Israel > The JTF Hebrew Club

The Hebrew Alphabet

(1/5) > >>

Dan Ben Noah:
Baruch Hashem, I have finally acquired Hebrew letter stickers for my keyboard.  This makes it much easier for me to type in Hebrew.  G-d willing, I will post the occasional lesson.  Unfortunately, I am unable to type the "nikud", or dots that determine voweling and other pronunciation rules.  But you need to know how to read Hebrew without those dots anyway, so I'll do my best without that ability to teach people some Modern Hebrew.  I don't have audio to go with this at the moment, but you can post any questions you have in the thread.  This is only meant to help people studying Hebrew, and is not an exhaustive course.  I would encourage people interested in learning Hebrew to look at the Hebrew Resources thread for more info. 

Let's start out with the alphabet, or "alef-bet", as it is called in Hebrew.

א     ALEF     (no sound, it is pronounced according to whatever vowel is associated with it)

ב     BET/VET     "b" as in bold, or "v" as in vast

ג     GIMEL     "g" as in game

ד     DALET     "d" as in door

ה     HE     "h" as in hope

ו     VAV     "v" as in voice, "o" as in north, or "u" as in flute

ז     ZAYIN     "z" as in zebra

ח     KHET     "kh" as in Chaim

ט     TET     "t" as in top

י     YOD     "y" as in yes, or "i" as in machine

כ, ך     KAF/KHAF     "k" as in king, or "kh" as in "Chaim"     (note: the KAF/KHAF on the left is how it is written when at the end of a word)

ל     LAMED     "l" as in love

מ, ם     MEM     "m" as in mother     (note: the MEM on the left is how it is written when at the end of a word)

נ, ן     NUN     "n" as in nature     (note: the NUN on the left is how it is written when at the end of a word)

ס     SAMEKH     "s" as in soul

ע     AYIN     (['] glottal stop, like you hear between the words "uh-oh")

פ, ף     PE/FE     "p" as in peace, or "f" as in fabulous     (note: the PE/FE on the left is how it is written when at the end of a word)

צ, ץ     TSADI     "ts" as in its     (note: the TSADI on the left is how it is written when at the end of a word)

ק     KOF     "k" as in king

ר     RESH     a French-sounding pronunciation of the letter "r"

ש     SHIN/SIN     "sh" as in shape, or "s" as in soul

ת     TAV     "t" as in top

Zelhar:
If you use winXP or Vista than I believe you can use נֶיקוּד
Here is how: place the caret right after the letter, then press caps-lock,  then press shift and any key from the first row (the row where the number keys are in).

Shlomo:
That is wonderful, Dan ben Noah! Great idea and great start!

Zelhar:

--- Quote from: Dan Ben Noah on March 16, 2009, 03:16:28 PM ---
--- Quote from: Zelhar on March 16, 2009, 02:13:56 PM ---If you use winXP or Vista than I believe you can use נֶיקוּד
Here is how: place the caret right after the letter, then press caps-lock,  then press shift and any key from the first row (the row where the number keys are in).

--- End quote ---

Hey, you're right, that does work.  I'll have to experiment with that a bit before starting lessons.  It will help me be able to do a lot more.  Thanks.  And feel free to jump in anytime since you're a native speaker.

--- End quote ---
OK I will.

Ulli:

--- Quote from: Shlomo on March 16, 2009, 02:38:19 PM ---That is wonderful, Dan ben Noah! Great idea and great start!

--- End quote ---

Yes!  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version