Do you like mugwort / Beifuß?

Yes
1 (25%)
No
0 (0%)
Else
3 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Do you like mugwort/Beifuß?  (Read 870 times)

Offline Ulli

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Do you like mugwort/Beifuß?
« on: February 25, 2009, 04:01:15 PM »
I like it.

It is very great to put some of it inside the chicken, goose or duck you want to roast.

It makes it very light. It is like magic. You didn't taste the fat. Perhaps there is a biochemical process, but I didn't know exactly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mugwort

"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline Vito

• Master JTFer
Re: Do you like mugwort/Beifuß?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 04:13:33 PM »
In the wiki link, it says it also goes under the name "St. Johns plant", that sounds the most familiar to me. I will have to try it. Do you need a lot for one full chicken?

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 04:14:34 PM »
I don't think I've had that before but it sounds really tasty.

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 04:24:29 PM »
In the wiki link, it says it also goes under the name "St. Johns plant", that sounds the most familiar to me. I will have to try it. Do you need a lot for one full chicken?

No, for a chicken a teaspoon of pulverized mugwort is enough to get the effect.

If you will use it fresh, I think you should take a little bit more.

I have never heard St. John's plant for Beifuss. St. John's plant is Johanniskraut. This is imo a kind of medical herb that is used as anti-depressiva and    hypnotic.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 04:29:34 PM by Pheasant »
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline Spectator

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 04:32:15 PM »
I never knew mugwort can be used as a spice. Does it have a slightly bitter taste? I tried to taste it as is when I was a child  :)
(If I don't confuse it with some other plant)
Do not put your trust in princes, nor in a son of man, in whom there is no help (Psalms 146:3)

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 04:35:38 PM »
I never knew mugwort can be used as a spice. Does it have a slightly bitter taste? I tried to taste it as is when I was a child  :)
(If I don't confuse it with some other plant)

No, you are right. It is a little bit bitter. But only like a breath. It doesn't make the dish really bitter. This very light bitter taste is only in the background.

Offline Spectator

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 04:46:10 PM »
I have no doubt. And even if it remained a bit bitter, it woudn't prevent me from tasting it. Some spices in Israel are so "combustible" that you feel  :nuke: when you add even a small amount to your food.
Do not put your trust in princes, nor in a son of man, in whom there is no help (Psalms 146:3)

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 04:50:28 PM »
I have no doubt. And even if it remained a bit bitter, it woudn't prevent me from tasting it. Some spices in Israel are so "combustible" that you feel  :nuke: when you add even a small amount to your food.

Like chayenne pepper?  :::D

Offline Spectator

• Master JTFer
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 05:01:07 PM »
I don't know what chayenne pepper is, though if it's pepper it must be so :)

A good example of a dangerous Israeli spice is arisa (אריסה)

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 05:11:45 PM »
I don't know what chayenne pepper is, though if it's pepper it must be so :)

A good example of a dangerous Israeli spice is arisa (אריסה)

Oh I see on the label garlic and pepperoni.

I can imagine, that you will act like a dragon if you eat too much of it.  :laugh:

Offline Spectator

• Master JTFer
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 05:32:52 PM »
Yes, sure  :)

I wish I could cook well..

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2009, 06:34:04 PM »
Don't know what mugwort is. It looks like tarragon (Artemisia dracunculus) though. I'm sure it is a very good herb, but why would I want to eliminate fat from the flavor? I rather like to taste the fat when I eat meat!