Torah and Jewish Idea > Torah and Jewish Idea

Who is a Jew? - Some insight from Rebbetzen Chana Bracha Siegelbaum

<< < (9/11) > >>

EagleEye:
Wikipedia links to its sources.  Follow their links.  Each statement is backed with a source.

EagleEye:
No.  I'm not Jewish.  Do have some Jewish ancestry (on father's side).  I'm atheist.  And I'd be atheist if my mother was Jewish.  It's an ideological thing.

But you're still my political allies.

EagleEye:
I understand your concern and if I find the source I saw originally, I'll post it to make things interesting.

It really doesn't matter, because everyone knows that today, Orthodox and Conservative Judaism clearly go by the Mother.

If your father is Jewish and you feel left out, you always can convert if you want to.  And if your mother is Jewish and you aren't spiritual, certainly Jews aren't like Muslims.  They aren't going to kill you for not believing.

http://www.mfa.gov.il/MFA/MFAArchive/1950_1959/Law+of+Return+5710-1950.htm
Here is info about the law of return.  It agrees with me.  If I'm wrong, then the source is also wrong:

--- Quote ---4B. For the purposes of this Law, "Jew" means a person who was born of a Jewish mother or has become converted to Judaism and who is not a member of another religion."
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---4A. (a) The rights of a Jew under this Law and the rights of an oleh under the Nationality Law, 5712-1952***, as well as the rights of an oleh under any other enactment, are also vested in a child and a grandchild of a Jew, the spouse of a Jew, the spouse of a child of a Jew and the spouse of a grandchild of a Jew, except for a person who has been a Jew and has voluntarily changed his religion.
--- End quote ---

It lets people with Jewish dad's in, but still considers them Gentiles if they don't convert.

IsraeliGovtAreKapos:
                                                       בס"ד

--- Quote from: EagleEye on December 16, 2009, 01:44:55 AM ---Wikipedia links to its sources.  Follow their links.  Each statement is backed with a source.

--- End quote ---

You know, it'd be better and more polite if you give them to me, these are you statements you are trying to defend.

IsraeliGovtAreKapos:
                                                                                בס"ד

--- Quote from: EagleEye on December 16, 2009, 02:01:22 AM ---I understand your concern and if I find the source I saw originally, I'll post it to make things interesting.

It really doesn't matter, because everyone knows that today, Orthodox and Conservative Judaism clearly go by the Mother.

If your father is Jewish and you feel left out, you always can convert if you want to.  And if your mother is Jewish and you aren't spiritual, certainly Jews aren't like Muslims.  They aren't going to kill you for not believing.

http://www.mfa.gov.il/MFA/MFAArchive/1950_1959/Law+of+Return+5710-1950.htm
Here is info about the law of return.  It agrees with me.  If I'm wrong, then the source is also wrong:

--- Quote ---4B. For the purposes of this Law, "Jew" means a person who was born of a Jewish mother or has become converted to Judaism and who is not a member of another religion."
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---4A. (a) The rights of a Jew under this Law and the rights of an oleh under the Nationality Law, 5712-1952***, as well as the rights of an oleh under any other enactment, are also vested in a child and a grandchild of a Jew, the spouse of a Jew, the spouse of a child of a Jew and the spouse of a grandchild of a Jew, except for a person who has been a Jew and has voluntarily changed his religion.
--- End quote ---

It lets people with Jewish dad's in, but still considers them Gentiles if they don't convert.

--- End quote ---

Too bad the Law was changed. If this really was like this, the "Reformic" and "Conservative" so-called conversion weren't recognized by the State.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version