Author Topic: Amish tour Lubavitcher neighborhood  (Read 955 times)

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
Amish tour Lubavitcher neighborhood
« on: April 01, 2009, 06:00:44 AM »
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3695558,00.html   

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090331/ap_on_re_us/amish_in_brooklyn 

There, a cross-cultural misunderstanding caused one of the Jewish men to look at the Amish, and ask, repeatedly, "Are you from Usbekhistan?"

An Amish man, also confused, asked, "Afghanistan?"

Finally, as they were leaving, another Amish man announced to the matzo-makers: "We're from Lancaster County, Pennsylvania!"
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline takebackourtemple

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
  • May this be the year that the temple is liberated.
Re: Amish tour Lubavitcher neighborhood
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 07:09:40 AM »
   Both groups hold on to traditional values. The I can't speak for the Amish, but contrary to popular thought, the Lubavitcher do not discard modern the modern world. One of their fundamental values is to bring faith to the modern world instead of let the modern world take over it.
Does it bother you that you have to face the dome and the rock to say the sh'ma?

Offline Ultra Requete

• Master JTFer
  • United We Stand, Dived We'll Fall.
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 09:13:40 AM »
That's true multiculturalism when you respect you traditions as well as those of neighbours; miles a head of hardline secularists or muslims.
Jeremiah 8:11-17

11 They dress the wound of my people as though it were not serious. Peace, peace, they say, when there is no peace.

12 Are they ashamed of their loathsome conduct? No, they have no shame at all; they do not even know how to blush. So they will fall among the fallen; they will be brought down when they are punished, says the LORD.

13 'I will take away their harvest, declares the LORD. There will be no grapes on the vine. There will be no figs on the tree, and their leaves will wither. What I have given them will be taken from them.'

14 Why are we sitting here? Gather together! Let us flee to the fortified cities and perish there! For the LORD our God has doomed us to perish and given us poisoned water to drink, because we have sinned against him.

15 We hoped for peace but no good has come, for a time of healing but there was only terror.

16 The snorting of the enemy's horses is heard from Dan; at the neighing of their stallions the whole land trembles. They have come to devour the land and everything in it, the city and all who live there.

17 See, I will send venomous snakes among you, vipers that cannot be charmed, and they will bite you, declares the LORD.

Love your Enemy
And Heap Burning Coals on his Head!!!
http://net-burst.net/revenge/love_and_wrath_of_God.htm

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 11:47:10 AM »
I hate it when Muslims try to compare themselves to the Amish/Hasidics/Sikhs, etc..... saying that they hold on to their traditional values/attire/ideology just like the Amish/Hasidics do.

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 12:11:04 PM »
I hate it when Muslims try to compare themselves to the Amish/Hasidics/Sikhs, etc..... saying that they hold on to their traditional values/attire/ideology just like the Amish/Hasidics do.

Me too.
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 12:37:34 PM »

Yes it is sickening... Both Chassidis and Amish are mostly peaceful and loving people while most who embrace islam with ferver become violent and hateful people.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 01:31:20 PM »
nice find.  Very interesting to see two very different groups respecting and learning from each other without feeling threatened by the other.  Isn't that what it is really about?
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline DownwithIslam

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 03:09:27 PM »
This is interesting to say the least. I don't see anything wrong with the amish coming, that is for sure. They do indeed seem like very peaceful people.
I am urinating on a Koran.

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 03:15:27 PM »
The mother-church of the Mennonites and the Amish is near my home-town. 

It is Emden. :)

http://www.mennoniten.de/emden.html
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 03:18:26 PM »
An interesting side note.

The Amish are actually not that small of a group.   They are about 230,000 people, and they double in numbers every decade.  Apparently they have a pretty high birth rate, and they also have lots of voluntary converts.

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 03:20:01 PM »
An interesting side note.

The Amish are actually not that small of a group.   They are about 230,000 people, and they double in numbers every decade.  Apparently they have a pretty high birth rate, and they also have lots of voluntary converts.

Thank you for telling. I am surprised - positively.

The Hutterites have nearly no converts.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2009, 03:48:32 PM »
I remember a funny scene in the Frisco Kid when the main character gets rescued by these Amish people and assumes they are Hassids...and then when he sees their cross, faints... :::D
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline takebackourtemple

• Master JTFer
  • May this be the year that the temple is liberated.
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2009, 09:40:30 PM »

Yes it is sickening... Both Chassidis and Amish are mostly peaceful and loving people while most who embrace islam with ferver become violent and hateful people.

Actually many years ago when I wanted to find out what the conservative movement was about I went to one. I don't remember if it was Rosh Hashana or Yom Kippur. The false Rabbi would talk about stories in Genesis and keep inserting commentary for Mohammad YS"Z. Hmmm. Who should we look to for commentary. Rashi, the Rambam, the Baal Shem Tov and the Rebbes, Rav Kahane ZT"L. I can't even write the piece of trashes name in the same sentence as such scholars. There is no comparison when evil Muslims twist the accounts of the torah.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 06:43:46 AM by takebackourtemple »
Does it bother you that you have to face the dome and the rock to say the sh'ma?

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2009, 09:57:45 PM »

I'm not surprised really, righteous people are naturally drawn to each other. Just like us JTFer's.
Nuke the arabs till they glow, then shoot them in the dark.