Author Topic: Dad accused in 'honor killing' will not face death penalty  (Read 1655 times)

Offline Confederate Kahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
Dad accused in 'honor killing' will not face death penalty
« on: February 21, 2010, 10:51:04 PM »
http://www.azcentral.com/community/glendale/articles/2010/02/19/20100219honor-killing.html

A Glendale man accused of slaying his daughter in an "honor killing" will not face the death penalty.

After sparring with the suspect's defense attorney over its death penalty review process, the Maricopa County Attorney's Office has said it will not seek death for Faleh Almaleki, 49.

The Iraqi immigrant is accused of slaying his daughter, 20-year-old Noor Almaleki, for being "too Westernized."

Police say he used his Jeep Cherokee to run down his daughter and another woman in a Peoria parking lot Oct. 20. Noor Almaleki later died of her injuries.

Almaleki is charged with first-degree murder, aggravated assault and two counts of leaving the scene of a serious accident. He has pleaded not guilty to all charges.

The decision not to seek the death penalty comes after Almaleki's attorney, Billy Little, a public defender, asked a judge to take special precautions to ensure the County Attorney's Office wouldn't wrongly seek the death penalty because Almaleki is a Muslim.

Little requested that the office make public the process it uses to determine whether to seek capital punishment.

"An open process provides some level of assurance that there is no appearance that a Christian is seeking to execute a Muslim for racial, political, religious or cultural beliefs," Little wrote, referring to County Attorney Andrew Thomas' Christian faith.

Laura Reckart, a county prosecutor, responded that Little's concern about the "supposed bias" of the office's death penalty review process was "without legitimate factual or legal basis."

She wrote that the state can seek the death penalty for any person convicted of first-degree murder if it can prove the existence of at least one aggravating factor, not because of religion.

However, the debate stopped there. On Tuesday, Reckart filed a motion indicating prosecutors would not seek the death penalty.

Mike Scerbo, a spokesman for the County Attorney's Office, issued the following statement Friday:

"The defendant is charged with first degree murder and, if convicted, will spend the rest of his life in prison. As is in all first degree murder cases, the decision on whether to seek the death penalty is made on a case by case basis. Cultural considerations played no part in the decision not to seek the death penalty."

Prosecutors said Almaleki has admitted killing his daughter because she disgraced the family by not following traditional Iraqi or Muslim values.

They liken the case to honor killings that occur in the Middle East, Africa and other parts of the world. In tribal societies where the practice occurs, male family members feel they must kill a rebellious female relative who shames them by not adhering to traditional values.

Noor Almaleki had reportedly married a man in Iraq and returned to Arizona to live with a boyfriend and his mother in Surprise, police said.
Chad M ~ Your rebel against white guilt

Offline freedomannie

• Full JTFer
Re: Dad accused in 'honor killing' will not face death penalty
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 07:06:20 PM »
wow why does this NOT surprise me!  ::) These animals are so sick and yet we want to slap their hands and say ohhhh your life is so much more than the one you took. This was no accident...it was cruel and barberic! he is a sick freak like all of these brainless idiots serving this religion of hate, Islam!  >:(
If we dont stop this now it will only get worse and they will have people thinking they have the right to impose and execute their sick way of life on the rest of the civilized world! :thumbsdown:
I am in love with Light as it has brought the curtains back from the darkness...i will always be free with the truth i now know and my heart is forever changed...I thank G-d for the light! <3 Always