Author Topic: NY governor, lawmakers agree to ease drug laws  (Read 661 times)

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
NY governor, lawmakers agree to ease drug laws
« on: March 27, 2009, 11:33:04 AM »
ALBANY, N.Y. – New York Gov. David Paterson and legislative leaders have agreed to ease drug laws that were once among the harshest in the nation and led a movement more than 30 years ago toward mandatory prison terms.

The agreement rolls back some of the tougher sentencing provisions pushed through the Legislature in 1973 by then-Gov. Nelson Rockefeller, a Republican who said they were needed to fight a drug-related "reign of terror."

Critics have long claimed the laws were draconian and crowded prisons with people who would be better served with treatment.

Paterson says Friday that judges will now be able to use techniques like treatment and counseling that have proven more effective than prison for low-level offenders. At the same time, penalties will be toughened for drug kingpins.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090327/ap_on_re_us/new_york_drug_laws

Offline SavetheWest

• Master JTFer
Re: NY governor, lawmakers agree to ease drug laws
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 01:08:26 PM »
Well, I guess the days of NYC being a safe city are over. It's back to the Ed Koch and Dinkins days.

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 01:17:36 PM »
Drug laws should be repealed, we wouldn't have this stupid war on drugs if it was legalized, then the government could tax it and it would cut down on who's obtaining the money. Besides, drug laws don't stop people from taking drugs, it's just like abolition, it doesn't work.

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 01:17:46 PM »
Hooray, all the druggies get to stay out of jail and stay on the streets, to break into our cars and homes, I'm so happy, thank you Governor F**king Retard!
Nuke the arabs till they glow, then shoot them in the dark.

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 01:18:54 PM »
Drug laws should be repealed, we wouldn't have this stupid war on drugs if it was legalized, then the government could tax it and it would cut down on who's obtaining the money. Besides, drug laws don't stop people from taking drugs, it's just like abolition, it doesn't work.

Yeah, but the drugs are still illegal and still expensive, so the druggies that are not going to be going to prison will now be robbing us for drug money!

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 01:19:37 PM »
Hooray, all the druggies get to stay out of jail and stay on the streets, to break into our cars and homes, I'm so happy, thank you Governor F**king Retard!

Most of them are doing so because it's illegal hence there is a large black market/underground to make money. We don't see the cartels anymore that smuggled alcohol into the country. Government can't prevent criminals from breaking into your home, they've already prevented that by removing your right to have a gun in New York.

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 01:31:58 PM »

Most of them are doing so because it's illegal hence there is a large black market/underground to make money. We don't see the cartels anymore that smuggled alcohol into the country. Government can't prevent criminals from breaking into your home, they've already prevented that by removing your right to have a gun in New York.

They can remove the crimminal druggies from the streets, like Guliani did, now I see, this is going to be undone, and we're going back to the days of Jimmy Carter, when the city was a cesspool. History does repeat itself.

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 01:39:32 PM »

They can remove the crimminal druggies from the streets, like Guliani did, now I see, this is going to be undone, and we're going back to the days of Jimmy Carter, when the city was a cesspool. History does repeat itself.

This would be fixed if people were allowed to have guns in New York to protect themselves. Drug usage is high where I live but crime is very low because people won't dare break into someones house in fear of being shot.

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 01:54:09 PM »

This would be fixed if people were allowed to have guns in New York to protect themselves. Drug usage is high where I live but crime is very low because people won't dare break into someones house in fear of being shot.

Love the idea, this city is ridiculous, how they can defy the Constitution and the 2nd Amendment and get away with it is beyond me.

Offline SavetheWest

• Master JTFer
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 07:21:09 AM »

I couldn't disagree more.  I could see some decriminilzation of recreational drugs but drugs like meth, coke and heroin should give the sellers the death penalty.  Meth is an absolute evil drug and legalizing it would make any place a hell hole.  I suggest travelling to Vancouver, British Columbia's downtown eastside and seeing how setting up state run shooting galleries and crack smoking rooms has worked out.  Prostitution is through the roof and people smoke crack right in front of kids.  Liberals don't have to see this because they live in nice neighborhoods but the working people there have to deal with people still getting robbed and raped because of these drugs. People on meth actually commit crimes way more often against children because they are out of their mids.  They can't even sit still for one second and are endless criminals.  Also, auto theft in Canadian border towns was the highest in North America and break ins also were higher than in any other city in America or Canada. This city was not like this when drugs were restricted more.  Also, as taxes on cigarettes have gone up, the smuggling has gone up too.  Wouldn't high taxes on drugs do the same?  Guns should not be restricted at all but turning any place into the wild west won't work either.  We need to country to be like Wyoming or South Dakota.  Very few gun restrictions but also a moral, Christian society that does not tolerate lawlessness and degenerecy.  Drug dealers should be executed and users should be giveen very strict sentences if they don't seek help.