a sense, I guess.  They're still hiring unqualified malcontents, but the real plus is this:  Public support of AA by those execs buys silence from Jesse Jackson and other like racial ambulance-chasers.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2009, 12:05:45 PM »
I think I see what True Conservative is getting at. 

Assuming there were no coercive affirmative action laws on the books, and a company wanted to deliberately hire unqualified minorities, or people of any race, then that's their own problem.  I certainly don't agree with it.  But it's their business to lose, and they can hire whomever they want.

Now in terms of a business denying service to a potential minority customer, I have mixed feelings.  On the one hand, a business owner can serve anyone he or she wants.  They shouldn't be forced to take customers they don't want to deal with.  On the flip side of it, why would anyone want to be served by a business owner that doesn't want them as a customer? 

A few years ago, there was this hair salon that advertised "cute short haircuts."  It was later discovered that the owner refused to have women over 40 as his customers.  There was a whole big stink in the newspapers about it.  And I never heard of that salon owner afterwards.  I guess enough women found out about him, and boycotted his salon. 

More recently, in New Zealand, there was this Muslim owner of a coffee bar who threw to Israeli womem out of his shop when he discovered they were speaking Hebrew.  While I hate Hamas supporters with a passion, it was his business, and he could decide who he wanted to serve.  As for the Jewish women, I heard they were going to sue, which I disagree with.  They should have just boycotted his business, and encouraged others to do the same.