Author Topic: Question for the gentiles about 'the last supper'  (Read 3793 times)

Offline Trumpeldor

• Master JTFer
Question for the gentiles about 'the last supper'
« on: March 27, 2007, 09:31:00 PM »
I had a non-Jewish neighbor who celebrated this. He ate matzo (unleavened bread) at the meal, presumably because Jesus' last meal was a Passover seder. Yet there was also bread at the meal. Can someone explain to me more about this holiday? Do you tell the passover story?

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
Re: Question for the gentiles about 'the last supper'
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 09:35:07 PM »
I had a non-Jewish neighbor who celebrated this. He ate matzo (unleavened bread) at the meal, presumably because Jesus' last meal was a Passover seder. Yet there was also bread at the meal. Can someone explain to me more about this holiday? Do you tell the passover story?
I'M not a Christian but many Evangelicals have incoparated parts of the seder
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline dawntreader

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 09:42:45 PM »
I'm Jewish but I do know that Evangelical Christians have been trying to dig into the Jewish roots of their faith. Some get it far better than others do.

But yeah, the Last Supper was supposed to have been a Seder. (The Christian family you are talking about probably doesn't know that you aren't supposed to have regular bread during Pesach.)

Victory is a thing of the will. -General Ferdinand Foch

Our peace must be a peace of victors, not of the vanquished.
- General Ferdinand Foch

We have met the enemy and they are ours.
- Oliver Hazard Perry

Offline dawntreader

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 09:58:08 PM »
Jesus had his seder according to the Essene calendar, which was solar. The Essenes were heritcal Jews. The solar date came a few days before the real Passover. So his "Last Supper" was I think a Wednesday but he was executed on the real Passover which started Friday Night (Maybe Thursday Night. It could be because we didn't have a fixed calendar then.).

How do you know this? I'm not arguing the point...just curious.

- General Ferdinand Foch

- Oliver Hazard Perry

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 10:00:24 PM »
Essenes were'nt heretic they were mainly Cohanim who fleed the maccabian kings who were not at that time halachicly Jewish i.e. Herod
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 10:10:01 PM by mord »
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Trumpeldor

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 10:08:48 PM »
How much of passover do they incorporate? Do they pervert any of it?

Offline dawntreader

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 10:13:26 PM »
How much of passover do they incorporate? Do they pervert any of it?

It depends from church to church and from family to family. As I said, I've known some that do things pretty much right on, while others leave a great deal out. And some get things wrong...like the family that you talked about that had Matzah AND regular bread.

- General Ferdinand Foch

- Oliver Hazard Perry

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007, 10:18:18 PM »
Essenes were'nt heretic they were mainly Cohanim who fleed the maccabian kings who were not at that time halachicly Jewish i.e. Herod

Not according to Our Sages.

Ask Chaim

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007, 10:22:20 PM »
All you want to know about the Essenes and more   http://jewishencyclopedia.com/view.jsp?artid=478&letter=E&search=Essenes

A branch of the Pharisees who conformed to the most rigid rules of Levitical purity while aspiring to the highest degree of holiness. They lived solely by the work of their hands and in a state of communism, devoted their time to study and devotion and to the practise of benevolence, and refrained as far as feasible from conjugal intercourse and sensual pleasures, in order to be initiated into the highest mysteries of heaven and cause the expected Messianic time to come ('Ab. Zarah ix. 15; Luke ii. 25, 38; xxiii. 51). The strangest reports were spread about this mysterious class of Jews. Pliny (l.c.), speaking of the Essene community in the neighborhood of the Dead Sea, calls it the marvel of the world, and characterizes it as a race continuing its existence for thousands of centuries without either wives and children, or money for support, and with only the palm-trees for companions in its retreat from the storms of the world. Philo, who calls the Essenes "the holy ones," after the Greek ὅσιοι, says in one place (as quoted by Eusebius, "Præparatio Evangelica," viii. 11) that ten thousand of them had been initiated by Moses into the mysteries of the sect, which, consisting of men of advanced years having neither wives nor children, practised the virtues of love and holiness and inhabited many cities and villages of Judea, living in communism as tillers of the soil or as mechanics according to common rules of simplicity and abstinence. In another passage ("Quod Omnis Probus Liber," 12 et seq.) he speaks of only four thousand Essenes, who lived as farmers and artisans apart from the cities and in a perfect state of communism, and who condemned slavery, avoided sacrifice, abstained from swearing, strove for holiness, and were particularly scrupulous regarding the Sabbath, which day was devoted to the reading and allegorical interpretation of the Law. Josephus ("Ant." xv. 10, § 4; xviii. 1, § 5; "B. J." ii. 8, §§ 2-13) describes them partly as a philosophical school like the Pythagoreans, and mystifies the reader by representing them as a kind of monastic order with semi-pagan rites. Accordingly, the strangest theories have been advanced by non-Jewish writers, men like Zeller, Hilgenfeld, and Schürer, who found in Essenism a mixture of Jewish and pagan ideas and customs, taking it for granted that a class of Jews of this kind could have existed for centuries without leaving a trace in rabbinical literature, and, besides, ignoring the fact that Josephus describes the Pharisees and Sadducees also as philosophical schools after Greek models.
So much more in link
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 10:24:03 PM by mord »

Shot at 2010-01-03

Allen-T

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 06:57:59 AM »
My church has a Passover celebration every year, but I have never attended. My Pastor's father was Jewish.