Torah and Jewish Idea > Torah and Jewish Idea

Who is a Jew? - Some insight from Rebbetzen Chana Bracha Siegelbaum

<< < (2/11) > >>

Moshe92:

--- Quote from: Dúnadan on August 11, 2009, 05:08:05 PM ---Ok, that's true and I understand.
But still: what would you say if you start researching ancestry and you find out that your great great grandmother bu your mkother side was not Jewish? Would you be Jewish then? What if a Rabbi discovers that?
It's not that I want to burst your bubble or be considered a Jew, but I know about Jewish ethnic makeup, and especially about Ashkenazis, and most of the Yiddish Jews are descended from Slavic tribes (actually some Ashkenazis consider themselves Slavs) as well as Khazars and Germanic tribed. Russian Jews are totally Russian. And I bet that at least some Jews can find a non-Jewish ancestor by their maternal side (I mean the mother of the mother, etc).
And all of this is if you consider only the Hebrews to be Jews (which is a fair point, of course)

And as for Jews living in Israel, a good deal of Jews, especially Americans, say that real Jews are only the diasporic ones (which is nonsense in my opinion, but maybe it actually has a religious source, I don't know).

By the way, do you then believe that Israel's policy (only one Jewish grandparent to enter Israel) is wrong and that it should be replaces by having a Jewish mother?

--- End quote ---

I do believe that Israel's policy is wrong regarding who is a Jew. A Jew is someone who has a Jewish mother or has undergone an Orthodox conversion. Ashkenazi Jews and all other Jews are descended from the ancient Israelites, not Slavic tribes or Khazars or any other groups.

Dúnadan:

--- Quote from: Moshe92 on August 11, 2009, 05:12:59 PM ---I do believe that Israel's policy is wrong regarding who is a Jew. A Jew is someone who has a Jewish mother or has undergone an Orthodox conversion. Ashkenazi Jews and all other Jews are descended from the ancient Israelites, not Slavic tribes or Khazars or any other groups.

--- End quote ---

Here I disagree with you, the first time maybe. As Arthur Koestler, Paul Kriwakzek and Paul Wexler proved, Ashkenazi Jews are mostly, if not solely descended from tribes in Eastern Europe. It's not a matter of admixture, it's a matter of conversion.

Moshe92:

--- Quote from: Dúnadan on August 11, 2009, 05:22:12 PM ---
--- Quote from: Moshe92 on August 11, 2009, 05:12:59 PM ---I do believe that Israel's policy is wrong regarding who is a Jew. A Jew is someone who has a Jewish mother or has undergone an Orthodox conversion. Ashkenazi Jews and all other Jews are descended from the ancient Israelites, not Slavic tribes or Khazars or any other groups.

--- End quote ---

Here I disagree with you, the first time maybe. As Arthur Koestler, Paul Kriwakzek and Paul Wexler proved, Ashkenazi Jews are mostly, if not solely descended from tribes in Eastern Europe. It's not a matter of admixture, it's a matter of conversion.

--- End quote ---

That's anti-semitic propaganda. How did they "prove" that Ashkenazim are descended mostly from converts?

muman613:
DunDan doesn't know what he is talking about here... There has been a lot of genetic proof that Ashkenazic Jews have genetic traces of the Kohen gene which is present in all descendents of the original Israelites.

What this fool is saying is pure antisemitic propaganda along the lines of the "Jews are Khazars" myth...

Dúnadan:

--- Quote from: muman613 on August 11, 2009, 05:33:39 PM ---DunDan doesn't know what he is talking about here... There has been a lot of genetic proof that Ashkenazic Jews have genetic traces of the Kohen gene which is present in all descendents of the original Israelites.

What this fool is saying is pure antisemitic propaganda along the lines of the "Jews are Khazars" myth...

--- End quote ---

Antisemitic propaganda made by three Jews named Koestler, Wexler and Kriwakzek? Even when Koestler literally means "The Khazar", you doubt that at least some Jews are descended from Khazaria?

Who cares about genes? It proved to be [censored], that "Kohen gene" is present in non-Jewish populations too and genes change with aging.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version