Author Topic: Insights from Maseches Avoda Zara  (Read 396 times)

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
Insights from Maseches Avoda Zara
« on: December 05, 2009, 09:06:47 PM »
I was learning some gemara over shabbos and I came across some interesting things pertaining to righteous gentiles that I wanted to share as a point of interest. Unfortunately, I have a hard time remembering some of the details. If anybody wants, they are mostly from ArtScroll's intro to the masechta. It was very enriching.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Insights from Maseches Avoda Zara
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 09:39:03 PM »
Very nice... But it would be helpful if you explain what it is you learned? Or did you really learn it? Listening to the Rabbi talk doesn't necessarily mean you absorbed the information. I did some learning concerning Daf Sanhedrin 59a-b at the end of last week and it concerns some of those issues. The key to understanding what is being said {at least concerning Sanhedrin 59} is to understand what is meant by 'righteous gentile'...

According to Sanhedrin 59a a true righteous gentile who studies Torah is compared to the Kohen Gadol.... While an Idolator who studies Torah is Chaiv Mitta...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: Insights from Maseches Avoda Zara
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 09:41:19 PM »
Very nice... But it would be helpful if you explain what it is you learned? Or did you really learn it? Listening to the Rabbi talk doesn't necessarily mean you absorbed the information. I did some learning concerning Daf Sanhedrin 59a-b at the end of last week and it concerns some of those issues. The key to understanding what is being said {at least concerning Sanhedrin 59} is to understand what is meant by 'righteous gentile'...

According to Sanhedrin 59a a true righteous gentile who studies Torah is compared to the Kohen Gadol.... While an Idolator who studies Torah is Chaiv Meis...

I learned it on my own.