Author Topic: The Danger of Custom Wheels & Tires  (Read 1510 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
The Danger of Custom Wheels & Tires
« on: August 11, 2010, 11:07:58 AM »
I am writing this because I don't have anywhere else to spout off my anger. And I hope that anyone who finds themselves in the same position as I am will only buy a really nice car with the full knowledge that every component of the car is expensive.

I constantly get compliments on the looks of my car and that is one of the reasons I enjoy driving a slick sports car. I got this car last November and I keep it neat and clean. The toll collectors know me and my car, and when I get gas often people at the stations will say things indicating that they like the looks of the car.

Well, today the reality of the cost of having a nice car has hit me... Last night when I was driving home from work I must have run over glass or a nail because as I neared my home I heard the 'thump thump thump' and the rumble as I realized I was riding on the wheels. Luckily I was able to pull into the driveway.... I figured I would call the tire place which I took all my other cars to in the morning.

Well I awoke this morning to the nightmare realization that no tire store in my area stocks this particular monster tire. Has anyone ever heard of a 305/30ZR20 tire? It looks really nice and wide and thin and with the custom rims makes the tires very nice looking... But nobody stocks it... And one reason may be because this particular tire costs me $470.00. That is almost $500 for just one tire.

Now I must take a day off from work, and spend $470 for a tire.... I am very disappointed... But I cannot complain too much because I must realize that this occurred as a result of my own decisions and there is nobody to blame.

I would appreciate hearing anyone elses tire horror stories, if they wish to share them...

305 30ZR20 Tire
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Gentile

• Junior JTFer
Re: The Danger of Custom Wheels & Tires
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 01:01:23 AM »
So I assume this is not a factory size rim/tire.  If you can afford the car then a $500 tire should be no problem, right?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 01:13:29 AM »
So I assume this is not a factory size rim/tire.  If you can afford the car then a $500 tire should be no problem, right?

Yes, when I bought the car from the dealer I was told there were custom modifications, the wheels and tires being one of them. I assumed that the tires would not be cheap, but I was not aware that the cost approached $500...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 05:42:22 AM »
That is a lot money for a tire! Wow! It's really too bad you had to end up finding out how much they cost this way.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 07:02:26 PM »
I'm really sorry to hear this but it could be a lot worse. Sometimes we have to be thankful. The vast majority of workplaces would not permit their employees to take time off to get tires fixed.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 07:24:50 PM »
I'm really sorry to hear this but it could be a lot worse. Sometimes we have to be thankful. The vast majority of workplaces would not permit their employees to take time off to get tires fixed.

Yes, very true... I must thank my supervisor for being very understanding... I had to take all of yesterday off and I wasn't in to work till 12PM today {I normally get in at 10:30}... Thank you for reminding me to be thankful that I work for a company which is understanding of my problems...

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 07:29:24 PM »

I've noticed I get a little more leeway at my current job than other employees do, because I show up almost every day (the manager of my department is convinced that I have a perfect attendance record, even though I've had to call in sick 2 times over the past couple of years). I think if someone is a reliable employee with a good attendance record, things like this can be accommodated sometimes. Of course it's not a good idea to take advantage of such too often either.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 07:34:46 PM »
We have to remember that times have changed and that the whole entire labor market is different now than it was thirty or even five years ago. In almost any field of work, in the current economy (which I suspect is the result of deliberate orchestration by the multinationals and is not merely a natural downturn) droves of equally-qualified candidates as yourself can be found to do the exact same work you are at the exact same quality, and probably for a whole lot less. Ten years ago, most full-time jobs offered two weeks of paid vacation no later than the second year of working there. Nowadays, you will be lucky to get five unpaid days off your second year. With increasing globalization, this is just going to keep getting worse. Many people work sick, work overtime without getting paid for it, etc. just so they don't make waves that could cost them their jobs.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 07:38:22 PM »
Well I am also putting in for time off for the High Holidays... I should really take all 10 days between Rosh Hashannah and Yom Kippur off, as I have done the last few years but this year I will take off 3 days for RH and 1 day for YK and then I need to take one day off for a court case {speeding ticket}...

I am generally good with attendance though I do work on a staggered schedule because I have a 3 hour drive {1 1/2 hrs each way}... I will be working late tonight {wont get home till 10PM}...

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 07:39:35 PM »
Well I am also putting in for time off for the High Holidays... I should really take all 10 days between Rosh Hashannah and Yom Kippur off, as I have done the last few years but this year I will take off 3 days for RH and 1 day for YK and then I need to take one day off for a court case {speeding ticket}...

I am generally good with attendance though I do work on a staggered schedule because I have a 3 hour drive {1 1/2 hrs each way}... I will be working late tonight {wont get home till 10PM}...

Sheesh... that really sucks. Have you thought of moving closer to your place of employment?

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 07:42:48 PM »
DBF, you made some very good points about the effects of globalization!

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 07:57:19 PM »

Sheesh... that really sucks. Have you thought of moving closer to your place of employment?

Actually last weekend my Mom asked me this... My answer is always the same... There is a trade-off I am making and I am fully aware of. I have a nice four bedroom house located in a city which is 80+ miles from my work... When I first moved to this part of the state I was employed only 20 minutes away but in 2002 I was let go from that company. I like my house, I like the clean air and the closeness to the waterfront. I like the quite neighborhood. If I were to try to move down into the south-bay area {nearer to silicon valley} it would cost me a lot more... For what I pay to live in a four bedroom house I would have to squeeze into a 2 bedroom apt... I have a two car garage and a driveway at my house and I would have to park in a common underground garage where cars are broken into, etc...

I accept my 3 hour drive with the understanding that I will put wear and tear on my cars, and on my self... But the money is good, and I enjoy my work... So I will suffer with the inconvenience of the drive..

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010, 08:05:17 PM »
Sheesh, sounds like a sucky way to live. Have you at all considered applying to closer places, or to a job that does "telecommuting"?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2010, 08:07:53 PM »
Sheesh, sounds like a sucky way to live. Have you at all considered applying to closer places, or to a job that does "telecommuting"?

Yes, every headhunter who calls me I say that I would like to work closer to where I live... For a year when I was doing contract programming I was able to telecommute... But I have not heard of any offers lately which involve that option..

I am still very lucky to have a stable job which pays well...

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2010, 08:10:30 PM »
Are there any options closer to you  or telecommuting options that perhaps you would take a pay cut at, but that still pay decently? Shlomo wants to work at JTF very badly and would be willing to take close to a 50% pay cut for it. Granted this wouldn't be the same thing but I would think that shaving a lot of time off of your commute that you could put into family, exercise, sleep, etc. would do wonders for your life and health.