Author Topic: NY Gov. David Paterson blames calls for him to step aside on race!  (Read 533 times)

Offline Dan

• Ultimate JTFer
Blame Whitey again!

Gov. Paterson blamed a racist media Friday for trying to push him out of next year's election - launching into an angry rant that left even some black Democrats shaking their heads.

"The whole idea is to get me not to run in the primary," Paterson complained on a morning radio show hosted by Daily News columnist Errol Louis.

He suggested that Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick, the country's only other African-American governor, also is under fire because of his race.

"We're not in the post-racial period," Paterson said.

"The reality is the next victim on the list - and you can see it coming - is President Barack Obama, who did nothing more than trying to reform a health care system."

Paterson said the campaign against him is being "orchestrated" by reporters who would rather make the news than report it.

But critics said the governor should blame his own blunders.

"He's given the media more than enough to feed on with the incompetence shown in his administration," said state Sen. Kevin Parker (D-Brooklyn), an African-American.

"To quote Michael Jackson, he should start with the man in the mirror," Parker said.

Even state Sen. Bill Perkins (D-Harlem), a black supporter of the governor, urged him to be more like Obama by staying "focused on the message."

Paterson has been the target of Democrats who fear his low approval ratings - 18% at their lowest and about 30% now - will endanger the party next year if he decides to run for his first full term as governor.

Paterson insisted in the interview that he has made tough decisions to deal with the state's ballooning budget deficits while at the same time helping those most in need.

He noted that the state, despite its fiscal crisis, has not had to write IOUs or had its bond ratings drastically reduced, like California, and is not in as bad straits as Pennsylvania, Michigan or Massachusetts.

He seemed to take a shot at Attorney General Andrew Cuomo, a possible primary competitor. Polls show Cuomo would trounce the governor in a match-up.

"If I run in the primary, the same people who are sitting in beach chairs while I'm in the ocean with the sharks will have to come into the ocean - and they will be eaten alive."

Paterson said there would be no shame in running next year - and losing.

"It will be my highest honor to have served as governor of this state, to make the tough decisions," he said.

Later, Paterson looked to downplay his comments, saying, "At no point did I claim that this media piling-on effect was due to race."

"What I did point out was that certain media outlets have engaged in coverage that exploits racial stereotypes," he said.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2009/08/21/2009-08-21_gov_david_paterson_blames_call_for_.html

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: NY Gov. David Paterson blames calls for him to step aside on race!
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 08:47:05 AM »
It's not my party and I would never vote for Paterson but on this I think he makes a point. Why not let him run in the primaries and loose fair and square. The party likes to position blacks like this in key positions but when they can't make the grade like most of them can't the vilify them and push them to the side. Let the guy have his shot in the primaries and loose fair and square. As far as the shvartza President goes I think Paterson might be correct to an extent. If the P.M.P can't close the deal on the Liberals Cap and trade and the health care  debacle the party will blame it all on him and move on. Black politicians in the Democrat party need to see that they are "Token Negro's" they draw votes and spout the party policy. Paterson gained his office by default which only makes him easer to dispose of.  The DNC mouthpiece that sits in the Oval Office will be harder to dispose of. But when he fails to produce he will be pushed aside for a politician more in the form of Bill Clinton.... Americas real first black president. :o
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline RationalThought110

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: NY Gov. David Paterson blames calls for him to step aside on race!
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 10:08:18 AM »
He's bitter that the media doesn't fawn over him the way they do for Obama.

The Democrat party seems to be pushing him out.  A lot of Democrats probably got annoyed at him when he didn't appoint Caroline Kennedy.

Obama implied racism during the campaign.  Remember when he said: "They'll say I don't look like the others on the currency."

But the national media basically acted as the press spokespersons for Obama's campaign so they denied it.