Author Topic: Poland Gets 1st Openly Homosexual Rabbi  (Read 2341 times)

Offline eb22

• Ultimate JTFer
  • No Appeasement.or Concessions.Fakestine is a Hoax.
Poland Gets 1st Openly Homosexual Rabbi
« on: June 23, 2009, 10:20:04 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,528480,00.html

Poland Gets 1st Openly Gay Rabbi
Tuesday, June 23, 2009 

WARSAW, Poland —  When Rabbi Aaron Katz walks the streets of Warsaw's former Jewish quarter, scenes of that lost world fill his imagination: Families headed to synagogue, women in their kitchens cooking Sabbath meals, his father as a boy with the sidecurls of an Orthodox Jew.

But Katz's life could hardly be more different from that prewar eastern European culture, at least in one key respect: He is Poland's first openly gay rabbi.

Born in Argentina 53 years ago to parents who fled Poland before the Holocaust, Katz is the latest rabbi to play his part in reviving a once vibrant Jewish community that was all but wiped out by Hitler.

He settled into Warsaw's historic Jewish district in March with Kevin Gleason, a former Hollywood producer on such reality TV shows as "The Bachelor" and "Nanny 911," with whom he entered into a registered domestic partnership in Los Angeles two years ago.

They live only three streets from the birth home of Katz's father in a modern and spacious apartment with their dogs, two gentle brown boxers. Katz says he is moved by the links to his past, but keeps his focus on the future.

"I don't think we will come back to this great Jewish life," he said, referring to prewar Poland, a country where one person in 10 was Jewish and where synagogues, yeshivas and shtetls defined the landscape. "But I hope we will have a normal Jewish life in Poland."

Katz is certainly an anomaly in conservative Poland, where to be either Jewish or gay is challenge enough — at least outside the cities. Of a population of 38 million, about 5,000 are registered as Jews, while thousands more have part-Jewish ancestry, and some have returned to their roots since Poland shed its communist dictatorship.

Katz is the second rabbi to serve Beit Warszawa, a Reform community with 250 members that was founded in the capital 10 years ago by Polish and American Jews who felt little affinity with some Orthodox practices, such as separating men and women during Sabbath services. The Reform movement ordains gay rabbis.

Homosexuals have won acceptance at differing levels throughout post-communist Eastern Europe. The Czech Republic and Slovenia recognize same-sex partnerships, as will Hungary from July 1. Poland hasn't gone that far. It has an active gay rights movement and gay nightclubs in the cities, but the Catholic church and some conservative politicians still publicly describe homosexuality as abnormal and immoral.

Katz, a citizen of Argentina, Israel and Sweden, says so far he has not faced anti-Semitism or homophobia in Poland. But some community members, speaking in private, reveal a degree of discomfort.

One woman at a Sabbath service whispered that she found Katz's open sexuality too "aggressive." A longtime male member counseled against writing about the rabbi, lest anti-Semites use it against the community.

A third member, Piotr Lukasz, said he himself supports gay rights, and marched with an Israeli flag during a recent gay rights parade in Warsaw. But he said he had heard others complain that it would weaken an already small and fragile community.

"They say that Poland is not a ready for a gay rabbi because the outside society is very conservative," said Lukasz, a 23-year-old student of cultural anthropology. "An openly gay rabbi is something very controversial."

Others, though, seem comfortable, as evidenced by a recent string of dinners where Jews and non-Jews joined Katz and his partner at their home, digging into goulash or chicken-and-potato meals around the dining room table and socializing through the evening.

Katz is the chief cook — it's because he likes to be in charge, says Gleason, who instead welcomes guests warmly at the door and keeps their wine glasses filled through the evenings.

"I think the rabbi's home should be open," Katz said. "The moment that you take a position, your family takes the position too. It's a role."

Katz's life as a rabbi has been an evolution from one world to another. In the 1980s and early 1990s he was Sweden's chief Orthodox rabbi, married to a woman with whom he had five children now aged 16 to 31. Later he lived and worked in Berlin and Los Angeles. He had a dark beard, but today is clean-shaven.

The only photograph in their living room shows Katz and Gleason on the day they sealed their partnership — which they refer to as a marriage — surrounded by both their families, including Katz's sons and daughters, who are close to the couple and who showed their acceptance of the union with a gift of a ketubah, a traditional Jewish wedding certificate.

Katz's journey away from Orthodox Judaism was part of his "coming out process," he explains, but also was influenced by the realization that some of his children were not attracted to Orthodox worship. He concluded that Reform Judaism was more attractive to the young.

Still, he insists that as modern as he is, he loves tradition.

He keeps a kosher home and has enthusiastically embraced the Jewish tradition of matchmaker, using his dinners to introduce singles — usually heterosexuals but not exclusively.

Asked how many marriages have resulted, he said "a couple," but Gleason jumped in to correct him: "You're being modest," he said.

Gleason, 50, was born into a Catholic family but converted to Judaism for Katz. He left Hollywood and now does administrative and fundraising work for the synagogue. He attends services, sitting in the back and tapping on his watch when he feels the rabbi's lively sermons are getting to long.

Still, the openness of their relationship can catch people in Warsaw off guard.

"I introduce him as my partner they say, 'Oh he's also a rabbi?"' Katz said. "When I say 'my partner' they think I mean like in business. So I say 'no, no, no, we are living together."'

The rhetorical question that I have is what would the so called Rabbi's answer be if someone questioned him for directly violating Leviticus 18:22 ?

eb22
"Israel's leaders seem to be more afraid of Obama than they are of G-d. Now we're getting to the real root of the problem. Secular politics won't save Israel. Denying the divine nature of the Jewish State has brought Israel neither stability nor peace. When that changes Israel will finally be blessed with both in abundance"-----------NormanF   ( Posted on Israel Matzav's Blog )

http://jtf.org/

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Poland Gets 1st Openly Homosexual Rabbi
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 11:25:55 PM »
Absolutely sick that deformed jews think that they are practicing Judaism while in reality they are worshipping their own egos and imaginations.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 06:37:03 AM »
HE'S NOT A RABBI HE'S A MENTAL CASE
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline IsraeliGovtAreKapos

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 07:12:59 AM »
בס"ד
That fellow ain't no Rabbi just a sick case

Offline arksis

• Master JTFer
  • Dawn
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 09:20:28 AM »
How can he even be ALLOWED to be a rabbi? Eb22 you raise a great question!
---Never, ever deal with terrorists. Hunt them down and, more important, mercilessly punish those states and groups that fund, arm, support, or simply allow their territories to be used by the terrorists with impunity.
Meir Kahane

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 12:12:29 PM »
I find it aggravating that that Katz used to be Sweden's chief orthodox rabbi.

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 01:22:49 PM »

This is such a load of nonsense, Deformed "Jews" aren't practicing Judaism no matter how much they delude themselves, women and gay "rabbis", not a word of Hebrew in the service, fast and loose with the laws, if practicing the religion properly is to hard for them they should just become secular, which would be far better and far less of a sin than committing this mockery of the religion.

And this is coming from a secular Jew, I'm taking my own advice, I wouldn't be caught dead in a Deformed "synagogue", if I were to practice I would do right, what's the next step for those idiots, Ultra-Deformed!?  :laugh:
Nuke the arabs till they glow, then shoot them in the dark.

Offline Masha

• Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 01:47:52 PM »

This is such a load of nonsense, Deformed "Jews" aren't practicing Judaism no matter how much they delude themselves, women and gay "rabbis", not a word of Hebrew in the service, fast and loose with the laws, if practicing the religion properly is to hard for them they should just become secular, which would be far better and far less of a sin than committing this mockery of the religion.

And this is coming from a secular Jew, I'm taking my own advice, I wouldn't be caught dead in a Deformed "synagogue", if I were to practice I would do right, what's the next step for those idiots, Ultra-Deformed!?  :laugh:

New Yorker, he is not a Reformed Rabbi. He is an Orthodox one. Gay Rabbi Katz is an Orthodox Rabbi. Now, how this is possible, I have no idea. Who accredits Orthodox credentials?

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 01:49:51 PM »
I may be wrong but I get the impression that Reform Judaism worships diversity and inclusion.

Offline Masha

• Master JTFer
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 01:51:28 PM »
I may be wrong but I get the impression that Reform Judaism worships diversity and inclusion.

Rubystars, he was Sweden's Chief Orthodox Rabbi. He is not a Reform Rabbi- You can google him.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2009, 01:52:31 PM »

Rubystars, he was Sweden's Chief Orthodox Rabbi. He is not a Reform Rabbi- You can google him.

If he's Orthodox then hasn't he forfeited the title of Rabbi by engaging in homosexual acts?

Offline Masha

• Master JTFer
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2009, 01:56:47 PM »

If he's Orthodox then hasn't he forfeited the title of Rabbi by engaging in homosexual acts?

That's what I don't understand.  :o I am asking the same thing.

By the way, Sweden doesn't have a Reform congregation. There are some Conservative (more conservative than in teh US) and Orthodox ones.

Offline Masha

• Master JTFer
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2009, 02:01:06 PM »
Here is his picture. He does look gay.
http://bernthermele.wordpress.com/2009/06/17/aaron-katz-gor-comeback/

It says that he used to be in Stockholm. Now I know the Conservative congregation in Stockholm, and I haven't heard of Rabbi Katz. And there is no Reform one. So it's true what they say - he is Orthodox. A mystery...  :o

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2009, 03:13:55 PM »
He definitely has that faggy look to him.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2009, 03:26:21 PM »
Then this is no Rabbi... He is a flagrant transgressor and anyone who goes to his services will be cursed...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2009, 03:31:53 PM »
Masha, he had been ordained as an orthodox rabbi, but as he turned his back to Judaism and declared himself a reform his ordained, I am pretty sure that his rabbinical ordination was null and void.

Offline Ben Yehuda

• Director Of Marketing
  • Master JTFer
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2009, 03:54:27 PM »
What you expect from a bunch of Pollacks. :::D

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2009, 04:01:20 PM »
"I introduce him as my partner they say, 'Oh he's also a rabbi?"' Katz said. "When I say 'my partner' they think I mean like in business. So I say 'no, no, no, we are living together."'

Watch at 4:05

:::D
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 04:22:54 PM by Pheasant »
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline Ithaca-37

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2009, 04:21:33 PM »
It goes without saying that many if not most once-stellar Christian denominations have this same public farce ongoing, to some degree or another.  There are 'ministers' in position of authority who will openly and unapologetically deny basic tenants of Christianity, including the resurrection of Jesus and His divinity, and far more.  I once pressed one of these freaks why they bother to wear a cross if they think that the whole business is a fraud.  Frankly, I was unable to follow his double-talk answer.  Obviously, the clerical collar is a soft cover to mask a pervert.

We can take some solace, as Jesus Himself warned us like this (Matthew 7:15, I think):  "Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2009, 04:55:28 PM »
It goes without saying that many if not most once-stellar Christian denominations have this same public farce ongoing, to some degree or another.  There are 'ministers' in position of authority who will openly and unapologetically deny basic tenants of Christianity, including the resurrection of Jesus and His divinity, and far more.  I once pressed one of these freaks why they bother to wear a cross if they think that the whole business is a fraud.  Frankly, I was unable to follow his double-talk answer.  Obviously, the clerical collar is a soft cover to mask a pervert.

We can take some solace, as Jesus Himself warned us like this (Matthew 7:15, I think):  "Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves.

That man said a lot of stuff but it doesn't always make sense. Hashem himself warns us to never listen to false prophets.

http://www.askmoses.com/en/article/248,2196257/What-is-a-false-prophet.html
http://www.simpletoremember.com/articles/a/jewsandjesus/
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 05:04:24 PM by muman613 »

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2009, 05:27:35 PM »
I just found this video on Youtube:

(not suitable for kids)

"Now when you catch a fairy, the first thing you wanna do, is pull their wings off!"

:laugh:

Offline ag337

• Master JTFer
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2009, 09:57:55 PM »
How can he even be ALLOWED to be a rabbi? Eb22 you raise a great question!

arksis,
What is the deal with this garbage???
People have really lost their minds...........

Offline Masha

• Master JTFer
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2009, 06:41:40 AM »
I feel sorry for his ex-wife. It must be so sad to look back and realize that your marriage has been a sham and your whole life has been a waste. She could have married a normal man, and now she would have had an intact family and a life partner and companion for her golden years. What a sin it is to ruin a life of a totally innocent human being. This man should not have married! 

On another note, how come there is a Jewish community in Poland to begin with? I thought they disposed of their last Jews in 1968 during Homulka. I was told by various people that Poland was completely Juden-rein. And now there is a Jewish community with a rabbi? Where did these Jews come from? Did they immigrate recently?

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2009, 08:15:44 PM »

New Yorker, he is not a Reformed Rabbi. He is an Orthodox one. Gay Rabbi Katz is an Orthodox Rabbi. Now, how this is possible, I have no idea. Who accredits Orthodox credentials?

Not true.

"Katz's journey away from Orthodox Judaism was part of his "coming out process," he explains, but also was influenced by the realization that some of his children were not attracted to Orthodox worship. He concluded that Reform Judaism was more attractive to the young. "

part of his 'coming out process' was to become a reformist.   And he chose Reformism because it's "more attractive to the young"  Yeah, RIGHT.  I'm sure it had nothing at all to do with the fact that he's flaming and Reformism allows that while Judaism does not.  Couldn't have had anything to do with it.

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2009, 06:32:12 AM »
I think that this rabbi is knowingly mocking Judaism and he repels people away from Judaism. Especially in Poland where most Jews there have very little knowledge regarding the Jewish faith. If this "rabbi" is the person who introduces Judaism to normative, curious people, I think they might think why bother with this insanity and abandon Judaism altogether.