Author Topic: IRA suspect, Kevin Crilly, charged with '77 murder of British spy Robert Nairac  (Read 3292 times)

Offline ag337

• Master JTFer
IRA suspect, Kevin Crilly, charged with '77 murder of British spy Robert Nairac

IRA suspect, Kevin Crilly, charged with '77 murder of British spy Robert Nairac

A suspected Irish Republican Army man was charged Wednesday with the murder of a British Army intelligence agent on the Northern Ireland border 32 years ago, a surprising turn in one of the conflict's most mysterious killings.

Northern Ireland state prosecutors levied the unexpected new charge at a regular bail hearing for Kevin Crilly. Last year the 58-year-old was arrested and charged with kidnapping and falsely imprisoning — but not killing — Capt. Robert Nairac.

In May 1977 an IRA gang abducted Nairac from a pub in the outlaws' border stronghold of South Armagh, a close-knit society dubbed "bandit country" that Nairac had sought to infiltrate by posing as a Belfast IRA man.

The Oxford University-educated Catholic had learned Gaelic-language IRA drinking songs and a rough Belfast accent, and deployed both in his pub-crawling surveillance operations. But it didn't fool local IRA men.

His body was never found.

Crilly admits to driving at least one IRA member on the night of the killing but denies further involvement. He fled to the United States and stayed there until 2004, when he returned home using another name, Declan Parr.

Crilly's lawyers complained bitterly they had been ambushed by the murder charge as well as by a renewed attempt to withdraw Crilly's right to bail.

District Judge Austin Kennedy upheld Crilly's right to remain free on a 120,000-pound ($200,000) bond backed by cash and family property. Crilly left the courthouse in the border town of Newry holding his black leather jacket over his head and dived into the back of a waiting car.

Six IRA members have already served prison sentences for their part in overpowering Nairac, taking him across the border into a Republic of Ireland forest, interrogating him and shooting him in the head. Three were convicted of his murder, three others of manslaughter, kidnapping or withholding information.

If convicted, Crilly would be likely to serve less than a year in prison. Northern Ireland's 1998 peace accord delivered early freedom for more than 200 IRA convicts and promised speedy paroles for IRA members subsequently convicted of pre-1998 crimes.

Nairac posthumously won the George Cross, Britain's highest civilian award for bravery. His 1979 citation credited him with exceptional toughness and courage for trying repeatedly to escape, and refusing to reveal anything to his executioners.

The IRA killed more than 700 British soldiers during its failed 1970-97 campaign to force Northern Ireland out of the United Kingdom. Nairac was the only one whose body disappeared.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/2009/11/11/2009-11-11_ira_suspect_charged_with_77_murder_of_british_spy_.html#ixzz0WfrSzKSB

Offline Irish Zionist

• Forum Administrator
  • Ultimate JTFer
    • My zootube channel
Robert Nairac was a traitor and I'm glad this scum got killed. I'm dancing on his grave.  :dance: :dance: :dance:
The banding together by the nations of the world against Israel is the guarantee that their time of destruction is near and the final redemption of the Jew at hand.
Rabbi Meir Kahane

Offline ProudAndZionist

• Master JTFer
  • PPE
Robert Nairac was a traitor and I'm glad this scum got killed. I'm dancing on his grave.  :dance: :dance: :dance:
:dance: :dance: :dance:
We are giants, giants in love...and if you ask that who are we, then you must be a dwarf.

Offline IsraeliGovtAreKapos

• Ultimate JTFer
                                                   בס"ד

Slam the IRA  >:(

Offline HiWarp

• Master JTFer
So now someone who kills a spy who infiltrates their country and uses subterfuge to gain access to information to be used against them is charged with murder? Sounds a bit strange. Isn't the possibility of discovery and elimination a job hazard if you choose to pursue a career in espionage as a field operative?
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny;
when the government fears the people, there is liberty.”
---Thomas Jefferson

Offline Irish Zionist

• Forum Administrator
  • Ultimate JTFer
    • My zootube channel
 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Still dancing.  :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
The banding together by the nations of the world against Israel is the guarantee that their time of destruction is near and the final redemption of the Jew at hand.
Rabbi Meir Kahane

Offline ProudAndZionist

• Master JTFer
  • PPE
We are giants, giants in love...and if you ask that who are we, then you must be a dwarf.

Offline Irish Zionist

• Forum Administrator
  • Ultimate JTFer
    • My zootube channel
May this piece of scum traitor burn in hell. :nuke:

Rabbi Meir Kahane

Offline t_h_j

• Master JTFer

traitor to who?  he wasn't irish. 

btw, where would ireland be without england today?

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
t_h_j, don't you have anything better to do that to play devil's advocate here?  It seems like that's all you when you post here. 

Offline t_h_j

• Master JTFer
t_h_j, don't you have anything better to do that to play devil's advocate here?  It seems like that's all you when you post here. 

its not devil's advocate.  I have no sympathy or support for the IRA.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
Nope, he only has sympathy for the Tamils and Fakestinians.

Offline ProudAndZionist

• Master JTFer
  • PPE

Then Northern Ireland would be Irish now.  ::)

Offline t_h_j

• Master JTFer

are you talking about the same people the IRA liked to train with?

Offline t_h_j

• Master JTFer

Then Northern Ireland would be Irish now.  ::)

and you think they want to be part of ireland?

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist

well, you are correct--the IRA are pro-Muslim. You should love them.

Offline t_h_j

• Master JTFer

well, you are correct--the IRA are pro-Muslim. You should love them.

of course I am, nevermind that you just made that up along with all your other stupid accusations. 

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
okay. lol

Offline Cato

• Pro JTFer
Can anyone tell me what the IRA, which has killed and maimed thousands of innocent civilians over the past 50 years, has achieved which is more than the Scottish National Party has done, without harming anyone? Nothing, except engender the financial support of countless Amercians who think they understand everything, and have the arbitrary right to support a terrorist organisation in a country which is their best/only military ally.