Author Topic: California at 10.1% UNEMPLOYMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 1869 times)

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
California at 10.1% UNEMPLOYMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« on: March 02, 2009, 03:53:06 PM »
WOW!!!!  I heard an idiot economist say last month that California would NEVER go to double digit unemployment.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-california-jobs28-2009feb28,0,3811550.story

With more than 1 in 10 workers unemployed in January, the state registers its highest jobless rate since June 1983.

By Marc Lifsher
February 28, 2009
Reporting from Sacramento -- Lackluster spending on clothes, cars, legal services and most everything else has left California's economy listless, just about guaranteeing that the state's 10.1% unemployment in January will march upward until at least the end of the year, economists predicted.

The Golden State lost 79,300 payroll jobs in January, pushing the monthly unemployment rate to its highest level since June 1983, when the country was starting to recover from a deep recession.

Job losses in January escalated across all industries -- including, notably, motion picture and sound recording -- with the state's unemployment rate jumping 1.4 percentage points from a revised 8.7% for December.

Unfortunately, California still is falling into what appears to be a crippling downturn, said Howard Roth, chief economist at the state Department of Finance.

"There's very little demand out there," he said. "Certainly consumers are depressed, and businesses aren't going to buy as long as consumers aren't buying."

Where have all the jobs gone?
Announced layoffs in 2009
Recent cuts | Money & Co. | Full coverage

The stagnation was even more pervasive in Los Angeles County, where unemployment rose from 9.2% in December to 10.5%, almost twice the rate recorded in January 2008.

All areas of the local economy declined in January compared with the previous month, with motion picture and sound recording losing 22,300 jobs, retail trade 15,100, educational and health services 7,000 and leisure and hospitality 4,100.

Layoffs by large California employers, which must be reported to government agencies, accounted for nearly 1 out of every 4 so-called mass layoffs nationwide, the U.S. Department of Labor said this week.

According to state filings, the layoffs affected all areas of the economy. Financial giant JPMorgan Chase listed more than 1,000 at locations in both Northern and Southern California.

No one is safe, said Esther Surjanto, who last month lost her job as an order clerk at a Los Angeles garment plant.

"We have no time to pity party," she said. "Even the big, dream companies where you'd like to work are laying people off."

"California is hemorrhaging faster than the U.S. economy," said Sung Won Sohn, an economist at Cal State Channel Islands. California consistently has ranked among a handful of states with the country's highest unemployment.

The jobs picture here is likely to keep deteriorating because the state no longer can assume that education and health services will generate new jobs, Sohn warned. "Given the budget crisis we're having, I don't think we can count on government to prop up the economy either,"

New data on the national economy's performance, also released Friday, affirmed Sohn's grim assessment. The Commerce Department reported that the economy contracted at an annualized rate of 6.2% in the last quarter of 2008, the most severe slowdown in 26 years.

"The road to full economic recovery will not be short," Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger cautioned. He said the state was counting on President Obama's stimulus package and more modest efforts on the state level to set the stage for new job growth.

But at least some of the positive effect of the $787-billion stimulus program could be lost to California now that the state has raised taxes by $12.5 billion as part of a deal to close a $41-billion budget deficit, economist Esmael Adibi of Chapman University in Orange said.

"I don't expect as much stimulus as there could have been," he said. "After the budget passed, I became more pessimistic about the outlook for job creation here."

Although stimulus spending on highways, levees and other public works could eventually lead to more hiring, the economy here won't begin to turn around until "housing finds its bottom," said Russ DeVol, director of regional economics for the Milken Institute in Santa Monica. The odds of that happening this year diminish with each onslaught of bad news, he said.

The state's economic decline is sweeping, making the recession the "worst in the postwar period," DeVol said.

Times staff writer Nathan Olivarez-Giles contributed to this report.

[email protected]

California caught in an avalanche
    The recession has been particularly hard on the state's industries. A1

Offline Confederate Kahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
Re: California at 10.1% UNEMPLOYMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 04:35:51 PM »
What did you expect?  California is in bankruptcy.  Plus they have allot of illegals there as well which is mostly the cause of it.  I believe the unemployment rate will continue to go up.
Chad M ~ Your rebel against white guilt

Offline SavetheWest

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 05:12:37 PM »
California is a mess.  The bloated state budget with all the useless programs on diversity and midnight basketball.  They have state workers who earn waaaaaaay too much, too many jobs and a huge burden of million of illegals who need public assistance while hampering the police force and hospitals. 

Where are the jobs that Americans wont do?  What lie are we being told now about this?

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 05:25:22 PM »
It's funny how allot of these blue states have massive overtaxing governments,  a high deficit and a high unemployment rate.

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Be a light in the darkness.......
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 05:50:12 PM »
Oregon has a HUGE problem with illegal drug trafficing coming up from Mexico, through California and into Oregon via the gangs.

Huge.
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Offline SavetheWest

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 05:59:36 PM »
Oregon has a HUGE problem with illegal drug trafficing coming up from Mexico, through California and into Oregon via the gangs.

Huge.

BTW Oregon and Washington are next.  Oregon has a $3 billion deficit and WA has a $8.5 billion deficit.  Seattle and Portland are holding both states hostage with allowing massive legal and illegal immigration and spending even under a massive debt.  The governor of WA, Christine Gregiore (may her name and memory be eliminated) said she's having a hiring freeze.  Well, there are 6000 exceptions allowed and the first ones are in the governors office.  Then you look at Sam Adams, mayor of Portland, having an underaged, homosexual affair that he lied about saying that people were falsely claiming that gays liked underage boys and that was prejudiced. Well, he indeed had sex with an underage boy and won't resign. Thousands around Portland came out to support this beast and it shows they hold neither the mayor of Portland nor the governor of WA to account, unless they aren't pro gay enough. 

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 06:12:16 PM »
California is a mess.  The bloated state budget with all the useless programs on diversity and midnight basketball.  They have state workers who earn waaaaaaay too much, too many jobs and a huge burden of million of illegals who need public assistance while hampering the police force and hospitals. 

Where are the jobs that Americans wont do?  What lie are we being told now about this?

The worst is the California Retirement for public employees.  Its devouring all the revenue from the state... and as the economy gets worse, it eats up a higher percentage.

Offline SavetheWest

• Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 06:25:57 PM »

The worst is the California Retirement for public employees.  Its devouring all the revenue from the state... and as the economy gets worse, it eats up a higher percentage.

I bet that's awful.  NYC is probably not far off..I'm all for paying a fair wage to people but when people earning $30-50,000 per year are paying for city and state workers making $150,000, it cannot be sustained.

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 06:30:27 PM »

I bet that's awful.  NYC is probably not far off..I'm all for paying a fair wage to people but when people earning $30-50,000 per year are paying for city and state workers making $150,000, it cannot be sustained.

I have a feeling that whatever happens here in Cali will happen in all the blue states within a year.  By the end of this year, California will be in a catastrophe that is unimaginable.  I really think that Arnuld will be begging Obama for a bailout by September.

Offline P J C

• Master JTFer
  • Liberty and Justice for All
    • Take Back the West
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 07:40:49 PM »
That's it?
"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 08:20:01 PM »
This is BS too. We are at at least 16%--possibly close to 20%--real unemployment.  :o

Offline RanterMaximus

• Master JTFer
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 08:31:17 PM »
I think on a national scale unemployment is higher than we are told.  Even if the numbers are accurate, just look at how many people have lost good paying jobs and are forced to work at Wal-Mart or other low wage jobs.  I know a lot of people who worked in manufacturing, making good money with good benefits, and when they got laid off, they had to take jobs where they make as much in a week as they once did in a day.

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2009, 09:17:13 PM »
This is BS too. We are at at least 16%--possibly close to 20%--real unemployment.  :o

I understand that... but I'm just trying to compare apples to apples... for historical comparisons.

Offline takebackourtemple

• Master JTFer
  • May this be the year that the temple is liberated.
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2009, 09:30:08 PM »
With all the taxes NY, CA, MI and IL charge their residents, you would think these should be among the amongst wealthy states.
Does it bother you that you have to face the dome and the rock to say the sh'ma?

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2009, 09:32:10 PM »
With all the taxes NY, CA, MI and IL charge their residents, you would think these should be among the amongst wealthy states.

True but all the states mentioned are filled with apes & roaches

Offline CorrieDeservedIt

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2009, 10:56:51 PM »

True but all the states mentioned are filled with apes & roaches

and open minded liberals. Which city is worse off in california though.

maybe san fransicko?

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2009, 11:26:52 PM »
It's easy, the regimes of these states feel they can get away with taxing at whatever rate they like because they are so "desirable" to live in. Unfortunately, I can tell you right here and now that the vast majority of us Califwhornians have no problem with being taxed to death--they don't want to "hurt the schools and libraries". Nice compliant little brainwashed dhimmis we are.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2009, 12:34:23 AM »

I would probably add almost the whole New England area to that list.  I have actually noticed middle class people in those states usually vote against there economic interest for so called progressive policies and issues.

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2009, 01:15:05 AM »

This is what I don't understand...

Why on earth are we paying them SO MUCH to begin with?

It's no wonder the government's are having massive deficiet's...the money is being mismanaged, etc....

SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2009, 01:16:51 AM »

Huge.

BTW Oregon and Washington are next.  Oregon has a $3 billion deficit and WA has a $8.5 billion deficit.  Seattle and Portland are holding both states hostage with allowing massive legal and illegal immigration and spending even under a massive debt.  The governor of WA, Christine Gregiore (may her name and memory be eliminated) said she's having a hiring freeze.  Well, there are 6000 exceptions allowed and the first ones are in the governors office.  Then you look at Sam Adams, mayor of Portland, having an underaged, homosexual affair that he lied about saying that people were falsely claiming that gays liked underage boys and that was prejudiced. Well, he indeed had sex with an underage boy and won't resign. Thousands around Portland came out to support this beast and it shows they hold neither the mayor of Portland nor the governor of WA to account, unless they aren't pro gay enough. 

Ohhh, I know....he won't resign, kudos to the people though who go to the City Hall meetings and are demanding he resign, he has to sit there and listen to 3 minutes per person... :::D

Maybe he will get tired of it after a few weeks and decide he can't take it any more....I dunno..

Let's hope so....

SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Offline GoIsraelGo!

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Wake up America, Obama is the enemy!
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2009, 02:37:03 AM »

States cannot get wealthy when Liberals bankrupt them. Liberals are experts in wasting money and destroying everything,
and when they lose, they call you names. 

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2009, 02:46:10 AM »
I have actually noticed middle class people in those states usually vote against there economic interest for so called progressive policies and issues.
Same is true for California. The more educated and economically successful you are, the more likely you are to be a leftist (I am talking primarily about whites here).

Offline Sentinel For Truth

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2009, 06:14:57 AM »
Schwarzenegger has already made two "furlough" days (unpaid leave days) per month for California public employees and in so doing has cut their pay by around 10% across-the-board, including reduced pay for medical and 24-hour facility employees (state hospitals and prisons) who can't be removed from their positions twice per month, compensated with time on the books that can't be cashed out later.

Things will get much worse, unfortunately.  The United States is entering the Greatest Depression.  I would recommend anyone to review the predictions of Gerald Celente who is an Italian-American trends forecaster and has an astonishing 85% success rate with his trend forecasts.  Listen to an interview with him here: