Author Topic: Married women covering their heads  (Read 3190 times)

Moshe92

Married women covering their heads
« on: February 22, 2010, 08:49:56 PM »
Do most authorities agree that married women should cover their heads, or is there a dispute on this issue?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Married women covering their heads
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 11:47:15 PM »
Do most authorities agree that married women should cover their heads, or is there a dispute on this issue?

I had this discussion with my fathers wife when I was sitting shiva with her last month.

I found the following sites which discuss this issue:

http://www.yoatzot.org/question.php?id=5751

Hair covering sources

I am baal teshuva and I just got married at the end of October. My husband wanted me to cover my hair, and so I did...without any knowledge of it or understanding of it. I am starting not to like it very much because I am feeling like it takes away from my self esteem. Please tell me EXACTLY where I can find it in the torah. Thank you.,

Dear questioner,

Thank you for your question.

The basis for married women's headcovering in the Torah is that the Sotah is forced to uncover her hair (Bemidbar 5:18), from which we may deduce that married Jewish women kept their hair covered.  This law is further discussed in the Mishna and Talmud.

Although halacha obligates married Jewish women to cover their hair, there is a range of opinions on how much hair needs be covered and how.  We urge you to inform yourself about this halacha and the many different ways of adhering to it.  Being informed can help you find a way to observe this mitzvah that is consonant with your sense of self.

To this end, we recommend that you read a book called Hide and Seek published by Urim Publications. It is a collection of essays, primarily by women, on haircovering, with a halachic summary in the introduction.  For further reading, see Responsa on Contemporary Jewish Women's Issues by Rav Yehuda Henkin, our rabbinic supervisor, published by Ktav, chapters 16-17.

This internet service does not preclude, override or replace the psak of any rabbinical authority. It is the responsibility of the questioner to inform us of any previous consultation or ruling. As even slight variation in circumstances may have Halachic consequences, views expressed concerning one case may not be applied to other, seemingly similar cases.

And here is the Ask the Rabbi site AskMoses discussing hair issues:

http://www.askmoses.com/en/article/235,2183295/What-is-the-mystical-significance-of-women-covering-their-hair.html#articlepage

What is the mystical significance of women covering their hair?

Preface: in addition to adding a mystical dimension to the Halachah of covering the hair, this article will also answer three questions: 1) Why is a wig adequate (and often preferred) if it looks pretty? 2) Why don't single women cover their hair? 3) Why do divorced women cover their hair?

Hair

A person is comprised of matter, and the energy that gives it life; otherwise known as body and soul.

This energy is more evident in, and connected to, certain clusters of the matter, and less in/to others. For example, the energy/matter ratio in the brain is extremely high, and thus even a tiny defect in the matter of the brain can cause tremendous damage to the energy flow.

Hair contains the lowest energy/matter ratio. That is why one can completely severe the hair all the way to the scalp (and beyond) with experiencing no (or minimal) pain.

There is energy in the hair and that is why it grows; but the energy is at a minimum.

Men and Women

Men and women differ in their energy levels.

Men are created with an abundance of untamed energy, and this energy must be channeled or contained. Left unguided, men (and their impulses) often wreak havoc. This is the reason for much of the aggressive, violent, and dominant nature so natural to men.

The man’s mind runs wild, his heart beats in a beastly fashion, and he gravitates towards forceful sports/activities. There is an obvious energy overdose.

Women, on the other hand, are created with a perfect balance of energy, and this energy must be nurtured and preserved. On their own and intuitively, women are more sensitive, subdued, and at ease.

The woman’s mind thinks practically, her heart beats with compassion, and she seeks serene and productive hobbies/activities. There is an evident energy/matter harmony.

Challenging and Channeling

Both men and women have their own unique challenges. The challenge of the man is not to let his energy run wild, and the challenge of the woman is not to let her energy run dry.

Whereas men need to reach perfection, women need to maintain it.1

Thus, the lack of energy in hair is actually a positive expression for men but could be a negative experience for women. In women the hair contains a reduced amount of an already perfect dose of energy, thus reducing it to a dangerously low level.

Although the energy we speak of has physical manifestations and evident consequences, it is essentially a spiritual energy with much of its functionality and consequences invisible to the naked eye. And it is particularly this spirituality that we must be concerned about.

Patching the Leak

When the spiritual energy is reduced to a minimum the potential for negativity and unholiness grows vastly. The fact that a woman’s hair can be so seductive is merely one, apparent, consequence of this drop in energy level. More importantly is the fact that the spiritual forces of darkness, the Kelipah, seek to feed off that type of weakened/darkened energy.

By covering her hair the woman is sealing that leak; not only preventing the spiritual energy from flowing to the wrong places, but (perhaps more importantly) maintaining it for herself. The Zohar2 explains that by covering her hair the woman brings tremendous blessings to herself and her family.

Additionally, she is reminding herself of the importance to maintain her already perfect energy. Whereas a man covers his hair (with a Kipah) to remind him of what is above, a woman covers her hair to remind her of what is within.

Kerchief or Wig

So long as the hair covering accomplishes its purpose of concealing the matter to protect the energy it really doesn’t make a difference what type of covering it is.

Some people prefer a kerchief because it is less attractive and therefore less likely to be seductive. On the other hand, a kerchief is not always completely concealing. Some people therefore prefer the wig because it is completely concealing and does not slide back or move around. As for the fact that it can be very attractive, there is a difference between attractive and seductive. While a woman may not be seductive she sure may look attractive.

More importantly, as beautiful and natural as a wig may be it is still "synthetic", because it is no longer connected to the energy source. It thus poses none of the above spiritual threats, and it functions as a wholesome protector of the woman’s authentic hair and spiritual energy.

Single and Married

This low level of spiritual energy, however, doesn’t become a problem until the woman is married.

As long as she is single her life is geared primarily towards receiving rather than distributing. During these years she is absorbing, being nurtured, and educated, and her energies remain hers.

Once a person gets married and shifts modes to that of giver; becoming a spouse, parent, nurturer, educator, and provider etc, the energy she posses shifts into distribution mode constantly looking for outlets to give.

From this moment on3 giving becomes a prominent part of her identity, and she must be very sensitive about what type of spiritual energy is going where.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 11:53:30 PM by muman613 »
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 11:54:15 PM »
This article also covers the issue:

Hair Covering for Married Women
By Rabbi David Sedley

Obligation

The Mishnah (Kesuvos chapter 7) states that a woman can be divorced and forfeits her Kesuba (divorce settlement) if she violates either Das Moshe (religion of Moshe) or Das Yehudis (religion of Yehudis – it is not clear whether Yehudis here refers to a specific woman or the conduct of Jewish (Yehudi) women in general).

Das Moshe refers to Torah commandments, and includes such things as if a wife feeds her husband or children non kosher food, not keeping the laws of family purity, or making vows and not keeping them. Das Yehudis refers to laws of modesty based on convention (and enforced with rabbinic rulings). The Mishnah includes such things going out with uncovered hair, spinning in the market place and flirting with men in this category.

The Talmud there (72a) challenges the Mishnah (which states that women’s hair covering is a Rabbinic law), and claims that the prohibition of women going outside with their hair uncovered is a Torah law. It is learned from the verse “The Cohen shall uncover the woman’s hair” (Bamidbar 5: 18). The Talmud resolves this apparent contradiction by stating that the Torah only requires a minimal, symbolic hair covering (she may wear a basket on her head), whereas the Rabbinic law requires her to cover her hair entirely.

This law is brought as normative Halachah by Rambam (Hilchos Issurei Biah 21: 17) and the Shulchan Aruch (Even HaEzer 21: 2): Jewish women should not go bareheaded in the marketplace.

Later (ibid. 115: 4) the Shulchan Aruch states: These are the acts that violate Das Yehudis: Going into the marketplace, an open thoroughfare or a crowded square bareheaded, without a scarf such as all other women wear, even if her hair is covered by a kalta (small scarf with holes in it).

There is discussion amongst the commentators as to whether this prohibition applies also to unmarried women or divorced or widowed women. The consensus seems to be that it does not apply to unmarried women, and there are lenient opinions as to divorced or widowed women (see for example Igros Moshe Even HaEzer vol. 1. 57 and vol. 4 32: 4).

Covering Hair inside the Home

Regarding the requirement for a woman to cover her hair inside the home, the Talmud (Yoma 47a) praises Kimchis, who merited to have seven sons who were all High Priests in the Temple. This was in the merit of never uncovering her hair even in her own home. All halachic authorities stress that it is correct and modest for a woman to cover her hair in her own home, but most concede that it is not a binding halachah (see for example Igros Moshe Even HaEzer vol. 1. 58).

Leaving Some Hair Uncovered

Similarly, although it is the correct thing for a woman to cover all of her hair, the consensus seems to be that technically it is permitted to show up to one tefach of hair (ibid. see also, Magen Avraham Orech Chaim 75: 2 who states that based on the Zohar it is forbidden for any of her hair to show, and that this is the appropriate custom).

In a Place Where Most Women Do Not Cover Their Hair

Nowadays, many women do not cover their hair, even outside the home. This has two possible implications on halachah.

According to some opinions, because many women do not cover their hair a man is not obligated to divorce his wife if she refuses to cover her hair, and she does not forfeit her Kesuba (Igros Moshe vol. 1. 114. But see Yabia Omer vol. 3, Even HaEzer 21 who is stringent about this).

There may also be another leniency. It is forbidden for a man to pray or recite a blessing in the presence of erva (a part of a woman’s body which is considered licentious or is normally covered). The Aruch Hashulchan (Orech Chaim 75: 8) says that even though it is forbidden for a woman to go outside without her hair covered, since many women do so, it is no longer considered erva regarding prayer, and it is permitted to pray and say blessings in the presence of a woman with her hair uncovered (although it is forbidden to look at her while praying or saying the blessing). However, the Mishna Brura (75: 10) strongly disagrees and forbids any blessing or prayers to be said in the presence of a married woman with her hair uncovered. This applies even to a husband in his own home if his wife has not fully covered her hair.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 06:30:27 AM »

I'm pretty sure there's no dispute, but there are different types of covering that different women prefer.  There is possibly a question over whether the obligation is deoraissa or derabanan, but the obligation I don't think anyone argues against (to my limited knowledge).   Interestingly the practice fell to disuse to such an extent in Europe that even wives of prominent and well-known gedolim did not cover their hair.  But nobody ever claimed that the halacha allowed that.   The Chofetz Chaim is known to have exhorted his congregants' wives to cover their hair and stop neglecting the practice.

Offline Novakovic

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 09:03:45 AM »
I have a question about the Jewish laws. Is a Jew permitted to divorce according to Jewish rules?

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 09:11:48 AM »
I have a question about the Jewish laws. Is a Jew permitted to divorce according to Jewish rules?

Yes, that is permitted.