Author Topic: Washing Tzitzit  (Read 5321 times)

Moshe92

Washing Tzitzit
« on: February 16, 2010, 03:51:37 PM »
How do most people here wash tzitzit? Do you put it in a bag and then put it in the washing machine? I don't know much about things like that because I'm becoming more observant and my family isn't religious.

Offline Mishmaat

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate JTFer
  • !עם ישראל חי
Re: Washing Tzitzit
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 04:00:56 PM »
Interesting question. I hand wash mine and let them hang dry.

Moshe92

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 04:28:52 PM »
That also sounds like a good idea, Mishmaat.

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 05:05:47 PM »
Interesting question. I hand wash mine and let them hang dry.

Same here.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 05:41:28 PM »
I wear them till they are too dirty and then buy a couple of new pair...

It is surely difficult to wash them... I have not asked how my Rabbis take care of theirs. I may just ask...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Spectator

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 02:11:17 AM »
I avoid washing my tzitzit in washing mashine because it can tear or mess the fringes and I am not sure if such tzitzit is kosher. So I also prefer hand washing.

My advice is to put them in a wash tub, fill it with water, and a handful of washing powder and let it soak for several hours. It really easy to wash the tzitzit after that.
Do not put your trust in princes, nor in a son of man, in whom there is no help (Psalms 146:3)

Offline Lubab

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 07:00:09 PM »
If you're in the NY area most dry-cleaners know how to deal with it.
"It is not upon you to finish the work, nor are you free to desist from it." Rabbi Tarfon, Pirkei Avot.

Moshe92

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 07:37:22 PM »
If you're in the NY area most dry-cleaners know how to deal with it.

Thanks for the advice, but I'm in the Boston area. I think washing by hand is the best idea.

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 05:29:41 PM »
Please dont them get too dirty because it gives a bad impression to people that we are not clean.  I see many Hasids with filthy tzitzit and it isn't good. 

I grew up in a very orthodox religious neighborhood and sometimes, it seems like the Orthodox are not the cleanest or most hygienic. 

« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 05:45:17 PM by JTFenthusiast2 »

Offline Raulmarrio2000

• Master JTFer
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 08:51:49 AM »

It is surely difficult to wash them... I have not asked how my Rabbis take care of theirs. I may just ask...

And what do you do with the older pair? I have heard that it is forbidden to throw away tzitzit. If you have a Rav, why didn't you consult him in the first place?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 11:18:14 AM »

And what do you do with the older pair? I have heard that it is forbidden to throw away tzitzit. If you have a Rav, why didn't you consult him in the first place?

I have not thrown them away... I just keep the old ones in a drawer. I just bought three new TzitTzits last Sunday.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14