Author Topic: Workmen in Poland find hidden Auschwitz letter  (Read 714 times)

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
Workmen in Poland find hidden Auschwitz letter
« on: April 27, 2009, 12:41:22 PM »
WARSAW, Poland – The note, written in pencil then rolled up and inserted in a bottle, contains the names of seven young people who probably thought they were doomed to die in the notorious Auschwitz death camp.

A construction crew renovating a cellar near the Auschwitz site discovered the bottle hidden in a concrete wall, officials said Monday.

Dated Sept. 9, 1944, the note bears the names, camp numbers and hometowns of the seven prisoners — six from Poland and one from France.

"All of them are between the ages of 18 and 20," the final sentence reads.

"They were young people who were trying to leave some trace of their existence behind them," said Auschwitz museum spokesman Jaroslaw Mensfelt. He said two of the prisoners survived the camp but he did not have further details.

Workmen were tearing out a wall in the basement of a college building in the town of Oswiecim — which was called Auschwitz by the Nazis during World War II — on April 20 when they discovered the bottle, college spokeswoman Monika Bartosz said.

She said the note appeared to have been written on a scrap from a cement bag.

The school's three buildings, which are a few hundred meters (yards) from the camp, were used as warehouses during the war by Hitler's SS troops. The prisoners were compelled to reinforce the cellar with concrete so it could serve as an air-raid shelter.

Museum experts have verified the authenticity of the note, which will be handed over to the museum in early May.

The Nazis set up the Auschwitz camp in 1940 in occupied Poland. At least 1.1 million people, mostly Jews — but also non-Jewish Poles, Gypsies and others — died in Auschwitz-Birkenau's gas chambers, or from starvation, disease and forced labor, before Soviet troops liberated the camp on Jan. 27, 1945.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090427/ap_on_re_eu/eu_poland_auschwitz_hidden_message

Offline ag337

• Master JTFer
Re: Workmen in Poland find hidden Auschwitz letter
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 12:51:25 PM »
Wow, what an amazing find.

It amazes me that after so much time has passed since the Holocaust, that discoveries are still being made.

What kills me is Ahmedinajad denies the Holocaust, when there is overwhelming evidence due to the Nazi's own meticulous record keeping, as well as there being survivors to recount the horror of what was.

Now add to it all the additional finds, such as this hidden letter; I find it nearly impossible for any sane person to deny the history of the Holocaust.

Offline drlmg

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 01:32:33 PM »
It was planted by George Bush!!

Seriously though, that is incredible. It would really be an emotional experience for me. That letter was written in desperation and in the face of seemingly certain death. It's as if it is a photograph of the souls of the four, imagine the anguish they were experiencing. I wish I knew what it said. If the two that survived are still living, I hope they will give them a chance to privately look at and hold the letter. For the ones who have already passed on I think their family should be given the opportunity.

Offline ag337

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 01:45:00 PM »
It was planted by George Bush!!

Seriously though, that is incredible. It would really be an emotional experience for me. That letter was written in desperation and in the face of seemingly certain death. It's as if it is a photograph of the souls of the four, imagine the anguish they were experiencing. I wish I knew what it said. If the two that survived are still living, I hope they will give them a chance to privately look at and hold the letter. For the ones who have already passed on I think their family should be given the opportunity.

drlmg,

I feel very much like you do.
It would be a very emotional experience for me as well.
I understand your thoughts about this.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 01:54:16 PM »
I'm glad for every shred of evidence that makes the Holocaust deniers look even more stupid, even if these evidences make me feel sad too because of what they represent.