Author Topic: Should Converts only date Converts?  (Read 23658 times)

newman

Re: Should Converts only date Converts?
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2007, 02:29:50 PM »
Kananga,

Please follow the link at the bottom of this extract.

In the Torah, you will see many references to "the strangers who dwell among you" or "righteous proselytes" or "righteous strangers." These are various classifications of non-Jews who lived among Jews, adopting some or all of the beliefs and practices of Judaism without going through the formal process of conversion and becoming Jews. Once a person has converted to Judaism, he is not referred to by any special term; he is as much a Jew as anyone born Jewish.

http://www.jewfaq.org/whoisjew.htm

Offline Kananga

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2007, 04:34:35 PM »
Why do you worry so much what people think? Worry about what Hashem thinks.

Moses married a Cushite woman from the tribe of Midian!

Yeah, but I know.. I know.  I really don't care what other people think to a large extent, otherwise I would have never converted.   It only when I have to consider other people in my life that I have to bother with protecting their feelings, defending their good standing, and stuff like that.  That's just how I am.  If I say that I've got your back, then I've got your back.  I do care about the Rabbi and would not want to behave in a way that would invalidate the good work he does or my status as a Jew.  I'm well aware that we're free to do a lot in our lives as Jews, just so as we conform to the Torah.

But with his whole "I have to marry a Jew" thing gets so complicated.  It always undoubtingly goes back to the "Who's a Jew?" thing, along with "Are you with us, or are you with them?"  Compounded by the fact that at this age, I hardly ever meet any Jewish women that I connect with.  They're either overbearingly hostile to Judaism, not interested in having children, too old to have children, or they sway "to the other side of the fence".  Plus all the other usual stuff that happens when people from different backgrounds get together.

But what can I say?  It's just frustrating.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 04:39:30 PM by Kananga »

Offline Shoshana

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2007, 06:55:58 PM »
Yes, I have underwent a halachic conversion and consider myself a Jew by faith.  The term "Jewish" to me implies ethnicity, as in Ashkenazic or Sephardic, to which I am neither. 

Why kid myself?  It's the same thing as someone chooses to identify as an Ashkenazic jew, white atheist, or Irish Catholic.  Nor am I going to agonize over the idea of gaining acceptance into the Jewish community for the rest of my life.  I mean really... who do you know who wastes themselves worrying about stuff like that all the time.  I self-identify as a Black Jew, and although it's my choice to do so, in reality it's the only choice I really have.

I'm a vegetarian.  I only eat kosher cheese.  I've kashered or replaces all of my plates and installed a metal sink.  If I meet someone who agrees with my lifestyle, who doesn't make a big deal out of me wearing a tzit-tzit, or going to synagogue to worship, I don't see what the problem is.

Congrats on the conversion! That's just wonderful!
You are just as Jewish as any other Jew. I do though think as a person who chose this religion and lifestyle if it is important to you then you should either marry a Jewish woman or marry a woman who is willing to convert. Good luck!

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2007, 10:03:46 PM »
a Jew cant "marry" a non-Jew, so if you think your married and having relations with her, according to the Zohar its one of the most severe sins a Jew can commit. No offense, but someone who converts and then does this will either have his conversion retroactivly be disqualified or even worse (by being judged as a Jew who has commited this sin of which it is said that Avraham stands at the gates of heaven and doesnt let Jews who do these type of things in (unless serious teshuva + all the gillgulim and other punishements if their lucky).
 Anyway if you dont mind me asking did you get a brit milah?
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/