Author Topic: Black is beautiful? - Rashi commentary  (Read 909 times)

Offline Mishmaat

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate JTFer
  • !עם ישראל חי
Black is beautiful? - Rashi commentary
« on: August 28, 2009, 12:35:04 AM »
.ידעתי זה ימים רבים כי יפת מראה את, ועכשיו אנו באים בין אנשים שחורים ומכוערים, אחיהם של כושים, ולא הורגלו באשה יפה

"I have known already for a long time that you are of fair appearance, but now we are coming among black and ugly people, the brothers of the Kushim, and they are not accustomed to a beautiful woman." (Rashi, Lech-Lecha 12:11)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Black is beautiful? - Rashi commentary
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 12:47:03 AM »
This is what Avraham Avinu said to Sarah when they sojourned. Avraham pretended to be Sarahs brother so that the peoples of the nations would not kill him in order to steal Sarah. He was saying that he realized how beatiful she was... I have heard many discussions of this Paraha, Lech Lecha, where Avraham was told to leave the house of his father and go to a land that Hashem would show Avraham.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 12:50:37 AM »
.ידעתי זה ימים רבים כי יפת מראה את, ועכשיו אנו באים בין אנשים שחורים ומכוערים, אחיהם של כושים, ולא הורגלו באשה יפה

"I have known already for a long time that you are of fair appearance, but now we are coming among black and ugly people, the brothers of the Kushim, and they are not accustomed to a beautiful woman." (Rashi, Lech-Lecha 12:11)

There are some real loonies out there (black racist Jew-hating loonies) that have used that one line to craft entire mythologies about how the Jews supposedly 'ran the slave trade' and wanted to subjugate blacks and tried to give blacks aids virus, apparently because Rashi considered them not the most beautiful women to look at.....    Really bizarre.  You can find those idiots on youtube.   

Off topic but I have nothing to add here other than "no comment"   :)

Offline AsheDina

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • PSALMS 129:5 "ZION" THE Cornerstone.
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 07:10:40 AM »

WOW, Chaim was telling me about this the other night--INDEED! :thumbsdown:
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל
I endorse NO Presidential Candidates

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 03:56:10 PM »

WOW, Chaim was telling me about this the other night--INDEED! :thumbsdown:

Why thumbs down?

There was no such thing as PC in Rashi's day.

Offline Saxon Marauder

• Full JTFer
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 01:15:57 PM »
Also, that the most attractive black people, like Tyra Banks or Halle Berry have lighter skin tones. In Halle Berry's case, the reason is: she's half white and she's also shacked up with a white French Canadian who's the father of her daughter Nahla. Black is beautiful hehe.  :::D
Cædmon's Hymn:

Now we must honour the Guardian of Heaven,
the might of the Architect, and His purpose,
the work of the Father of Glory-as He, the Eternal Lord, established the beginning of wonders. He, the Holy Creator, first created heaven as a roof
for the children of men. Then the Guardian of Mankind the Eternal Lord, the Lord Almighty
afterwards appointed the middle earth, the lands, for men.