Author Topic: Have you ever heard of a drink "Green River" located in Harlem?  (Read 1835 times)

Offline Ulli

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Have you ever heard of a drink "Green River" located in Harlem?
« on: January 28, 2010, 01:24:06 PM »
I have read, that the black people in Harlem drink a beverage called Green River. They call it this way, because it makes the lips green when they drink it. Is this true?
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
Re: Have you ever heard of a drink "Green River" located in Harlem?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 01:58:39 PM »
I have read, that the black people in Harlem drink a beverage called Green River. They call it this way, because it makes the lips green when they drink it. Is this true?
http://www.beveragesdirect.com/detail-616-Green_River_Soda_24_Pack_Glass.asp
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 02:04:04 PM »
I used to live in the Upper West side right below Harlem and I never heard of it. 

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 02:13:22 PM »
http://www.beveragesdirect.com/detail-616-Green_River_Soda_24_Pack_Glass.asp

No, I don't think this is the drink. I read the blacks mix it in their basements on their own. In the article is written, that it is very toxic.

Here is the article (sorry in German)

http://www.schriftenmission.de/fileadmin/usergroups/redakteur/ebooks/101/Alkoholismus.pdf
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 02:14:06 PM »
I used to live in the Upper West side right below Harlem and I never heard of it. 

Perhaps they mix it secretly.

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 02:15:10 PM »
On the link you provided, it says it is made in Chicago, not Harlem.

Maybe it used to be more popular and was made in many places?

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 02:20:38 PM »

Die Schwarzen in Harlem und Assoziale in den amerikanischen
Großstädten brauen sich „Green River“. Dieses Getränk
wird bereitet vom alkoholhaltigen „after shave Lotion“ (Rasier
Lotion), das mit einem Verdünnungsmittel, wie es die Maler zum
Verdünnen der Farbe gebrauchen, vermischt wird. Diese giftige
Brühe färbt die Lippen grün, daher der Name „Green River“ (grüner
Fluß).

The blacks in Harlem and anti-social people in the American big cities brew "Green River". This beverage is made from alcoholic „after shave Lotion“, that is mixed with a thinning  agent, like painters use it for thinning their colours. This toxic brew colours the lips green, because of this it is called "Green River".

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 02:21:55 PM »

Yes Chicago is not mentioned verbatim, but in the article is written, that it is brewed it in "the big cities"

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 02:26:35 PM »
Ulli,

What country are you from?  You speak English really well!

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 02:28:18 PM »
Ulli,

What country are you from?  You speak English really well!

I am from Germany.

P.S. Thank you for your compliment. I learned English so well with Chaim's ask jtf and his English videos as well with this forum.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 02:37:11 PM by Ulli »

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2010, 02:36:24 PM »
How did you learn English so well?

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2010, 02:37:43 PM »
How did you learn English so well?

P.S. Thank you for your compliment.

I learned English so well with Chaim's ask jtf and his English videos as well with this forum.

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2010, 02:44:07 PM »
Really?  I always hit a stumbling block when I am trying to learn a new language. I learned French in HS and Spanish in College.  I had many Latino friends in NYC so speaking Spanish with fluency I was able to do.  But I never felt that I could learn by watching Spanish Soap operas which everyone told me to do. I tried but I never felt I learned like this.

I have had many friends that said they learned English so well by watching American TV and movies.  I wish I had the talent for this Ulli

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2010, 02:52:58 PM »
Really?  I always hit a stumbling block when I am trying to learn a new language. I learned French in HS and Spanish in College.  I had many Latino friends in NYC so speaking Spanish with fluency I was able to do.  But I never felt that I could learn by watching Spanish Soap operas which everyone told me to do. I tried but I never felt I learned like this.

I have had many friends that said they learned English so well by watching American TV and movies.  I wish I had the talent for this Ulli

I learned some English in school before. But Chaim has a gift, that he speaks so clear. I already leaned some Hebrew words from the Hebrew videos, that Dan ben Noah subtitled.

With most English movies or detective stories I have problems. It is for me very difficult to understand what the protagonists there say. If I rewind the movie and listen to the difficult parts again I understand it in the end. But I have to be very focused. On the other hand if Chaim speaks, I get it the first time easily.

If I use headphones English movies are a little bit easier for me.

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2010, 02:58:38 PM »
Yeah, that is true, Chaim enunciates his words clearly.  But still, your written English is really superior and you don't seem to miss the nuabces of English.  When I lived in NYC, my Spanish was a lot better.  Now that I moved away, it's not as good.  I start a job in July where I am supposed to know Spanish and I am a little worried.  I probably need to take a review course or something.  Where I went to medical school, everyone speaks English.  And now in my job, the majority of people are either from the Middle East (not Israel) or India

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2010, 03:17:09 PM »
Yeah, that is true, Chaim enunciates his words clearly.  But still, your written English is really superior and you don't seem to miss the nuabces of English.  When I lived in NYC, my Spanish was a lot better.  Now that I moved away, it's not as good.  I start a job in July where I am supposed to know Spanish and I am a little worried.  I probably need to take a review course or something.  Where I went to medical school, everyone speaks English.  And now in my job, the majority of people are either from the Middle East (not Israel) or India

Typos? Nuances or Nuabces?

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2010, 03:19:23 PM »
lol Nuances  :dance:

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2010, 03:20:42 PM »
Is there a word "Nuabces"?

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2010, 03:21:56 PM »
No you were right, I made a typo