Author Topic: Israel: Gaza rocket can reach metro Tel Aviv  (Read 1088 times)

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
Israel: Gaza rocket can reach metro Tel Aviv
« on: November 03, 2009, 10:25:55 PM »
JERUSALEM - Hamas militants in Gaza have successfully test-fired what is believed to be an Iranian rocket able to reach Israel's largest urban center, the country's military intelligence chief said Tuesday.

Maj. Gen. Amos Yadlin told parliament's foreign affairs and defense committee that the rocket could fly 37 miles, and strike metropolitan Tel Aviv, Israeli media reported.

Until now, rockets fired from Gaza have reached up to 25 miles, putting one-eighth of Israel's population within rocket range.

Yadlin said the rocket was fired in recent days, but no further details were immediately available from his testimony before the closed session.

Defense officials say Palestinian militants in Gaza generally test-fire rockets into the Mediterranean Sea.

It was not clear whether the rocket actually flew 37 miles, or why Yadlin described the rocket as being of Iranian origin.

The Israeli military has said in the past that rockets that reached Israel were from Iran, citing paint, tool work and lettering on fragments from projectiles found after impact. But the military has not publicly released clear evidence proving Iranian involvement.

'They threaten our civilians'
Hamas, the Islamic militant group that rules Gaza, called Israel's claims an attempt to "justify the crimes it committed in Gaza."

Tehran had no comment on Yadlin's allegations of Iranian involvement.

Speaking during a joint U.S.-Israel military exercise on Tuesday, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said such missiles threaten the "whole world ... but first of all, they threaten our civilians, our cities."

Israel launched a bruising war against Gaza militants last winter to quash rocket and mortar fire that had bombarded southern Israeli communities for eight years.

Although the attacks have decreased dramatically — from 3,300 rockets and mortars fired in 2008 to 250 since the war ended — Israeli officials say weapons continue to reach militants through tunnels under Gaza's border with Egypt.

Israel vulnerable to rocket fire
Media cited Yadlin as saying that militants now had as many rockets as they did before the war, if not more. Defense officials have estimated militants had 3,000 rockets before the fighting began and fired or lost to Israeli airstrikes more than 1,000.

Most of the Hamas rockets targeted at Israel are crude projectiles cobbled together in small metal shops. But militants also have fired more sophisticated, longer-range weapons, believed made from parts originating in Syria or Iran.

While rockets cannot match the firepower of Israel's military, they have killed 21 civilians and four security personnel over the past eight years and have been highly effective in terrorizing residents of Israel's southern communities.

Israel is also vulnerable to rocket fire from the north, where Lebanese Hezbollah guerrillas have amassed tens of thousands of projectiles, some capable of reaching southern Israel.

Israel fought a monthlong war with Hezbollah in 2006 after it captured two soldiers in a cross-border raid. Militants bombarded northern Israel with some 4,000 rockets during that conflict.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33606389/ns/world_news-mideastn_africa/

Offline nopeaceforland

• Master JTFer
Re: Israel: Gaza rocket can reach metro Tel Aviv
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 10:45:31 PM »
I want to park my car. Let's make Gaza a parking lot!

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 10:47:37 PM »

Your tonka trucks do not count
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 05:56:45 PM by Americanhero »

Offline Manch

• Master JTFer
  • Kahane Tzadak!
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 06:14:04 AM »
For one, it is a natural consequence of Israeli lunacy. Secondly, I do not think it is such a bad development - spread the joy of arab hospitaliry among the ruling elites and left-wing enclaves.
Hayot Araviot Masrihot

Offline BinyaminUzi

• New JTFer
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 01:29:31 PM »
I read this, it's insane. This was easily predicted though, the liberals are in the line of fire now, maybe they'll realize they were wrong.

Offline nopeaceforland

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 05:56:17 PM »

Your tanka trucks do not count

:'(

Offline Aces High

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 09:48:47 PM »
If Hamas reaches the places with their rockets, where the wealthy, left wingers live,  then Israel will be pressured  to take the kid gloves off, and hit Arab population centers to stop rockets.  Just my opinion.

Offline syyuge

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 02:10:11 AM »
Try parking this in Gaza. ;D

There are thunders and sparks in the skies, because Faraday invented the electricity.