Author Topic: On a lighter note:  (Read 913 times)

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
On a lighter note:
« on: May 24, 2010, 07:58:29 PM »
If anyone wants to see a video showing the sentient nature of animals, then watch this touching (brief)film:

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
Re: On a lighter note:
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 08:10:17 PM »
How about Knut the polar bear who was hand reared in the Berlin Zoo by his late keeper Thomas Dorflein, who suddently died of a heart attack at a young age.  The audio on this video has been disabled.

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 08:55:18 PM »
How about Knut the polar bear who was hand reared in the Berlin Zoo by his late keeper Thomas Dorflein, who suddently died of a heart attack at a young age.  The audio on this video has been disabled.

So beautiful, I love animals.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 09:03:26 PM »
I didn't know Knut had died. Rest in peace, Knut!

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 09:28:16 PM »

No no no no no!  Knut is very much alive and well.  His keeper Thomas Dorflein, who cared for him from when he was a 1 pound cub rejected by his mother, died suddenly of a heart attack I think last year, or in 2008.  I found it sad because Thomas seemed to love Knut, and vice versa.  I've seen just about every photo and video on the internet of those two.  Knut would always suck on Thomas's hand and make purring noises. 

R.I.P. Thomas. 

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 09:32:47 PM »

No no no no no!  Knut is very much alive and well.  His keeper Thomas Dorflein, who cared for him from when he was a 1 pound cub rejected by his mother, died suddenly of a heart attack I think last year, or in 2008.  I found it sad because Thomas seemed to love Knut, and vice versa.  I've seen just about every photo and video on the internet of those two.  Knut would always suck on Thomas's hand and make purring noises. 

R.I.P. Thomas. 

That's really sad. I'm glad Knut is alive but I'm really sad the person he shared such a special bond with is gone. I admire people who can work with animals like that.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 09:54:46 PM »
Yes it was very sad that Dorflein died.  He was only in his mod-forties.  And he really seemed to love that bear.  Did you know that he moved into the zoo for at least three months to take care of Knut and feed him round the clock?  There used to be German Knut that posted videos of Knut and Thomas on German tv.  There was one where Dorflein was resting on a bed in his little apartment at the zoo.  Then it showed a chubby Knut trying to squeeze his cute fat polar bear belly through the window from outside.  He then climbed on top of Thomas and began sucking on his hand.  Thomas then crooned to him and pet him, while dozing off.  It was so adorable. 

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 12:00:04 AM »
It's amazing that a basically wild animal like that can form such a bond with someone. I liked the picture of where Knut was licking him. Grown up Polar bears are rather scary though.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 12:10:34 AM »
I have heard it said that animals exhibit very deep emotions. These emotions can form a bond between man and animal. I know that I feel close to my cats, and sometimes I feel I can communicate with the squirells and the birds. But there is also the phenomenon of Anthromorphism which is attributing human properties to something because we see things human in things which are not human.

I am sure that many animals posses great intellect and exhibit very close emotional connections. I recall that King David wrote the Perek Shirah which relates that every creature which Hashem created sings its own particular praises to him:

http://www.artscroll.com/Products/PSHH.html
Description:

Attributed to King David, Perek Shirah is recited every day by more and more people - but never has it been presented as beautifully and clearly as in this magnificent book.

In Perek Shirah, all components of Creation - natural phenomena, animals, birds, fish - sing their own praises of their Maker. In this beautiful full-color book, each page features a magnificent photo, accompanied by the text and a lyrical translation of that creation's song, and an incisive, stimulating comment by Rabbi Nosson Scherman - a comment that lets us "hear" and absorb the inner meaning of Perek Shirah.

The stunning beauty of this coffee-table, art-quality book does justice to its contents. It will make your heart sing along with the universe - perhaps even join the growing numbers who make Perek Shirah part of their day - and it will be a treasured gift to every special family.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 12:22:33 AM by muman613 »
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 06:50:01 AM »
I agree, Rubystars.  Grown polar bears are scary.