Author Topic: South Carolina’s Andre Bauer Takes Heat Over Welfare Remarks  (Read 1543 times)

Offline Confederate Kahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
South Carolina’s Andre Bauer Takes Heat Over Welfare Remarks
« on: February 02, 2010, 06:42:39 PM »
http://www.personalliberty.com/news/south-carolinas-andre-bauer-takes-heat-over-welfare-remarks-19579635/

South Carolina’s lieutenant governor Andre Bauer, a Republican, has been heavily criticized for his remarks in which he compared welfare recipients to stray animals and called on the state to stop providing welfare services to them.

At a town hall meeting last week, Bauer said, “My grandmother was not a highly educated woman, but she told me as a small child to quit feeding stray animals. You know why? Because they breed. You’re facilitating the problem if you give an animal or a person ample food supply. They will reproduce, especially ones that don’t think too much further than that. And so what you’ve got to do is you’ve got to curtail that type of behavior. They don’t know any better.” (Reported by Greenville News)

Democratic State Senator Vincent Sheheen has called the remarks "immoral," and said he felt "disgusted."

"They show an unbelievable lack of compassion toward the unemployed workers in our state who are hurting during these hard times," Sheheen stated.

As the criticism mounted, the lieutenant governor took to the airwaves to salvage his image. In an interview with CNN, he stated that he regretted his comments, saying "I wish I had used a different metaphor."

However, Bauer went on to say that he would like to see "the culture of dependency" created by government assistance come to an end, as it takes away the incentive to be responsible.

"If some of these people who are currently on welfare were put to work you wouldn’t have an immigration problem," he said, quoted by the news source. "The welfare system is so entrenched that nobody wants to do manual labor jobs."

Bauer is running for governor to replace the incumbent Mark Sanford who has been involved in a sex scandal.
Chad M ~ Your rebel against white guilt

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: South Carolina’s Andre Bauer Takes Heat Over Welfare Remarks
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 06:44:52 PM »
Bauer should stick to his guns!! What he said is 100% correct.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Be a light in the darkness.......
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 06:46:52 PM »
No, what he said was not 100% correct, he is lumping all recipients into the same kettle.

I don't know what they are doing there, but in my state, you have to be looking for work if you get welfare, unless you have been waived for other legitimate reasons.

Voch Rehab can't even do it's job...that is a total waste of taxpayer's money.

I don't know what they are doing out there, but welfare has been reformed alot out here.

The people that NEED the help are the ones who have a hard time getting it, now.

What jobs? the illegals all have the jobs.

If the illegal immigrants were sent back to where they came from, there would actually be jobs.
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 06:55:53 PM »
The employers love the fact that they can get illegals in to flood the employment market. It helps make  any upward pressures on wages an impossibility.  In parts of the country where minimum wage jobs are a big part of the picture illegals flooding the job market can cause real havoc.

Offline rhayat1

• Full JTFer
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 06:58:30 PM »
I think the analogy is a correct one even if it doesn't apply to all welfare recipients.  The same principle applies to foreign aid to places like Africa; the more you feed them, the more they breed.  The more they breed, the more you must feed them and so on.

Also, I don't think Sheheen has any right to speak of "compassion" or "morality" since all that welfare money is stolen from other people.  If it's compassion he wants, let him set up a VOLUNTARY fund to help the needy and let him be the first to contribute to it.  This is what real leaders do.  Stealing from Reuven to give to Shim'on is not "compassion" nor is it "moral".

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 07:04:04 PM »
No, what he said was not 100% correct, he is lumping all recipients into the same kettle.

I don't know what they are doing there, but in my state, you have to be looking for work if you get welfare, unless you have been waived for other legitimate reasons.

Voch Rehab can't even do it's job...that is a total waste of taxpayer's money.

I don't know what they are doing out there, but welfare has been reformed alot out here.

The people that NEED the help are the ones who have a hard time getting it, now.

What jobs? the illegals all have the jobs.

If the illegal immigrants were sent back to where they came from, there would actually be jobs.
Welfare policies are much better today then they were in the past... In fact it can almost be called workfare. What Bauer say is correct however.... Years ago before welfare reform states like New York became welfare states because of lack of restrictions. I think that Bauer just doesn't want a return to the policies of the past.

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Be a light in the darkness.......
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 07:05:02 PM »
Well, he needs to stop insulting people.
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל