Author Topic: I'm seriously thinking of converting....  (Read 9282 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: I'm seriously thinking of converting....
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2010, 12:04:59 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayurveda

Indians eat with Ayurveda in mind.  It is usually vegetarian.  However, Tandori style, meat cooking is an Indian treat.

If you wish your insides worked as well as in your youth, I recommend Ayurveda routines within the Kosher diet.

There are 3 major different types of bodies; Kappa, vata, and pitta; one can be a a mixture of these three.

--------

I like to have hummus on the go, in a tupperwear container, w/ pita bread... dates, figs... juices... I am always ready to snack.  Because I do not drive, my friends have often labeled me as, "an authentic wandering Israelite", because I am prepared for a feast of kosher on the go".

Ummm.... Ariel... I dont think that web link is Kosher...

And I don't know about Ayurveda either... I just clicked that link and it showed a picture of the 'god of Ayurveda' which would be considered Avodah Zarah to a Jew...

Maybe you are not aware of this fact... We do not believe in any other god that the One True G-d of Israel...

Thank you...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline GoIsraelGo!

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Wake up America, Obama is the enemy!
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2010, 12:34:56 PM »
Mo, I have a veggie recipe for you......

1 tomato
1 zuchinni
1 onion
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/4 teaspoon of pepper
1/4 teaspoon of curry powder
2 tablespoons of olive oil

Sautee all of the above on medium heat until veggies are tender.

Thanks, Dox, I'll relay it to my mom.

Mo, give your Mom a break....you need cooking lessons so that when you are on your own, you will know how to cook for yourself.

Shalom - Dox

Offline Ari Ben-Canaan

• Master JTFer
  • "The Necromancers Could Not Stand Before Moses."
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2010, 12:44:53 PM »

Indians eat with Ayurveda in mind.  It is usually vegetarian.  However, Tandori style, meat cooking is an Indian treat.

If you wish your insides worked as well as in your youth, I recommend Ayurveda routines within the Kosher diet.

There are 3 major different types of bodies; Kappa, vata, and pitta; one can be a a mixture of these three.

--------

I like to have hummus on the go, in a tupperwear container, w/ pita bread... dates, figs... juices... I am always ready to snack.  Because I do not drive, my friends have often labeled me as, "an authentic wandering Israelite", because I am prepared for a feast of kosher on the go".

And I don't know about Ayurveda either... I just clicked that link and it showed a picture of the 'G-d of Ayurveda' which would be considered Avodah Zarah to a Jew...

Maybe you are not aware of this fact... We do not believe in any other G-d that the One True G-d of Israel...

Thank you...

Yikes!  I guess I must have glossed past there being a god of Ayurveda...  I just know about the "science" of Ayurveda.

Is it wrong of me to use food science like this?  Just eating what digests well together?  In any of the books I have read on Ayurveda there has been no mention of deities so far.

I think the idea of multiple gods to be fallacious, as there is only One G-d, and we worship Him.

Is it wrong to do yoga?

I do feng shui in my apartment, sans idols or anything like a buddha statue [I know he is not a god, but he looks like an idol], but the science of feng shui as as designing the layout of a room. - Would this be wrong as well?
"You must keep the arab under your boot or he will be at your throat" -Unknown

"When we tell the Arab, ‘Come, I want to help you and see to your needs,’ he doesn’t look at us like gentlemen. He sees weakness and then the wolf shows what he can do.” - Maimonides

“I am all peace, but when I speak, they are for war.” -Psalms 120:7

"The difference between a Jewish liberal and a Jewish conservative is that when a Jewish liberal walks out of the Holocaust Museum, he feels, "This shows why we need to have more tolerance and multiculturalism." The Jewish conservative feels, "We should have killed a lot more Nazis, and sooner."" - Philip Klein

Offline ✡ Hindu Zionist ॐ

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
  • India- Most pro-Israel country of the world!
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2010, 01:02:18 PM »

--------

And I don't know about Ayurveda either... I just clicked that link and it showed a picture of the 'G-d of Ayurveda' which would be considered Avodah Zarah to a Jew...

Maybe you are not aware of this fact... We do not believe in any other G-d that the One True G-d of Israel...

Thank you...

Yikes!  I guess I must have glossed past there being a G-d of Ayurveda...  I just know about the "science" of Ayurveda.

Is it wrong of me to use food science like this?  Just eating what digests well together?  In any of the books I have read on Ayurveda there has been no mention of deities so far.

I think the idea of multiple gods to be fallacious, as there is only One G-d, and we worship Him.

Is it wrong to do yoga?

I do feng shui in my apartment, sans idols or anything like a buddha statue [I know he is not a G-d, but he looks like an idol], but the science of feng shui as as designing the layout of a room. - Would this be wrong as well?
you can make use of ayurveda without praying to that or any deity.  In India there are religious non-idol worshipping monotheistic Sikhs who make use of ayurveda without praying to Hindu deities and without flouting their own religious norms, so guess you should be ok.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2010, 01:14:57 PM »
I have heard it is possible to do yoga without the mantras which invoke avodah zarah... But you should consult a Rabbi if you want to know what the halacha is...
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2010, 01:17:51 PM »
http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/496869/jewish/Is-Yoga-kosher.htm

Question:

Is yoga considered an idolatrous practice because it started out as a Hindu practice? What if one meditates on words of Torah or Psalms while practicing yoga?

Answer:

We've been getting this question quite a bit lately, most likely due to all the "Kosher Yoga" classes sprouting up.

The short answer is, no it is not prohibited. If it would be, the marathon, too, would be prohibited. So would wine and meat. In fact, so would any benefit from the sun, the moon, the ocean, the wind, fire and air, water and earth--all would have to be outlawed, since all of these have been either the object or device of pagan worship.

But they are all still kosher. Why? Because, as the Talmud rhetorically asks, "Because of fools, should we destroy G‑d's world?"

Meaning that G‑d put all these things here with a function and a purpose. Unlike the idols and temples erected by idolaters, they were here before Adam was created. It was the mistake of Adam's offspring to consider them autonomous beings—but that in no way changes the purpose for which G‑d made them.

The same with Yoga: When G‑d created the human being, He made innate to this creature's nature that he would be able to stretch and relax in ways that would provide him greater resilience and mastery over his own body. While the Hellenists were running marathons and the Chinese were developing martial arts, the people in India developed this art of Yoga--each people according to their particular climate and social structure. It was inevitable that each culture associated these discoveries to their beliefs--just as they had associated wine and feasting. But because of this, should we outlaw a benefit G‑d placed purposely in His world for us?

Solomon the Wise wrote, "He made everything fit for its time." Everything G‑d put in this world is necessary, nothing is extra. If the benefits of Yoga exist, it means that at some point in time people will need them—for good purposes, for the purposes for which we were created, to bring us and our world closer to our Creator and to an active connection with Him.

The same applies to those forms of meditation that can be useful in developing the mind and in relaxation. All of these must be used, stripped of their association with Hindu deities and the like, for the purpose for which they were originally placed in the world--to better serve its Creator and know Him in all our ways.

(It's worthwhile to note that the true Hindu masters recognized that there is truly only a single oneness behind all of reality. Their mistake was principally in their presentation to the common people, allowing them to be misled into worship of literally hundreds of deities. Maimonides discusses this at length in the first chapter of his Laws of Idolatry.)

In Yoga, there are a few postures and sequences that are difficult to strip of their Hindu context. I'm thinking in particular of a sequence called the "sun salute." None of these are indispensable.

In Transcendental Meditation, a commercialized hodge-podge of Hindu techniques and ideas, the initiated are assigned "secret" mantras. These are actually names of Hindu deities and are assigned according to age and gender. A Jew is prohibited from any mention of such names. But again, these can be replaced with kosher chants.

In general, any of these practices to the extreme will be detrimental. They have a place in healing, attuning and empowering the human being. But they must not be made an end in themselves. The Torah teaches us that a soul is sent into this world to act, to create change, to transform the physical reality--not to escape it. If any of these practices assists you to do so, good. But when they become a means of escape, disassociation or "transcendence" of this reality in which we have been placed, they become counter-productive--and often psychologically hazardous.

You suggested meditating on words of Torah while practicing Yoga. However, much of Yoga practice demands releasing the mind from attachment and focus, while at other times, the focus is directed toward the activity at hand. My suggestion is that you immerse your mind in Torah study before practicing Yoga, so that thoughts of Torah will be ringing around in your mind spontaneously as you practice. The Rebbe gave this advice to someone whose doctor advised him to exercise each day.

Since, as I wrote, many people are asking this question, I hope you don't mind if we post this answer for all to read. Undoubtedly, we'll get some more suggestions on kosherizing Yoga.

Rabbi Tzvi Freeman for Chabad.org

Offline syyuge

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2010, 02:04:17 PM »
In the matters of positive aspects and benefits of Yoga and Ayurveda, one should not worry about their respective deities. Only the kosher parts of the same may be judiciously accepted and applied.

Otherwise there is no end to it as even the deities of all the machines, the cars, airplanes, money, property, economics and warfare are also available.
 ;D

There are thunders and sparks in the skies, because Faraday invented the electricity.

Offline FreedomFighter08

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2010, 03:07:02 PM »
Buy some isolated Protein Powder if you're going vegetarian. You need protein for organs and muscle. Some people do get gas when taking it though.

Offline Ari Ben-Canaan

• Master JTFer
  • "The Necromancers Could Not Stand Before Moses."
« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2010, 03:47:20 PM »
Chabad to the rescue!  I had been thinking about this on my walk, I walked several miles today; I had been misinformed which days I work this week.

What I see as the value of the science of ayurveda is maintaining the proper "pH" of what you eat in groups of meals.  Like, steak and potatoes are actually a bad combination [yet another reason to not eat (cheese)burgers and fries].  In the plants I work with, if they get fed nutrients at the wrong pH they cannot metabolize effectively, and will "lock out" in a state which blocks proper food from the roots. 

Ayurveda also sizes up 3 main types of people bodies [perhaps Shem, Japheth, and Ham were the prototypes?], and I have been able to find enough likenesses to see a "pitta dosha" works for me.  I owe all of my health and being to HaShem, but I was in really horrible shape [in stomach] before I started eating better like this [numerous trips to the ER for pain, and one hospitalization: doctors have no idea what bothered my stomach, I look in GREAT health to doctors, which was frustrating].

When I DO eat food, I think about Jewish history...  7 species of Israel are always on my list... and lots of sephardic food like hummus, baba ganoush, or plain old techina and pita..  dates, figs, pomegranate juice, grapes, pita [wheat, barley], olives and olive oil...  these things make a Torah scholars stomach happy.  Almonds too!  Jordan almonds are hardly a Jordanian creation...  Eretz Yisrael!

"You must keep the arab under your boot or he will be at your throat" -Unknown

"When we tell the Arab, ‘Come, I want to help you and see to your needs,’ he doesn’t look at us like gentlemen. He sees weakness and then the wolf shows what he can do.” - Maimonides

“I am all peace, but when I speak, they are for war.” -Psalms 120:7

"The difference between a Jewish liberal and a Jewish conservative is that when a Jewish liberal walks out of the Holocaust Museum, he feels, "This shows why we need to have more tolerance and multiculturalism." The Jewish conservative feels, "We should have killed a lot more Nazis, and sooner."" - Philip Klein

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2010, 06:39:19 PM »
Buy some isolated Protein Powder if you're going vegetarian. You need protein for organs and muscle. Some people do get gas when taking it though.

The essential amino acids are contained in vegetables.   A combination of a few vegetables (as little as 2, with the right ones, namely corn and string beans) covers all the essential amino acids that cannot be made by the body.   Eaten in enough quantity and with some dairy sources of protein in the diet, there is no need for protein powder if one refrains from eating meat.

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2010, 08:30:17 PM »

The essential amino acids are contained in vegetables.   A combination of a few vegetables (as little as 2, with the right ones, namely corn and string beans) covers all the essential amino acids that cannot be made by the body.   Eaten in enough quantity and with some dairy sources of protein in the diet, there is no need for protein powder if one refrains from eating meat.

Gas is a part of the problem though.

Offline Cato

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2010, 02:42:36 AM »
Cato the Elder, On Agriculture (c. 170 BC)

It is the cabbage which surpasses all other vegetables for medical value. It may be eaten either cooked or raw; if you eat it raw, dip it into vinegar. It promotes digestion and is an excellent laxative. If you wish to drink a lot at a banquet and enjoy your dinner, eat as much raw cabbage as you wish before dinner... Cabbage can be used as a poultice on all kinds of wounds and swellings; it will cleanse all sores and heal without pain; it will soften and open boils... Headache and eye ache it heals alike... Also if you feel sick, if the spleen is swollen, if the heart is painful, or the liver - in a word, it will cure all internal organs... And still further, if you save the urine of a person who eats a lot of cabbage, heat it, and bathe the patient in it... Also, if babies are bathed in this urine they will never be weakly

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2010, 07:09:23 AM »

Gas is a part of the problem though.

Oh. part of which problem?  I wasn't paying attention...