Author Topic: My mom's friend wants to convert me......  (Read 11383 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: My mom's friend wants to convert me......
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2009, 01:44:37 AM »
if Hashem is another word for G-d. Yes I believe in Him, His Son and His Holy Spirit.

Once again you are stating Heresy according to Jewish belief...  You believe in Three G-ds, heaven fofend! Im sorry that you find a need to do so...

« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 01:54:39 AM by muman613 »
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2009, 01:46:22 AM »
Hashem is One, His name is One!

http://www.neveh.org/ciner/parsha60/vayachee.html
The Ohr Gedalyahu explains the exact moment when Yaakov reached this state. When Yaakov arrived in Mitzrayim he had an emotion-filled reunion with his long lost son, Yosef. “He (Yosef) appeared before him (Yaakov) and fell on his neck and wept. [46:29]”

Yosef fell on the neck of his father and wept. The passuk {verse} pointedly writes this in the singular. Yosef was crying on his father's neck. His father, Yaakov, wasn’t crying on his neck. What was he doing? Rashi brings from the Medrash that he was reciting the ‘Shma’ prayer: Hear Israel, Hashem is our G-d (Elokim), Hashem is One.

The questions are very obvious. Why did Yaakov decide to say Shma precisely at the moment when he sees his beloved son after a twenty-two year separation? Not five minutes earlier, not five minutes later! Furthermore, if this actually was the only time to say it, why didn’t Yosef also recite the Shma?

The Mahara”l explains beautifully that at that moment, Yaakov’s heart was filled with a most incredible, all-encompassing feeling of love. Yaakov didn’t want to let that once in a lifetime opportunity pass without utilizing it to its full potential. He wanted to channel that feeling toward Hashem. At the moment when Yosef came to him, when the feeling of love was at its strongest, he said the ‘Shma.’

However, based on what we’ve said so far, the Ohr Gedalyahu offers a different explanation.

“Hear Israel, Hashem is our G-d (Elokim), Hashem is One.” We have different names for Hashem, each describing a different way that He deals with and interacts with this world. He is called Hashem, referring to His compassion. He is called Elokim, referring to His judgment. In this confusing world there are different names for what we view as almost contradictory ways that Hashem acts. Ultimately, Hashem will be one and His name will be One. Ultimately, we will achieve that understanding that there was no contradiction whatsoever in the myriad ways that He dealt with this world. There were no separate situations of ‘tov’ {good} and ‘ra’ {evil}—Hashem is Elokim. His name will be One.

“Hear Israel, Hashem is our Elokim, Hashem is One.” That is a proclamation of our belief that we will ultimately reach that understanding and clarity.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 01:53:03 AM by muman613 »
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2009, 01:54:04 AM »
Let us remember that we are not trying to convince anyone about anything. I am just stating from the Jewish perspective these ideas (G-d didn't create everything in physicality and the Trinity) are Avodah Zarah and a Jew should not even think like that...

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2009, 02:29:39 AM »
if Hashem is another word for G-d. Yes I believe in Him, His Son and His Holy Spirit.
In that case, it's a good thing you're not Jewish  :whew:

Offline patches

• Senior JTFer
  • To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2009, 06:35:17 AM »

Once again you are stating Heresy according to Jewish belief...  You believe in Three G-ds, heaven fofend! Im sorry that you find a need to do so...

Since you guys are clearing up some Jewish ideas, I feel I should clear this up.

Christianity is a monotheistic religion as well. There is one God, God the father, God the son, God the holy spirit. It's called the Holy Trinity. Water is liquid, ice, and vapor, but it's all still water. Man is physical, mental and spiritual, but a man nonetheless.

Chaim incorrectly called Christianity a polytheistic religion recently as well. You can sit here and debate why these beliefs are silly or incorrect, but the official Christian position is that it is a monotheistic religion.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2009, 11:07:28 AM »

Since you guys are clearing up some Jewish ideas, I feel I should clear this up.

Christianity is a monotheistic religion as well. There is one G-d, G-d the father, G-d the son, G-d the holy spirit. It's called the Holy Trinity. Water is liquid, ice, and vapor, but it's all still water. Man is physical, mental and spiritual, but a man nonetheless.

Chaim incorrectly called Christianity a polytheistic religion recently as well. You can sit here and debate why these beliefs are silly or incorrect, but the official Christian position is that it is a monotheistic religion.
Just to clarify, when referring to the Christian god, according to Judaism, one should say god. G-d only pertains to Hashem.

Offline pennyjangle

• Master JTFer
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2009, 12:42:46 PM »

Christianity is a monotheistic religion as well. There is one G-d, G-d the father, G-d the son, G-d the holy spirit. It's called the Holy Trinity. Water is liquid, ice, and vapor, but it's all still water. Man is physical, mental and spiritual, but a man nonetheless.

Thank You! Patches  ;D  ;D ;D  I didn't know how explain it in reasonable terms.
Hasta La Vista Baby!

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Be a light in the darkness.......
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2009, 01:05:38 PM »
yes Patches, thankyou.

Christians and Jews believe in the same God, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. We learn all these things in Sunday school..while growing up, I heard the bibles stories from the Tanach too....Moses and Pharoh (that one we hear alot, especially around Passover) Noah and the Ark, Adam and Eve, Abraham and Isaac...Joseph and his brothers and that entire story of Joseph and how God used him  in Egypt....Miriam and Moses and the Red sea, the story of Job (even his wife came against him) Ruth and Naomi.....(your God will be my God, remember?)...Boaz......, oh and one of MY favorites, David and Goliah and later we hear all about his problem with Bathsheba , but He was a man after God's own heart.
Gideon......
Joshua and the battle of Jericho and they marched around the city, if I remember correctly, was it 7 times?  or ten times?  :-[
Let's not forget the Story of Ninevah and how Jonah ended up in the belly of the whale for was it 3 days?

I could go on and on...

Yes, we believe in the SAME and only ONE TRUE GOD!

SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2009, 02:03:29 PM »
Christianity is very different from Judaism... I will not go into the differences because it may hurt some people... But suffice to say if they are the same many Jews have died for no reason... A non-Jew will not be able to understand the differences because your scriptures have been altered to fit the Christian understanding of Jewish teachings....

Do not suggest that they are the same... It does nobody any good... If you believe in Torah you should convert to Judaism otherwise stick with your own religion...

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2009, 02:43:28 PM »
I don't find anything wrong with what Pennyjangle wrote.  You all agree that homosexuality is not automatic or genetic, right?  So when she wrote that becoming homosexual/gay is a choice, she was kind of agreeing with you. 

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2009, 02:50:41 PM »
Now back to the original topic i don't understand your problem .If your mothers friend wants you to become gay tell him you have no interest and to take a walk
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline pennyjangle

• Master JTFer
« Reply #61 on: December 05, 2009, 06:31:39 PM »
I don't find anything wrong with what Pennyjangle wrote.  You all agree that homosexuality is not automatic or genetic, right?  So when she wrote that becoming homosexual/gay is a choice, she was kind of agreeing with you. 

Thank You Very Much Lisa  :whew:
Hasta La Vista Baby!

Offline AsheDina

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • PSALMS 129:5 "ZION" THE Cornerstone.
« Reply #62 on: December 05, 2009, 07:59:09 PM »
Mo, I didnt have any B.F's hardly b4. I had gained weight, My Nana (Of blessed memory) wanted me to 'come to terms, with my lesbianism' she set up a dinner just to SET ME UP! I was so appalled and so hurt... I went to the bathroom, begging G-d, what do I do!! 
And, guess what... the whole situation turned around, and we started reading the psalms that were in this mans house.  DO NOT give in to this EVIL.  I know that your mom is not evil, of course, but this is a very bad thing.  You stay CLOSE to your Torah, it is the TRUTH.
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל
I endorse NO Presidential Candidates

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #63 on: December 05, 2009, 08:22:25 PM »
Now back to the original topic i don't understand your problem .If your mothers friend wants you to become gay tell him you have no interest and to take a walk
I think you guys misunderstood. I'm just pointing out how funny it was.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #64 on: December 05, 2009, 08:24:06 PM »
Mo, I didnt have any B.F's hardly b4. I had gained weight, My Nana (Of blessed memory) wanted me to 'come to terms, with my lesbianism' she set up a dinner just to SET ME UP! I was so appalled and so hurt... I went to the bathroom, begging G-d, what do I do!! 
And, guess what... the whole situation turned around, and we started reading the psalms that were in this mans house.  DO NOT give in to this EVIL.  I know that your mom is not evil, of course, but this is a very bad thing.  You stay CLOSE to your Torah, it is the TRUTH.
I was just pointing out how funny it was. My mom was laughing, also because she knows it's ridiculous too. Don't worry...there are a million things I'd do before I'd turn gay......one of them would be suicide  :::D :::D :::D

Offline IsraeliGovtAreKapos

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #65 on: December 05, 2009, 09:22:22 PM »
                                                               בס"ד

yes Patches, thankyou.

Christians and Jews believe in the same G-d, the G-d of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. We learn all these things in Sunday school..while growing up, I heard the bibles stories from The Tanach too....Moses and Pharoh (that one we hear alot, especially around Passover) Noah and the Ark, Adam and Eve, Abraham and Isaac...Joseph and his brothers and that entire story of Joseph and how G-d used him  in Egypt....Miriam and Moses and the Red sea, the story of Job (even his wife came against him) Ruth and Naomi.....(your G-d will be my G-d, remember?)...Boaz......, oh and one of MY favorites, David and Goliah and later we hear all about his problem with Bathsheba , but He was a man after G-d's own heart.
Gideon......
Joshua and the battle of Jericho and they marched around the city, if I remember correctly, was it 7 times?  or ten times?  :-[
Let's not forget the Story of Ninevah and how Jonah ended up in the belly of the whale for was it 3 days?

I could go on and on...

Yes, we believe in the SAME and only ONE TRUE G-d!

We don't (I don't want it to sound like I'm saying that there are more G-ds, no, G-D forbid, the only ONE G-D is HaShem).
Christianity is a polytheistic religion - maybe according to Christianity 3 things assemble divinity and that's one the most polytheistic principles of Christianity.
HaShem is one and He's made out of nothing. He has created anythin and we as humans are unable to understand His nautre (or essence, donno how to explain it in English).

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #66 on: December 05, 2009, 09:37:31 PM »
The G-d of the Jews isn't Jesus. Nowhere in the Torah does it discuss G-d taking a human form, living, or dying. If Christianity teaches it's the same then that's a Christian belief, and the farthest thing from Judaism.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2009, 09:43:43 PM »
                                                           בס"ד

The G-d of the Jews isn't Jesus. Nowhere in the Torah does it discuss G-d taking a human form, living, or dying. If Christianity teaches it's the same then that's a Christian belief, and the farthest thing from Judaism.

Are you talking to me? You know Jesus is nothing more than a Rasha, Mesit and Medi'ach.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #68 on: December 05, 2009, 09:45:26 PM »
                                                           בס"ד

Are you talking to me? You know Jesus is nothing more than a Rasha, Mesit and Medi'ach.
Why would I be telling that to you?

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #69 on: December 05, 2009, 09:46:29 PM »
                                                                בס"ד

בס"ד

Why would I be telling that to you?

Only askin  ::)

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #70 on: December 05, 2009, 09:46:52 PM »
I disagree with you, you disagree with me...

Please do not smite me....

:-X

SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #71 on: December 05, 2009, 10:02:51 PM »

LOL Hanna, no Jew believes that Jesus is anything more than a wicked individual. It's a ridiculous concept to believe that Jews believe in Jesus in any way, shape or form. Most charedim in Israel growing up don't even know who Jesus was, what Christmas is, or what Christianity is until they get a bit older.....

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #72 on: December 05, 2009, 10:17:05 PM »
Christmas, actually, has had alot of paganism thrown into it...... >:( He was born in the summertime I believe, not in December, that is some pagan G-d worship thing going on there...."Christians" really should celebrate Hannakuh, when it gets down to it...but I can not judge. Many "christians" that I know, over the years, have stopped celebrating "christmas" alltogether now.

our society has gotten way into commercialism and all of that, along with that.

LOL Hanna, no Jew believes that Jesus is anything more than a wicked individual. It's a ridiculous concept to believe that Jews believe in Jesus in any way, shape or form. Most charedim in Israel growing up don't even know who Jesus was, what Christmas is, or what Christianity is until they get a bit older.....
[quote author=Mo2388 link=topic=40598.msg403745#msg403745 date=126006857
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #73 on: December 06, 2009, 09:17:00 AM »
You guys, we all know the differences between Christianity and Judaism.  There's no need to bash the Christians over the head about it. 

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #74 on: December 06, 2009, 11:21:02 AM »
its ok Lisa, I have been treated much worse....lol.

That is why I was joking about the smiting...

and on occasion I say "please, do not throw rocks at me"...

I have a weird sense of humor, I know.

You guys, we all know the differences between Christianity and Judaism.  There's no need to bash the Christians over the head about it. 
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 05:28:08 PM by ~Hanna~ »
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל