Author Topic: You're a year older than you think  (Read 758 times)

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
You're a year older than you think
« on: September 02, 2009, 08:21:58 AM »
My grandmother and other relatives always calculate my age a year older.
So, if a child's birth certificate says he is 5 years old, my elders would argue that he is 6.
The start calculating at conception.
So, a new-born is already 1.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
Re: You're a year older than you think
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 09:23:16 AM »
You see qurananimals are worse then rodents, 
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 10:46:54 AM by mord »
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 09:56:35 AM »
My grandmother and other relatives always calculate my age a year older.
So, if a child's birth certificate says he is 5 years old, my elders would argue that he is 6.
The start calculating at conception.
So, a new-born is already 1.

That is odd... The Birth day is calculated from the date of birth, not from the date of conception. Would it not be called the conception date and not the 'birth' date?

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 10:00:05 AM »

Yeah, it would actually be nine months.
They just add a year at birth.
Its obscured and passed down verbally.
But you know, after conception, the fetus IS alive.
Maybe that's why.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline HiWarp

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 10:13:31 AM »

Yeah, it would actually be nine months.
They just add a year at birth.
Its obscured and passed down verbally.
But you know, after conception, the fetus IS alive.
Maybe that's why.

I used to have this debate with my parents all the time when I was young. The way they explained it is that from the time you're born until you reach the end of your first year you are in your first year of life, therefore you are 1. Between the beginning of your second year and the end of your second year you are in your second year of life, therefore you are 2. And so on. So they would consider someone who is 1 year and 1 month old to be 2 because they are in their second year of life. I know at that young age most people use months to convey the age of their children but as you get older I don't know of anyone who says I'm 33 years and 4 months old. That may be what your relatives are doing.

I suppose if you really wanted to be specific you could split the difference, i.e. at 33 years and 182 days call yourself 33 years old and at 33 years and 183 days call yourself 34 years old. But then you'd have to factor in leap years and at that point you'd probably win the anal-retentive individual of the year award.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny;
when the government fears the people, there is liberty.”
---Thomas Jefferson

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 11:13:59 AM »
I've always thought that saying you're one year old after one year of birth, two years old until 2 years after birth, etc. is fine. I do think we need to acknowledge as a society though that it's only counting from birth, it's not counting from when you were first alive.

I've always thought there was a problem in a way with counting from birth for premature children. Their actual age is younger than their birthday would indicate, and so they don't necessarily reach "age milestones" at the same time as other kids. This isn't necessarily because of problems in the womb, but it could just be that they are actually a month or two younger than a child that should have reached a certain milestone at their "age".