Author Topic: I am still unwell  (Read 2146 times)

Offline ✡ Hindu Zionist ॐ

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
  • India- Most pro-Israel country of the world!
Re: I am still unwell
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2010, 01:48:30 PM »
Wish you a speedy recovery.

@muman, is that the Asherah pole used as medical symbol nowdays?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2010, 01:55:51 PM »
Wish you a speedy recovery.

@muman, is that the Asherah pole used as medical symbol nowdays?

Actually some people say that it is...

http://www.aish.com/ci/sam/48944191.html
Moses is noted for one particularly spectacular foray into practical healing: When poisonous snakes attacked the Jews in the desert, God instructed Moses to fashion a special healing instrument: a pole topped with the form of a copper snake. When the pole was held aloft, those who had been afflicted by a snakebite would gaze on the serpentine image and be cured. (Numbers 21:6-10) This was the forerunner of the caduceus, the snake-entwined rod which is today the emblem of the medical profession.

http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/935487/jewish/Laws-of-Doctors-amp-Healing.htm

http://torahsearch.com/page.cfm/1430
This is the very point. The cure DOES NOT come from the snake. The cure comes from our Father in Heaven.

Rav Shlomo Freifeld, z"l, once commented: It is significant that the universal symbol of the medical profession today is the caduceus ? the winged staff with two inter-twined snakes. It comes from this week's parsha: "They shall gaze at the copper snake and live."

Why did the medical profession pick this very symbol? Perhaps because at one time, the medical profession realized that the proper way to view doctors are as agents of the Almighty. One cannot get well without a good doctor and one needs a good doctor ? one who has the merit to administer the proper care and treatment. But the doctor is merely an agent.

Just as everyone realizes that it is not the scalpel that removes the malignancy, but rather it is the surgeon who handles the scalpel, so too we must realize it is not the doctor who brings life, but it is the Master of the World who is using the doctor as his holy agent.

That is why this is THE appropriate symbol of the medical profession. We need this awareness today even more than they needed it then. Today, medicine is so advanced and doctors can do so much that we must always bear in mind that we are looking at the copper serpent. Healing will only occur if we subjugate ourselves to our Father in Heaven.

That is why, of all things, the Almighty took the source of the problem and made it into the source of the cure. This teaches us for then and for all generations "I put to death and I bring life. I struck down and I will heal..." [Devorim 32:39]. It is the Almighty who gives the 'klap' and hopefully it is the Almighty who will send the cure, speedily.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline AsheDina

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • PSALMS 129:5 "ZION" THE Cornerstone.
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2010, 03:20:43 PM »
The beauty of the Copper snake is not that it has any magic power of its own to heal people. Its meaning is that we are to look up at it and remember Hashem. I have been noticing this concerning other aspects, including the beauty of mountains. I related this idea on the day of my fathers funeral that we look to mountains to remind us to look upward toward heaven and beseech Hashem for all our needs. This idea also comes through in the episode I alluded to a week ago, when Moses, Aaron and Hur stood on the hill and Moses held his staff over his head, and the Israelites became victorious, when his arms tired and they fell the Israelites fell back... The secret is that when Moses arms reached skyward the Israelites were reminded to look upward toward Hashem...

I agree, but this nation has gotten SO FAR away from its Judao roots, that it does not even know WHAT the symbol means.  Like it is a hidden thing. Sad.  While this nation may be set on Christian values, I 100% believe that had it not blessed the Jewish people, it would have been nothing.  I am NOT saying this out of some 'superiority'  it is what it is.
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל
I endorse NO Presidential Candidates

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2010, 05:16:22 PM »
Sorry to hear you are still not feeling well and now that David is also under the weather. I was just remarking to someone the other day how the cold season has been a good one with not many people walking around sick. I guess I spoke too soon. Be sure you both get plenty of rest thats the best thing. 
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years