Author Topic: Brilliant Idea  (Read 3850 times)

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
Brilliant Idea
« on: August 17, 2009, 09:06:30 PM »
Ok I figured out how to stop trolls. 2 ways: 1)Credit card is required for membership and forum access. No money but that way in case of a troll, we have their card. Nobody will sign up as a troll if they have to give their credit card number. 2)Charging for membership. Instead of banning IP addresses, we can ban their credit card. This way, JTF makes money, members won't mind, and trolls won't pay just to screw with us. And if they do, we still have access to their credit card.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
Re: Brilliant Idea
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 09:07:50 PM »
I think this could scare off a lot of legit members though.

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 09:08:14 PM »
Ok I figured out how to stop trolls. 2 ways: 1)Credit card is required for membership and forum access. No money but that way in case of a troll, we have their card. Nobody will sign up as a troll if they have to give their credit card number. 2)Charging for membership. Instead of banning IP addresses, we can ban their credit card. This way, JTF makes money, members won't mind, and trolls won't pay just to screw with us. And if they do, we still have access to their credit card.
It would stop the trolls but it would also kill off any new membership.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 09:08:46 PM »

If they are legit members then they won't care. They would trust Chaim/JTF with their credit card. I would.

Offline Manch

• Master JTFer
  • Kahane Tzadak!
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 09:15:11 PM »
it would turn away people. As long as trolls are banned in a timely fashion and we don't react to their posts, it should not be a problem.
Hayot Araviot Masrihot

Online Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 03:46:03 PM »
It is an assured way to kill this site. And I think there is no need to fear trolls and loons who join (be alert though), They are just keyboard warriors.

Offline Irish Zionist

• Forum Administrator
  • Ultimate JTFer
    • My zootube channel
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 03:56:58 PM »
Wouldn't scare off me, I have nothing to hide and anyone joining this forum, if they do have something to hide, shouldn't be here in my opinion. Btw just made my first donation and I feel great. Best $100 I ever spent and there's plenty more where that came from.
 :dance: :dance: :dance:
The banding together by the nations of the world against Israel is the guarantee that their time of destruction is near and the final redemption of the Jew at hand.
Rabbi Meir Kahane

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 06:02:03 PM »
Then at least members should have to pay after the first month or two

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 06:03:21 PM »
I don't like the idea of giving a credit card, you could give limited access to members who join who have to make a first post in the introduction forum then give full access? A screening process.

Offline SW

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 08:31:38 AM »
JTF should do it like on the Hayamin forum.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 12:07:42 PM »
I don't like the idea of giving a credit card, you could give limited access to members who join who have to make a first post in the introduction forum then give full access? A screening process.

Limited access until you hit 100 posts or something.

Offline sonja_yu

• Senior JTFer
    • My YouTube
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 03:35:51 PM »
It would stop the trolls but it would also kill off any new membership.

It would "kill off" old members, too.
Seriously, if there would be any need to have a credit-card to access the forum, I would have to abandon it, I have no credit cards, I'm minor and I couldn't ask the adults for cc access just like that and they never use them on the Internet, those cards are business only, for all the rest, we use good old-fashioned cash.

Offline Boyana

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2009, 06:35:49 PM »
It is brilliant ,I would give my credit card.
Personally I do not trust members that are not Jewish but suddenly just go on how much they love Jews,Love Chaim,love Israel,hate Arabs.,hate this,hate that.
Well if somebody wishes to convert to Judaism ,they are asked so many questions,what motives they have.
Same should be here

Offline דוד בן זאב אריה

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Kahane Was Right
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2009, 06:49:28 PM »
This will turn way too many people off. What about a 16 or 17 year old who doesn't have a credit card. I say we ban who we need to ban and that is that.
David Ben Ze'ev Aryeh

Offline sonja_yu

• Senior JTFer
    • My YouTube
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2009, 07:15:23 PM »
This will turn way too many people off. What about a 16 or 17 year old who doesn't have a credit card. I say we ban who we need to ban and that is that.

Heh, thanks for the support.

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2009, 07:45:54 PM »
Personally I do not trust members that are not Jewish but suddenly just go on how much they love Jews,Love Chaim,love Israel,hate Arabs.,hate this,hate that.
Well if somebody wishes to convert to Judaism ,they are asked so many questions,what motives they have.
Same should be here

Brilliant is not a word I would use for this idea. In all honesty its a bad idea. What needs to be done is closer monitoring of IP addresses in the approval process and quick banning if a newly approved member goes bad. If people see that their stay is going to be a short one if they get out of line they may not bother trying to sign up. We have had a number of Jewish members go bad just as we have had non Jewish members go bad. Lets not paint with a broad brush here because the non Jewish membership is not exactly tiny here on the English forum. Its posts like this that really cause me to wonder at times :thumbsdown:

Offline Confederate Kahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2009, 08:07:58 PM »
Not a verry good idea at all though doesn't hurt to think of ideas and ask what others think.
Chad M ~ Your rebel against white guilt

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2009, 09:06:28 PM »
After that incident with that fuc ktard who posted that pic, I'm tired of this b.s. Clearly trolls are still getting on and it's just not right.

Moshe92

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2009, 10:14:52 PM »
I don't have a credit card. I'm only 17.

Offline ag337

• Master JTFer
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2009, 10:23:23 PM »
Same should be here

Brilliant is not a word I would use for this idea. In all honesty its a bad idea. What needs to be done is closer monitoring of IP addresses in the approval process and quick banning if a newly approved member goes bad. If people see that their stay is going to be a short one if they get out of line they may not bother trying to sign up. We have had a number of Jewish members go bad just as we have had non Jewish members go bad. Lets not paint with a broad brush here because the non Jewish membership is not exactly tiny here on the English forum. Its posts like this that really cause me to wonder at times :thumbsdown:

cjd,
I am completely in agreement with you.
This is a bad idea that could cause JTF to lose present members and drive away future members.

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2009, 03:06:51 AM »
After that incident with that fuc ktard who posted that pic, I'm tired of this b.s. Clearly trolls are still getting on and it's just not right.
The forum is not a social club its a movement that deals with hot button issues that will cause people to disagree with us at times. As you have plainly seen this past week people who are long time members and seem to be  upstanding people can go bad and turn on the movement.  What picture was it that has you so upset anyway? More to the point does JTF really want to have the responsibility of keeping an official database filled with every members personal information. We have hundreds of trolls come to our forum since its been started and we have managed to deal with most of them with little or no lasting problems. The few big hitters that did put so much time and effort into the job that it would have been impossible to weed them out even with credit card verification.  Lets look for ideas to build the movement not frighten people away from it.

Offline syyuge

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2009, 12:42:52 PM »
BTW, is this troll problem limited to the English forums or is also on the Hebrew forums.
There are thunders and sparks in the skies, because Faraday invented the electricity.

Online Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2009, 01:06:56 PM »
BTW, is this troll problem limited to the English forums or is also on the Hebrew forums.
We had some troll infestation there too.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2009, 01:32:37 PM »
The forum is not a social club its a movement that deals with hot button issues that will cause people to disagree with us at times. As you have plainly seen this past week people who are long time members and seem to be  upstanding people can go bad and turn on the movement.  What picture was it that has you so upset anyway? More to the point does JTF really want to have the responsibility of keeping an official database filled with every members personal information. We have hundreds of trolls come to our forum since its been started and we have managed to deal with most of them with little or no lasting problems. The few big hitters that did put so much time and effort into the job that it would have been impossible to weed them out even with credit card verification.  Lets look for ideas to build the movement not frighten people away from it.
It was a sick picture of a dead jewish baby.

Offline syyuge

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2009, 02:01:43 PM »
We had some troll infestation there too.

In that case alert moderators are the best solution.
There are thunders and sparks in the skies, because Faraday invented the electricity.