Author Topic: Obama's beast from hell is closer to Senate confirmation for H.U.D.  (Read 722 times)

Offline SavetheWest

• Master JTFer
I'm warnign you, with this much power this egomaniac will be a nightmare for homeowners and business owners.  Sims said he plans to trun H.U.D. back to its original mission.  What was H.U.D.'s original mission?  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HUD_(housing)

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/politics/2008748299_simsinterview16m.html?syndication=rss

Sims looks with pride at past and next job
In an interview, Ron Sims reflected on 23 years in King County government, saying he's done with elective office and that land preservation is one of his proudest accomplishments. Of his future at the Department of Housing and Urban Development, Sims says, "I can be persuasive in a way that empowers people to do something."

By Keith Ervin

Seattle Times staff reporter

GREG GILBERT / THE SEATTLE TIMES

King County Executive Ron Sims has been nominated to be deputy secretary of the Department of Housing and Urban Development.
Related

King County Executive Ron Sims says he's proud of preserving county land, won't miss anti-tax activist Tim Eyman, is done running for office, and is "still amazed" voters elected an African-American president.

In an interview Friday, Sims reflected on his 23 years in King County government — a record-breaking 12 years of it as executive — his expected appointment to a job in the Obama administration, and life after politics.

President Obama is nominating Sims as deputy director of the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). Sims awaits Senate confirmation.

Here are interview highlights, edited for space:

Q: What was your proudest moment as county executive?

A: The complexities of being able to negotiate [preserving] the 90,000 acres of forestland on the Hancock forest, and, in addition, the 45,000 acres that we took in recently from Plum Creek without spending a dime of public money — that was really, really significant....

We have grown smartly. We have been able to marry every feature you need to have to sustain the prosperity of this region. That was my goal.

Q: So what would you want to do over?

A: The financial [computer] systems replacement project. When we launched that project we had two legacy systems. We still were able to implement some of it. I cut it off early, and people don't give me credit for it.

Q: HUD's computer system has been described as so outdated it's all but impossible to budget on it. With your experience with the King County project, do you feel you're up to that job?

A: I do. I learned a lot from that job: that you've got to change the business practices. You're always going to have a problem with the software if you don't change the culture, the people working with it.

Q: As chair of Sound Transit, you got the light-rail system started, you got the plan to get it built. Then you opposed the plan for expanding the system. Do you believe the voters got it wrong?

A: The voters are always right. I'm not going to accuse them of getting it wrong. They've elected me several times.

I've supported an integrated transportation system. We have to have both rail and buses. At that time we were projecting that the largest transit system, Metro, was not going to have the capacity to deliver people to that rail spine.

Q: Many rural property owners said, about the critical-areas ordinance [CAO], that you took away their use of two-thirds of their land. Do you have any regrets over that legislation?

A: I don't have any regrets over the legislation. I wish we had been able to articulate the value of it better. That kind of policy can save Puget Sound; you have the scientists saying it. When I hear people laud the CAO, I say, "Where were you when I was getting pilloried?"

Q: You were the first African American to be elected to a county office in the state of Washington. Now we have the first African-American president. He's invited you to join his administration. What does that mean to you?

A: I'm obviously proud that this country elected an African-American president. I'm still amazed that they did.

But to know him is to understand why they did. Every 50 years this country in its history has elected somebody who has it all and is what is called a watershed president and is among the greatest. I think he is going to be, if not the greatest, one of the greatest presidents. What a disgusting maggot

I was talking to my mother and I said I've been asked by President Barack Obama to become deputy secretary of Housing and Urban Development. She had the most radiant smile, as if it was almost perfect. My parents were civil-rights activists, and my being selected by President Obama to her was a highlight.

Q: Have you paid all your federal, state and local taxes?

A: I certainly have. I have no tax problem whatsoever.

Q: Will you miss Tim Eyman?

A: No, not at all.

Q: What difference will you make at HUD?

A: Secretary [Shaun] Donovan will make the most difference. I think the president and Secretary Donovan wanted me because I have a style where it's easy for me to work across silos and get people to work together. I can be persuasive in a way that empowers people to do something.

Q: Do you have a plan to help homeowners stay in their homes if they're facing foreclosure?

A: The president will announce that [this] week.

Q: Are you going to be bringing home some bacon to Seattle and King County?

A: I can't preference Seattle and King County over other jurisdictions. HUD is not allowed to do that. I look forward to working with Sen. Patty Murray and Congressman Norm Dicks and members of the finance committees and appropriations committees on various policies that I think would benefit this area.

I will live in D.C. and I will work really, really hard and I'll serve the president with every bit of energy that I have. But, hey, I love this area, which is why I'm going to come back and retire here. I've said we're in the best place in the world to live.

Q: When you come back, do you anticipate you will retire or do something else?

A: I'll never run for office again. That's really clear. That is not going to be part of my career path.

Q: Why not?

A: My staff will always tell you I've loved governance and I've never liked campaigning.

Q: Are you in the future going to do anything like you did with Operation Nightwatch, working with street youth?

A: I probably will not work with street youth. I think my wife's goal is that we work with an aid agency and work overseas. She's ready to go now.

Q: Even though this will be your home, you'll be away again, after D.C.?

A: I won't be away for years at a time. Maybe a month at a time.

She's been my partner and followed me. I'll be her partner and follow her — darn it! — because she likes to go way out there.

Offline TheCoon

• Master JTFer
Re: Obama's beast from hell is closer to Senate confirmation for H.U.D.
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 09:00:54 AM »
Worship the black god or burn in eternal damnation!
The city isn't what it used to be. It all happened so fast. Everything went to crap. It's like... everyone's sense of morals just disappeared. Bad economy made things worse. Jobs started drying up, then the stores had to shut down. Then a black man was elected president. He was supposed to change things. He didn't. More and more people turned to crime and violence... The town becomes gripped with fear. Dark times, dark times... I am the hero this town needs. I am... The Coon!!!

Offline SavetheWest

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 02:31:57 AM »
I can't tell you how awful this beast Ron Sims is.  Anyone who got elected for an unprecedented 12 years in King County, WA is a hideous deformed creature. 

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Be a light in the darkness.......
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 03:49:49 AM »
FYI, HUD is corrupt...
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל