Author Topic: 2012 Gremlin Hybrid by Ford  (Read 1137 times)

Offline Aces High

• Ultimate JTFer

Offline Aces High

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: 2012 Gremlin Hybrid by Ford
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 12:08:59 AM »
Here are some larger pictures of this car.

http://wizbangblue.com/2009/06/10/the-2012-amc-gremlin.php

Offline Aces High

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 12:11:32 AM »
Looks kinda cool

http://hubpages.com/hub/Ford-Goes-Back-To-the-Future-With-The-Gremlin-MC2-Hybrid-For-2012

Nevermind the other picture, just click the arrow on the picture, it enlarges the car and shows other angles

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 12:37:50 AM »
Vaguely reminds me of the Cadillac "Evoq" (which became the SLR, I think)

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 06:22:52 AM »
The original Gremlin was not a bad body style for its day... Poor old AMC did a great deal with the limited finances they had in them days... The did have a few nice cars like the Javelin and the little Gremlin. I am surprised that Chrysler did not retain the rights to all the old AMC nameplates since they did buy out AMC back in the 80's...I think its interesting Ford decided to use that name and even have their new car look a bit like that of one of there old competitors. Ford has been on the right track in the past few  years they are building good reliable cars that sell in a tough market... Whats better they are doing it on their own with out government intervention.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline Aces High

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 08:44:19 AM »
The original Gremlin was not a bad body style for its day... Poor old AMC did a great deal with the limited finances they had in them days... The did have a few nice cars like the Javelin and the little Gremlin. I am surprised that Chrysler did not retain the rights to all the old AMC nameplates since they did buy out AMC back in the 80's...I think its interesting Ford decided to use that name and even have their new car look a bit like that of one of there old competitors. Ford has been on the right track in the past few  years they are building good reliable cars that sell in a tough market... Whats better they are doing it on their own with out government intervention.

CJD- If they would make this little car quick, I mean very quick-- I would buy it in a second.  But I know they won't.  I can tell by the write up about the car.

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 10:04:55 AM »

CJD- If they would make this little car quick, I mean very quick-- I would buy it in a second.  But I know they won't.  I can tell by the write up about the car.

Well, two years is sort of quick for a project like this... I am sure Ford wants in on this market but until now I have not heard much about them going into a project like this... I worked for a branch of the motor company itself for about 10 years and I have to say they made me like them and the way they do business... They were very good to their people and actually make a very good product that they stand behind 100%. There are a great deal of factors when you produce a new car like the Gremlin. For one thing  people have to have the ability to charge the battery. Most people don't have the outlet in their home that supplies the 220 volts that the article states this cars charger would need. Right off the bat people would need to have an electrician come in and supply such a hookup. What about people living in apartments or condos the complex would need to make some accommodation for this type of car. The even larger issue is the overall expense of buying a car like this and its upkeep over the years... The Ford Escape Hybrid has a battery that has a warranty for 5 years. Ford itself said the battery has a usable life of just a little over that... The thing is the replacement cost of the battery is heavy ( a few thousand dollars ) That battery is just one that is designed to move the car a few miles or so when the car is crawling along in traffic or low demand situations. What would a battery cost to replace that moves a car for a few hundred miles... I think Ford is looking at this time line for a number of factors.. Practicality, marketability, and not having the stigma of producing a car that in the end does not save it owner a penny more then a very efficient gas fueled car would. Last but not least if this car ever caught on in big numbers the ability of the local power companies to supply the electricity needed to charge the cars... I hope the Ford I have now last another few years so this car could be in the running for its replacement. With over 300,000 miles on it now I might just be asking to much.   

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 10:43:39 AM »

Who would want to resurrect the Gremlin name? The original was a horrible car, ugly as sin, and crappy across the board. You'd think the bad memory of that piece of crap would make any marketing dept run from the Gremlin name.
Nuke the arabs till they glow, then shoot them in the dark.

Offline Aces High

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 10:43:52 AM »

Well, two years is sort of quick for a project like this... I am sure Ford wants in on this market but until now I have not heard much about them going into a project like this... I worked for a branch of the motor company itself for about 10 years and I have to say they made me like them and the way they do business... They were very good to their people and actually make a very good product that they stand behind 100%. There are a great deal of factors when you produce a new car like the Gremlin. For one thing  people have to have the ability to charge the battery. Most people don't have the outlet in their home that supplies the 220 volts that the article states this cars charger would need. Right off the bat people would need to have an electrician come in and supply such a hookup. What about people living in apartments or condos the complex would need to make some accommodation for this type of car. The even larger issue is the overall expense of buying a car like this and its upkeep over the years... The Ford Escape Hybrid has a battery that has a warranty for 5 years. Ford itself said the battery has a usable life of just a little over that... The thing is the replacement cost of the battery is heavy ( a few thousand dollars ) That battery is just one that is designed to move the car a few miles or so when the car is crawling along in traffic or low demand situations. What would a battery cost to replace that moves a car for a few hundred miles... I think Ford is looking at this time line for a number of factors.. Practicality, marketability, and not having the stigma of producing a car that in the end does not save it owner a penny more then a very efficient gas fueled car would. Last but not least if this car ever caught on in big numbers the ability of the local power companies to supply the electricity needed to charge the cars... I hope the Ford I have now last another few years so this car could be in the running for its replacement. With over 300,000 miles on it now I might just be asking to much.   

CJD, how are you able to nurse 300,000 miles out of your car?  Please tell me!   Same engine?  Same transmission??

Offline arksis

• Master JTFer
  • Dawn
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 11:31:22 AM »
You thought the Gremlin was UGLY, remember the Pacer? Now THAT was UGLY!
---Never, ever deal with terrorists. Hunt them down and, more important, mercilessly punish those states and groups that fund, arm, support, or simply allow their territories to be used by the terrorists with impunity.
Meir Kahane

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 11:36:46 AM »
Yes, Most of the car is original... I have had to change a few things but actually very little when the mileage and age are taken into consideration. The engine has never been touched except for spark plugs and the transmission has had one fluid change. The car was just a good model very trouble free... I still do about a 150 miles a day with it and the car seems not to show its age...I just change the oil between 4 and 6 thousand miles and replace the air and gas filter around every 25 to 30. When the car is all cleaned up it still looks almost new.

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 11:46:51 AM »
You thought the Gremlin was UGLY, remember the Pacer? Now THAT was UGLY!
Yes the Pacer was a strange car...The driver door was bigger then the passenger side door and all that glass  :::D . It was like a greenhouse on wheels. As ugly as it was people who owned them said they were very comfortable.