Author Topic: Rosh Hashanna Falls out on Shabbat this year  (Read 7912 times)

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: Rosh Hashanna Falls out on Shabbat this year
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2009, 09:13:45 PM »
So it's settled. Next year, if chas v'shalom Moshiach doesn't come by then, all the JTF members will go to Umman.

That would be quite interesting, considering the differences betwenn the philosophy of the average Jewish JTF member, and that of the ever-joyous, never-angry Breslovers.

Breslovers find the good in everything and everyone.  No matter what terrible things befall you, they will always convince you that everything is for the best.

Yes, one of my closest friend's dad is a Breslover and he's always saying how everything is all for the best. Although, Judaism in general teaches that Gam Zo L'tova.

Very true, unfortunately the despicable self-pitying "woe is me" ungrateful attitude is so rife in the Western World, that it has affected many people.  Unfortunately, we are told by the media and the leftists that we're all getting screwed, and these same people have imbued a general ungratefulness that is now common amongst North Americans and Europeans.
Unfortunately, this has now affected many Jews, who have no idea how lucky they are and how grateful they should be for every breath they take.

Very well put.

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2009, 10:27:13 PM »

Because the shofar is an instrument of melacha, you cannot carry it on Shabbes regardless of whether there is an eruv.

Melacha?  What melacha is performed by blowing air into a horn?   I don't see how that is a melacha but maybe I'm wrong.   Also in the quote muman posted, they did not say it is an instrument of melacha, in fact rabba said we should blow shofar even on Shabbath.   And then, indeed, the article says that the reason we don't is that in the end, the issue of carrying was the problem.

"The Gemara (Rosh Ha-shana 29b) cites Rabba's assertion that as far as Torah law is concerned, we should blow the shofar on Rosh Ha-shana even if it occurs on Shabbat. The Sages, however, decreed that the shofar not be blown on Shabbat, as one may neglectfully carry his shofar through the public domain (which is forbidden on Shabbat) in order to practice blowing under the tutelage of an expert." 

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2009, 10:27:49 PM »
Maybe the article is wrong, but I'm just going by that right now since I don't really know.