Author Topic: Feds: Suspect hit beauty stores for bomb supplies  (Read 931 times)

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
Feds: Suspect hit beauty stores for bomb supplies
« on: September 24, 2009, 01:37:15 PM »
NEW YORK – An Afghan immigrant plotted for more than a year to detonate homemade bombs in the United States, had recently bought bomb-making supplies from beauty supply stores and was looking for "urgent" help in the past two weeks to make explosives, an indictment charged Thursday.

Najibullah Zazi — a 24-year-old airport shuttle driver who authorities said received explosives and weapons training from al-Qaida during a trip to Pakistan last year — was charged in New York with conspiracy to use weapons of mass destruction.

His arrest in Denver a week ago on charges that he lied to terrorism investigators sparked home and business searches in New York and Denver, as well as a flurry of national warnings of possible bomb attacks on transit, sports and entertainment complexes.

Authorities hadn't determined a time and place of a possible attack, and Attorney General Eric Holder said in Washington, "We believe any imminent threat arising from this case has been disrupted."

Counterterrorism agents have said they feared Zazi and others might have been planning to detonate homemade bombs on New York City commuter trains.

The two-page indictment of Zazi — who appeared in a Denver court on Thursday — offers few details, but a separate document — a government motion seeking to deny bail — lays out evidence gathered by investigators.

The airport shuttle driver began plotting to "use one or more weapons of mass destruction" between Aug. 1, 2008, and September 2009 against the United States, the papers say.

The document says that on Sept. 6 and 7, Zazi tried to communicate with another individual "seeking to correct mixtures of ingredients to make explosives."

"Each communication," the papers say, was "more urgent than the last."

On those days, Zazi rented a suite at a hotel in his hometown of Aurora, Colo., authorities charge. The room had a kitchen, and subsequent FBI testing for explosives and residue in the suite found the presence of residue in the vent above the stove.

In July and August, Zazi bought unusually large amounts of hydrogen peroxide and acetone — a solvent commonly found in nail polish remover — from beauty supply stores in the Denver metropolitan area, the document says. He searched the Internet for home improvement stores in Queens before driving a rental car for a two-day trip to the city, the document says.

Zazi has publicly denied any terrorist plotting. But a series of searches in Denver and New York City over the past two weeks — including high-profile raids on Queens apartments that netted backpacks, cell phones and a scale — haven't found any evidence of explosives.

Beauty supply store employees in New York and the Denver suburbs said authorities had been there recently asking whether large quantities of hydrogen peroxide or acetone supplies had been purchased.

At Hidden Beauty in Queens' Flushing neighborhood, a quick walk from the apartment where Zazi stayed this month, a plainclothes officer stopped by and asked whether anyone had been there to buy a large amount of acetone, store employee Sam Chin said Thursday. The manager told him that no one had, Chin said.

John Choy, a salesman for 707 Beauty Supply and Fashion Plus in the Denver suburb of Aurora, said FBI agents went to his store about two weeks ago and asked him whether he sold hydrogen peroxide to anyone recently. Choy said that the store sells only a few small bottles a year and that no one who bought it fit the description of Zazi.

Zazi's father, Mohammed Wali Zazi, and a New York City imam, Ahmad Wais Afzali, also appeared in court Thursday on charges of lying to investigators of the terror plot.

Mohammed Zazi was ordered in Denver to be freed under court supervision until an Oct. 9 hearing, although authorities planned to transfer him soon to New York. Afzali was released in New York on $1.5 million bond.

Afzali's attorney, Ron Kuby, denied that his client — who authorities said helped tip Zazi off with a phone call that investigators had been asking about him — knew anything about a plot.

"Obviously, the government would not be consenting to bail if it thought he was involved in a terrorism conspiracy," he said.

A second, unrelated indictment unsealed Thursday in the same court charged a Brooklyn man with supporting terrorism in what authorities say is an investigation. An indictment alleges Betim Kaziu traveled to Pakistan this year to try to receive training from a militant group linked to al-Qaida, and tried to go to Afghanistan and Iraq to fight against U.S. forces there.

Kaziu was to be arraigned later Thursday. Prosecutors did not have the name of his attorney.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090924/ap_on_re_us/us_nyc_terror

Offline SW

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: Feds: Suspect hit beauty stores for bomb supplies
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 02:55:57 PM »
Homegrown terrorism is on its way. It's nothing new. Just look at 9/11. These terrorists used American airplanes, American schools, and so on.

I am really scared that something like that happen in Germany. I am very very sure that homegrown terrorism is active in Germany. There are already known Hamas and Hizbollah supporters who donate these Terror organizations with money. It's just a matter of time till something happens in Germany. And I really hope Germany will wake up and see how peaceful and lovely Islam is.

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 02:57:44 PM »
Homegrown terrorism is on its way. It's nothing new. Just look at 9/11. These terrorists used American airplanes, American schools, and so on.

I am really scared that something like that happen in Germany. I am very very sure that homegrown terrorism is active in Germany. There are already known Hamas and Hizbollah supporters who donate these Terror organizations with money. It's just a matter of time till something happens in Germany. And I really hope Germany will wake up and see how peaceful and lovely Islam is.
:nono:

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 03:06:02 PM »

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/133540

Al-Qaeda Threatens 'Rude Awakening' for Germany
Tishrei 4, 5770, 22 September 09 01:33
by Nissan Ratzlav-Katz

(Israelnationalnews.com) A new Al-Qaeda recording threatens the start of "jihad in Germany" should the electorate return Chancellor Angela Merkel to power next week. The spokesman in the video appeared again one day later in a second video discussing his personal devotion to Islam and death for Allah.

German authorities and most terrorism analysts are taking very seriously the mounting threats to Germany by the international terror organization.

In a video released into jihadist forums on Friday, an Al-Qaeda spokesman known as Abu Talha al-Almani ("the German") warned that if Angela Merkel wins the German national elections on September 27 2009, the result will be "bitter" for the German people. They can expect a "rude awakening," he said in a German-language recording. If Merkel is reelected, Abu Talha warned, Germans "have [signed] their own verdict."

Addressing Muslims in Germany, the jihadist warns, "Stay away from anything vital for two weeks after the election" if the electorate refuses to take his warning seriously. However, he also personally guarantees that "the city of Kiel will remain safe irrespective of how long the conflict will last in Germany."

"I am telling the youth of Islam in Germany: my dear brethren in Islam, should the jihad begin in Germany, let Al-Qaeda do its job first," Abu Talha said. "If there should be any need later and we would have to move on to the next phase, we will tell you, inshallah ('Allah willing'), what every one of you can do to participate in the jihad in Germany."

The Al-Qaeda jihadist places an additional condition on ending the organization's conflict with Germany: "With the withdrawal of the last German soldier, the last mujahedin ('jihad fighter') will also be withdrawn from Germany."

The Abu Talha release gives additional weight to an earlier jihadist communication this month that included an explicit threat of a 9/11-like attack in Germany. The communication declared that "everyone knows" that the "next strike is very near, a strike that will surprise everyone in its effect, which will be much more shocking than that of 9/11/2001." At the time, analysts from the Institute of Terrorism Research and Response commented that the recent Al-Qaeda communications have been unusual in explicitly specifying the timing and type of an attack on Germany and German assets.

'Turn Unto Your Lord Repentant and Surrender'

On Saturday, a second Al-Qaeda video featuring someone alleged to be Abu Talha as well discusses jihad, the issue of sin and the speaker's love for Islam and martyrdom. The video, entitled "O Allah, I Love You (Part I)", calls for repentance and describes the fate of infidels in the End of Days using extensive quotations from the Koran.

Among the texts referred to are the phrases, from Chapter 39 of the Koran (verses 54-55): "Turn unto your Lord repentant, and surrender unto Him, before there come unto you the doom, when ye cannot be helped. And follow the better (guidance) of that which is revealed unto you from your Lord, before the doom cometh on you suddenly when ye know not." Later Koranic verses, 39:58, are cited in the same reading: "Or should say, when [you] seeth the doom: Oh, that I had but a second chance that I might be among the righteous! (But now the answer will be): Nay, for My revelations came unto thee, but thou didst deny them and wast scornful and wast among the disbelievers."

Germans Defiant or Unaware?
Current polls would seem to indicate that the German people are either unaware of or defiant against Al-Qaeda's latest threats.

A public opinion survey by Forsa for Germany's RTL Television released Tuesday showed that Angela Merkel's parliamentary bloc (Christian Democratic Union, Christian Social Union, the Bavarian CSU, and the Social Democratic Part) and the Free Democrats Party (FDP) could form a leading coalition in next week's elections.

No combination of major left-wing parties was able to garner enough support in the public opinion poll to indicate that a serious coalition challenge could be mounted. %ad%

In light of the increased jihadist chatter and activity focused on Germany and the coming elections, Berlin has raised the national terrorism alert level.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline SW

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 03:10:38 PM »

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/133540

Al-Qaeda Threatens 'Rude Awakening' for Germany
Tishrei 4, 5770, 22 September 09 01:33
by Nissan Ratzlav-Katz

(Israelnationalnews.com) A new Al-Qaeda recording threatens the start of "jihad in Germany" should the electorate return Chancellor Angela Merkel to power next week. The spokesman in the video appeared again one day later in a second video discussing his personal devotion to Islam and death for Allah.

German authorities and most terrorism analysts are taking very seriously the mounting threats to Germany by the international terror organization.

In a video released into jihadist forums on Friday, an Al-Qaeda spokesman known as Abu Talha al-Almani ("the German") warned that if Angela Merkel wins the German national elections on September 27 2009, the result will be "bitter" for the German people. They can expect a "rude awakening," he said in a German-language recording. If Merkel is reelected, Abu Talha warned, Germans "have [signed] their own verdict."

Addressing Muslims in Germany, the jihadist warns, "Stay away from anything vital for two weeks after the election" if the electorate refuses to take his warning seriously. However, he also personally guarantees that "the city of Kiel will remain safe irrespective of how long the conflict will last in Germany."

"I am telling the youth of Islam in Germany: my dear brethren in Islam, should the jihad begin in Germany, let Al-Qaeda do its job first," Abu Talha said. "If there should be any need later and we would have to move on to the next phase, we will tell you, inshallah ('Allah willing'), what every one of you can do to participate in the jihad in Germany."

The Al-Qaeda jihadist places an additional condition on ending the organization's conflict with Germany: "With the withdrawal of the last German soldier, the last mujahedin ('jihad fighter') will also be withdrawn from Germany."

The Abu Talha release gives additional weight to an earlier jihadist communication this month that included an explicit threat of a 9/11-like attack in Germany. The communication declared that "everyone knows" that the "next strike is very near, a strike that will surprise everyone in its effect, which will be much more shocking than that of 9/11/2001." At the time, analysts from the Institute of Terrorism Research and Response commented that the recent Al-Qaeda communications have been unusual in explicitly specifying the timing and type of an attack on Germany and German assets.

'Turn Unto Your Lord Repentant and Surrender'

On Saturday, a second Al-Qaeda video featuring someone alleged to be Abu Talha as well discusses jihad, the issue of sin and the speaker's love for Islam and martyrdom. The video, entitled "O Allah, I Love You (Part I)", calls for repentance and describes the fate of infidels in the End of Days using extensive quotations from the Koran.

Among the texts referred to are the phrases, from Chapter 39 of the Koran (verses 54-55): "Turn unto your Lord repentant, and surrender unto Him, before there come unto you the doom, when ye cannot be helped. And follow the better (guidance) of that which is revealed unto you from your Lord, before the doom cometh on you suddenly when ye know not." Later Koranic verses, 39:58, are cited in the same reading: "Or should say, when [you] seeth the doom: Oh, that I had but a second chance that I might be among the righteous! (But now the answer will be): Nay, for My revelations came unto thee, but thou didst deny them and wast scornful and wast among the disbelievers."

Germans Defiant or Unaware?
Current polls would seem to indicate that the German people are either unaware of or defiant against Al-Qaeda's latest threats.

A public opinion survey by Forsa for Germany's RTL Television released Tuesday showed that Angela Merkel's parliamentary bloc (Christian Democratic Union, Christian Social Union, the Bavarian CSU, and the Social Democratic Part) and the Free Democrats Party (FDP) could form a leading coalition in next week's elections.

No combination of major left-wing parties was able to garner enough support in the public opinion poll to indicate that a serious coalition challenge could be mounted. %ad%

In light of the increased jihadist chatter and activity focused on Germany and the coming elections, Berlin has raised the national terrorism alert level.

Great!  :clap: :clap: :clap:

Al Qaeda is the alarm-clock for Germany. And what do you do with an alarm-clock if it annoy or terrorize? You destroy it so that it will never ring (terrorize or annoy) you again!

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 03:22:55 PM »
Maybe he was opening a new Beauty Salon in Afghanistan... Lets not rush to judgment.

;D
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 03:25:00 PM »
Maybe he was opening a new Beauty Salon in Afghanistan... Lets not rush to judgment.

;D

Those women have intense beards.