Author Topic: techeilet  (Read 4044 times)

Offline Chai

• Pro JTFer
techeilet
« on: April 01, 2009, 04:42:02 AM »
Does anyone here wear them , i have them for my talit and tzitit , (murex snail)  petil techeilet sells them ,however i wear a half a string because  the strictest authority , rambam says the minimum is a half a sting in case the color is not correct however if it is correct then you get the mitzvah it’s a win win situation.  :)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: techeilet
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 11:40:40 AM »
I would love to have a fringe of blue on my tzittzits... This mitzvah I have done with much pride for the last six years, since I did Teshuva in 2003. I was not aware that we know the correct animal from which to create the blue dye from.

http://www.askmoses.com/en/article/150,2540/Why-do-certain-people-have-a-blue-dyed-fringe-on-their-tzitzit.html

Why do certain people have a blue-dyed fringe on their tzitzit?

The Torah commands us (Numbers 15:38) to place a blue (“techailet”) fringe on the corner of our four-cornered garments. Our sages tell us that this fringe must be dyed with the blood of a (shell?) fish called “chilazon.” This rare fish is a denizen of the Mediterranean Sea.

After the Jewish people were exiled from the Holy Land, the chilazon was no longer available. Therefore, for many centuries Jews wore tzitzit without techailet.

In the past century, there were certain venerable rabbis who claimed to have identified the chilazon. Since then, tzitzit with techailet has made a comeback, and one can often spot people sporting such tallitot. There are many, however, who have cast doubts on the re-identification of the chilazon.

Rabbi Sholom DovBer, the fifth Rebbe of Lubavitch, maintained that according to the teachings of Kabbalah, the chilazon will not reemerge until the coming of the Messiah.

And from Chabad @ http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/529771/jewish/Why-do-some-have-a-blue-string-in-their-tzitzit.htm

Why do some people have a blue string among their tzitzit fringes?
By Menachem Posner

We read in the Torah:1 "Speak to the children of Israel and you shall say to them that they shall make for themselves fringes (tzitzit) on the corners of their garments, throughout their generations, and they shall affix a thread of techelet on the fringe of each corner."

The verse contains two commandments; one it to affix (white) fringes on the corners of a four-cornered garment, and the other is to add a thread of techelet to each corner. These two commandments are independent of each other. When techelet is available we are enjoined to add a techelet fringe to the tzitzit, and when unavailable we fulfill the mitzvah with plain white fringes.

Techelet is wool dyed with the blood extracted from a sea animal called the chilazon.

So why is it not so common today to have a techelet fringe on the tallit or tzitzit? At a certain point in history, approximately 1000 years ago, the chilazon, which was always hard to come by -- to the extent that the Talmud2 tells us that it only surfaced once every seventy years -- became unavailable altogether. After a while, its exact identity became unknown.

There have been many who have tried to rediscover the identity of the chilazon. Most notably among them were the Radziner Rebbe, Rabbi Gershon Henoch Leiner (1839-1891) and Israeli Chief Rabbi Y.I. Herzog (1889-1959).

Rabbi Leiner maintained that the cuttlefish was the lost chilazon and proceeded to produce and distribute dye produced from this fish.

Recently, the marine snail Murex Trunculus has been identified as possibly being the elusive chilazon, and many use its dye.

Most communities, however, view the findings of these groups as uncertain, and therefore continue to wear only white fringes, awaiting the coming of Moshiach when Elijah himself will guide us in uncovering the identity of the chilazon.

Yours truly,

Rabbi Menachem Posner
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Chai

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 03:35:34 PM »
they have found the likely suspect , and even if it is wrong , as long as you wear a half blue sting  it wont matter if it not the right animal and if it is u get the mitzva ...plus it looks nice.  this is one subject I'm well versed in feel free to ask anything

Offline judeanoncapta

• Master JTFer
  • Rebuild it now!!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 05:50:04 PM »
Does anyone here wear them , i have them for my talit and tzitit , (murex snail)  petil techeilet sells them ,however i wear a half a string because  the strictest authority , rambam says the minimum is a half a sting in case the color is not correct however if it is correct then you get the mitzvah it’s a win win situation.  :)

I wear tekheleth.

I know that the Rambam says you should only dye half a string.  But he doesn't says that it is in case the color is not correct, he says that it is so that when it goes through the hole and is tyed it emerges looking like one string of blue and seven of white.

And even if the color is not right, you still fulfill the mitzvah.

Because the only color that makes the tzitzit invalid is actual indigo plant, that is it.
Post questions here for the ASK JUDEA TORAH SHOW

my blog: Yehudi-Nation

Who is truly wise? He who can see the future. I see tommorow today and I want to end it - Rabbi Meir Daweedh Kahana

Offline Chai

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 12:08:39 AM »
no g-d forbid they hang it on the wall

Offline Raulmarrio2000

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 03:31:23 AM »
no g-d forbid they hang it on the wall

Karaites DO NOT hang their talitot on the wall. They wear talit with white and blue tzitzit, only that the blue dye is vegetable. Since they don't believe in the Oral Law, they reject the idea that Techeiles must come from the chilazon. Furthermore they claim that a shelfish is not Kosher and so cannot be used for a mitzvah. Their reasoning is based in the fact that, when the Temple stood, Jews should not only avoid eating non-kosher but also touching it.
Hanging them in the wall? It's either a myth, or perhaps some really did it in the past (Karaites were not a well defined group in the past, the word applied to anyone who accepted only the Tanach -Mikrah- and rejected Oral Law). No wonder some cult could have done it some time in history, but those we know as Karaites today, certainly do not

Offline Chai

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 06:39:26 PM »
Perhaps they don't ,but because the Torah states "ye shall put them were you can see them" and it is only the oral Torah that stipulates wearing them , some do put it on the wall from such reasoning.  the vegetable dye is interesting .

But the Talmud states chilazon , that means snail. the color argomon (purple also comes form the same animal) however for blue it is kept in the sun longer and the molecular bonds of color break making it blue the longer you leave it the lighter the blue. There is no other animal that has the color of the sea like the Talmud states that yields such color. I think it’s in interesting subject

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 07:21:01 PM »
I can imagine the crazy customs of those who don't accept the revelation at Sinai which is the Oral law. They probrobly don't undertand Mezuzah or Tefillin either. These mitzvahs are commanded in the Written Torah but are only explained by the Oral law. There is absolute proof of the divinity of the Oral law...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline Chai

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 09:36:24 PM »
I can imagine the crazy customs of those who don't accept the revelation at Sinai which is the Oral law. They probrobly don't undertand Mezuzah or Tefillin either. These mitzvahs are commanded in the Written Torah but are only explained by the Oral law. There is absolute proof of the divinity of the Oral law...

For sure, if anyone has any understanding of Hebrew knows that the Bible states in Exodus "these are the Torah(S)" plural. and in Hebrew ,  this does not mean plural as in pages or chapters but 2 separate things. oral Torah and the written Torah

Offline Raulmarrio2000

• Master JTFer
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009, 11:00:49 PM »

In fact, Karaites do not have Mezuzot or Tefilin. They interpret those mitzvot (writing the words on the doorposts, tying them to one's hand and placing them between one's eyes) as figurative idioms meaning that Jews must appreciate the Torah as a precious jewel and keep it.
On the other hand, Samaritans also interpret Tefilin as figurtive but, literarily place Mezuzot ( generally writing some verses of the Torah -Samaritan version- on a stone above the entrance of their homes). Samaritan Mezuzot generally have the Priestly blessing and some other verses from the Torah in Samaritan Hebrew script. They write the sentence: "Blessed is He who said" in Samaritan Aramaic before the actual Torah Hebrew words.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 01:29:42 AM »
Perhaps they don't ,but because the Torah states "ye shall put them were you can see them" and it is only the oral Torah that stipulates wearing them , some do put it on the wall from such reasoning.  the vegetable dye is interesting .

But the Talmud states chilazon , that means snail. the color argomon (purple also comes form the same animal) however for blue it is kept in the sun longer and the molecular bonds of color break making it blue the longer you leave it the lighter the blue. There is no other animal that has the color of the sea like the Talmud states that yields such color. I think it’s in interesting subject

Wait one second... The Torah explicitly says to tie Tzit-Tzits to the corners of a four corner garmet. Obviously, from written Torah, the command to wear the fringe of blue is only when wearing a four-cornered garment.

I will quote of the passage:

Bamidbar/Numbers 15:37-41

Hashem told Moses, Speak to the Children of Israel and tell them that they should make "tzitzis" on the corners of their clothing. This pertains to all generations of Jews.

You shall put on the tzitzis of each corner one thread of t'chailes.

You will have these tzitzis, and when you see them you will remember all the Commandments of Hashem and you will do them, and you will not pursue the desires of you hearts or eyes.

So that you remember and do all My Commandments, and you will be holy to your G-d. For I am Hashem your G-d Who has taken you out of Egypt so that I could be your G-d.

I am Hashem your G-d.

EMET

It seems plain as day to me that one must wear fringes on a four cornered garment and to attach one thread of blue on each corner.

You also should be aware that this passage is a part of our most holy prayer, the Shema in the third paragraph.

http://www.beingjewish.com/mitzvos/tzitzis.html
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 01:39:09 AM by muman613 »

Offline judeanoncapta

• Master JTFer
  • Rebuild it now!!!!
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 05:24:23 AM »
That is interesting.  I thought that only Karaites wore a blue string.  Is this a recent update?

Yes, the tekheleth has only become available in the 1990's.

Tekheleth is Murex Trunculus. This is scientific fact. The ancient source of tekheleth, the ancient dying works of Tyre has been excavated.

Murex shells has been found there in the millions.

Post questions here for the ASK JUDEA TORAH SHOW

my blog: Yehudi-Nation

Who is truly wise? He who can see the future. I see tommorow today and I want to end it - Rabbi Meir Daweedh Kahana