Poll

Do you like Chess? Vote

Yes
21 (84%)
No
4 (16%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Do you like chess?  (Read 6069 times)

Offline ProudAndZionist

• Master JTFer
  • PPE
Re: Do you like chess?
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2009, 08:24:56 PM »
I'm online. Moshe?
We are giants, giants in love...and if you ask that who are we, then you must be a dwarf.

Moshe92

« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2009, 08:34:22 PM »
me

Offline takebackourtemple

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
  • May this be the year that the temple is liberated.
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2009, 08:48:42 PM »
   I took a class once where we had to write a program to play chess and checkers. While checkers had a much simpler scoring system, the move generation was more complicated to program because of forced moves. Still, the checker program was able to look a little further ahead in the game tree than the chess program(we only had two minutes to calculate each move). Neither one was simple to write. I see that the solution to checkers was solved in 2007. The solution is a draw if both players play flawlessly. Maybe one day our machines will have enough memory and processing power to solve chess.
Does it bother you that you have to face the dome and the rock to say the sh'ma?

Offline Aces High

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2009, 08:56:12 PM »
My brother was better than me at chess, but I could beat him sometimes because I would take forever between moves.  He would go back to watching tv when it was my turn to move.   He inevitably would rush his moves to get the game moving along and make mistakes.  That's my trick!

Offline ProudAndZionist

• Master JTFer
  • PPE
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2009, 09:11:37 PM »
me

It was not so easy... ::)

(I played chess for 8 years BTW)
We are giants, giants in love...and if you ask that who are we, then you must be a dwarf.

Offline ProudAndZionist

• Master JTFer
  • PPE
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2009, 09:13:43 PM »
My brother was better than me at chess, but I could beat him sometimes because I would take forever between moves.  He would go back to watching tv when it was my turn to move.   He inevitably would rush his moves to get the game moving along and make mistakes.  That's my trick!

I often use the Italian Opening. But the Russian Hussar Game is also very good.

Offline ProudAndZionist

• Master JTFer
  • PPE
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2009, 09:14:36 PM »

Moshe92

« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2009, 09:15:15 PM »
Good game, PAZ. I don't know any chess strategy. I just play.

Offline ProudAndZionist

• Master JTFer
  • PPE
« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2009, 09:34:33 PM »

Well you don't seem beginner. You were good and you could be a perfect player if you would practice more. This last game was a bit disappointed for me. You would have to won. (I did that button mistake). Anyway congrats!

Moshe92

« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2009, 09:36:50 PM »

Well you don't seem beginner. You were good and you could be a perfect player if you would practice more. This last game was a bit disappointed for me. You would have to won. (I did that button mistake). Anyway congrats!

Well I made a mistake by trading queens at the end. Before that trade, I thought I had the game.

Offline ProudAndZionist

• Master JTFer
  • PPE
« Reply #60 on: August 03, 2009, 09:39:38 PM »

Well I made a mistake by trading queens at the end. Before that trade, I thought I had the game.

Check out some strategies. I played 4 games today. 3(or 4?) with you and 1 with Sarah. :-[ I won.

Offline ProudAndZionist

• Master JTFer
  • PPE
« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2009, 06:15:13 PM »
I have a time for a party, so a chess? ;) Who does want?

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #62 on: August 04, 2009, 06:48:20 PM »
Unfortunately, some of the champion chess-playing Jews have been monstrously self-hating, such as the late Bobby Fischer (ys"vz).

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2009, 06:50:24 PM »
PS to the best of my knowledge, Kasparov is only half-Jewish (Jewish father). I don't think he is a halachic Jew.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #64 on: August 04, 2009, 06:57:49 PM »
PS to the best of my knowledge, Kasparov is only half-Jewish (Jewish father). I don't think he is a halachic Jew.

You know which chess player really gets me upset?

His name was Bobby Fisher... I have heard that I may be distantly related to this putz. I used to have a autographed copy of one of his chess books... Thank Hashem I lost it and I hope this anti-semite is having a field day in hell right now...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Fisher
Anti-Jewish statements

Fischer, whose mother was Jewish,[112][213] made occasional hostile comments toward Jews from at least the early 1960s.[112][214] In 1961, he "made his first public statements despising Jews."[215] Jan Hein Donner wrote that at the time of Bled 1961, "He idolized Hitler and read everything about him that he could lay his hands on. He also championed a brand of antisemitism that could only be thought up by a mind completely cut off from reality."[89] Donner writes that he took Fischer to a war museum, which "left a great impression, since he is not an evil person, and afterwards he was more restrained in his remarks—to me, at least".[89]
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline ProudAndZionist

• Master JTFer
  • PPE
« Reply #65 on: August 04, 2009, 06:58:56 PM »

You know which chess player really gets me upset?

His name was Bobby Fisher... I have heard that I may be distantly related to this putz. I used to have a autographed copy of one of his chess books... Thank Hashem I lost it and I hope this anti-semite is having a field day in hell right now...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Fisher

Same here about Bobby Fisher...