Author Topic: Administration plans big pay cuts at bailout firms  (Read 475 times)

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
Administration plans big pay cuts at bailout firms
« on: October 21, 2009, 04:41:00 PM »
WASHINGTON – The Obama administration plans to order companies that received huge government bailouts last year to sharply cut the compensation of their highest paid executives, according to a person familiar with the decision.

The seven companies that received the most assistance will have to cut the annual salaries of their 25 highest-paid executive by an average of about 90 percent from last year, said the person, who spoke on condition of anonymity because it has not been announced.

This person said Wednesday that the Treasury Department will announce the deep pay cuts within the next few days.

Kenneth Feinberg, the special master at Treasury appointed by Obama to handle compensation issues at the seven firms getting exceptional assistance from the government's $700 billion financial bailout package, is making the pay decisions.

The seven companies are: Bank of America Corp., American International Group Inc., Citigroup Inc., General Motors, GMAC, Chrysler and Chrysler Financial.

Total compensation for the top executives at the seven firms will decline, on average, by about 50 percent, according to the person familiar with the administration's decision.

At the financial products division of AIG, the giant insurance company which has received taxpayer assistance valued at more than $180 billion, no top executive will receive more than $200,000 in total compensation, the person familiar with Feinberg's plan said. The administration also will warn AIG that it must fulfill a commitment to significantly reduce the $198 million in bonuses promised to employees in its financial services division, the arm of the company whose risky trades caused its downfall.

The pay restrictions for all seven companies will require any executive seeking more than $25,000 in special benefits — things such as country club memberships, private planes and company cars — to get permission for those perks from the government.

Tom Wilkinson, a GM spokesman, said the auto company was "currently in discussions with Mr. Feinberg's office regarding executive compensation. We will have further information once those discussions have concluded."

Gina Proia, a spokeswoman for GMAC, said the finance company has "been working on a proposal that aims at embodying the principles set forth for compensation along with balancing the need to retain critical talent necessary to execute our turnaround. Until we receive notification about that plan, we have no further comment."

A spokeswoman for Chrysler Financial declined comment. A Chrysler spokeswoman did not immediately comment.

Feinberg's decisions on pay come after administration officials voiced sharp criticism in recent days of the plans of Wall Street firms to pay huge bonuses at a time when the country is still coping with rising unemployment and the effects of the recession.

Obama senior adviser David Axelrod called the bonuses "offensive" on Sunday.

"They ought to think through what they are doing and they ought to understand that a year ago a lot of these institutions were teetering on the brink and the United States government and taxpayers came to their defense," Axelrod said in an appearance on ABC's "This Week."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091021/ap_on_bi_ge/us_obama_executive_pay

Offline Ulli

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: Administration plans big pay cuts at bailout firms
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 04:50:56 PM »
The problem is here, that you will not find good employees if you cut the salery so much. I think this will backfire.

"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 06:30:02 PM »
The problem is here, that you will not find good employees if you cut the salery so much. I think this will backfire.

In my opinion, the problem is that the government should NEVER be in the business of telling businesses what the should pay and who they should hire.  This is a very slippery slope.

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 07:14:57 PM »
This is only the start soon he will be doing this to more and more companies. People would be surprised to see the amount of simple minded fools that think this is a good idea. I hope they feel the same when the pay Nazi is evaluating what their pay should be.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline Ulli

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 01:17:35 AM »

In my opinion, the problem is that the government should NEVER be in the business of telling businesses what the should pay and who they should hire.  This is a very slippery slope.

Of cause you are right Brian.
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani