Author Topic: The Mitzvot of Mishpatim  (Read 1779 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
The Mitzvot of Mishpatim
« on: February 19, 2010, 02:38:00 PM »
The reason Mishpatim occurs right after Yitro {and connected to it through the Vav/And} is to teach us that just as the Ten Utterances at Mount Sinai came from Hashem, so too do the minutia of the laws/mishpatim come from Hashem. It is in this Parasha we read the law concerning 'an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, a burn for a burn, etc.'. The  concept of Middah Keneged Middah, or measure for measure proves to us that for every act against Hashem, such as kidnapping, there will be a punishment coming from Hashem. The punishment may be meted out in this world {which I hope for myself} or it may be meted out in the world to come. It is better that our transgressions are punished in this world, through suffering and pain, than to have the punishment come to us in the world to come.

Mishpatim : Shemot 21
1. And these are the ordinances that you shall set before them.

14. But if a man plots deliberately against his friend to slay him with cunning, [even] from My altar you shall take him to die.
15. And one who strikes his father or his mother shall surely be put to death.
16. And whoever kidnaps a man, and he is found in his possession, shall surely be put to death.
17. And one who curses his father or his mother shall surely be put to death.

23. But if there is a fatality, you shall give a life for a life,
24. an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, a hand for a hand, a foot for a foot,
25. a burn for a burn, a wound for a wound, a bruise for a bruise.

Mishpatim : Shemot 22
1. If, while breaking in, the thief is discovered, and he is struck and dies, [it is as if] he has no blood.
2. If the sun shone upon him, [it is as if] he has blood; he shall surely pay. If he has no [money], he shall be sold for his theft.
3. If the stolen article is found in his possession whether a bull, a donkey, or a lamb live ones he shall pay twofold.

15. If a man seduces a virgin who is not betrothed and lies with her, he shall provide her with a marriage contract as a wife.
16. If her father refuses to give her to him [in marriage], he shall weigh out money according to the dowry of the virgins.
17. You shall not allow a sorceress to live.
18. Whoever lies [carnally] with an animal shall surely be put to death.
19. He who slaughters [a sacrifice] to the gods shall be destroyed, except to the Lord alone.
20. And you shall not mistreat a stranger, nor shall you oppress him, for you were strangers in the land of Egypt.
21. You shall not oppress any widow or orphan.
22. If you oppress him, [beware,] for if he cries out to Me, I will surely hear his cry.
23. My wrath will be kindled, and I will slay you with the sword, and your wives will be widows and your children orphans.

30. And you shall be holy people to Me, and flesh torn in the field you shall not eat; you shall throw it to the dog.

Mishpatim : Shemot 23
1. You shall not accept a false report; do not place your hand with a wicked person to be a false witness.
2. You shall not follow the majority for evil, and you shall not respond concerning a lawsuit to follow many to pervert [justice].
3. Neither shall you glorify a poor man in his lawsuit.
4. If you come upon your enemy's bull or his stray donkey, you shall surely return it to him.
5. If you see your enemy's donkey lying under its burden would you refrain from helping him? You shall surely help along with him.

9. And you shall not oppress a stranger, for you know the feelings of the stranger, since you were strangers in the land of Egypt.

12. Six days you may do your work, but on the seventh day you shall rest, in order that your ox and your donkey shall rest, and your maidservant's son and the stranger shall be refreshed.
13. Concerning all that I have said to you you shall beware, and the name of the gods of others you shall not mention; it shall not be heard through your mouth.

31. And I will make your boundary from the Red Sea to the sea of the Philistines, and from the desert to the river, for I will deliver the inhabitants of the land into your hands, and you shall drive them out from before you.
32. You shall not form a covenant for them or for their gods.

By the way, Mishpatim is my birthday Parasha and I have studied it closely.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14