Author Topic: Illinois gov.: Burris should resign from Senate  (Read 409 times)

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
Illinois gov.: Burris should resign from Senate
« on: February 20, 2009, 04:19:10 PM »
CHICAGO – Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn says Sen. Roland Burris should resign his post for the good of the state.

Quinn said Friday that his fellow Democrat, Burris, is an honorable man. But he says controversy surrounding Burris' appointment has cast a shadow over his service in the Senate.

The governor says a new senator should be chosen by special election.

Burris was appointed by former Gov. Rod Blagojevich, who was later impeached and removed from office.

Burris initially said there was no discussion of him doing Blagojevich any favors in exchange for the appointment. But Burris later acknowledged he did discuss the vacant seat with the governor's friends and allies. He says he was asked to raise money for Blagojevich but couldn't find anyone willing to contribute.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090220/ap_on_re_us/burris_governor

Offline P J C

• Master JTFer
  • Liberty and Justice for All
    • Take Back the West
Re: Illinois gov.: Burris should resign from Senate
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 04:20:31 PM »
Wasn't this guy Blago's lieutenant governor? You can't tell me that he didn't know what was going on.
"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2

Offline ag337

• Master JTFer
Re: Illinois gov.: Burris should resign from Senate
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 06:47:37 PM »
From the moment I heard about Burris's appointment by Blago, I knew that something was going to go down with this guy.  There was no way in my mind that Burris came out of the corrupt political machine that is Chicago; untouched by the corruption.