Author Topic: Do Jews drink alcohol?  (Read 23625 times)

Offline Novakovic

• Senior JTFer
Do Jews drink alcohol?
« on: April 14, 2010, 04:22:28 AM »
Do religious Jews drink alcohol? I know that Jews do not eat pork, but are they allowed to drink alcohol? We orthodox Christians are allowed to drink, but to a certain limit.

Thanks in advance!

« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 01:33:03 AM by Novakovic »

Offline Spectator

• Master JTFer
Re: Do Jews drink alcohol?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 02:25:20 PM »
Wine is good when consumed in moderation. It allows soul to "shine through". On Saturdays and Jewish holidays Jews recite blessings over a glass of wine and then drink it. But when abused, alcohol is highly destructive. It is forbidden to drink too much.
Do not put your trust in princes, nor in a son of man, in whom there is no help (Psalms 146:3)

Offline joshua

• Full JTFer
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 03:31:29 PM »
I like Jameson whisky.  Sometimes too much.  :(

Offline Novakovic

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 01:32:31 AM »
I like Jameson whisky.  Sometimes too much.  :(

That's not good!  :)

Offline דוד בן זאב אריה

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Kahane Was Right
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 02:51:47 PM »
I enjoy a good drink and from time to time I do get drunk but I don't drink that much I have it in check. I'll by a 750 ML bottle of vodka or Whisky and it will last me close to 5 months and that is when i share it. There is nothing wrong with a beer here and there or a L'Chiam on Shabbat. But make sure you keep it in check
David Ben Ze'ev Aryeh

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 11:07:33 PM »
I drink quite a bit, i'm big on rum myself but some hard liquor isn't kosher.

Offline Ari Ben-Canaan

• Master JTFer
  • "The Necromancers Could Not Stand Before Moses."
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 05:42:20 AM »
In JTF Hebrew club?  Alcohol does not help my learning of Hebrew I don't think...

However,

I enjoy drinking sometimes.  Usually on Shabbat my roommate and I will have something to drink.  Sometimes if I go bowling.  I don't really ever get out to a bar these days, when I used to DJ in clubs I drank more than I do now.  I make kiddush over grape juice most Fridays, and drink beer later.

This is my favorite beer.  Its really one of a kind.  13% alcohol, so one must drink it like wine; it is stronger than Manishewitz by 2%.  The company is called, "He'Brew: The Chosen Beer".  I only like the "Jewbilation 13th Year Bar Mitzvah Ale" though, the rest, and I have not had them all, just taste like "dark beer".  "Bar Mitzvah" has really got a great taste. [KSA kosher]

Other than that I like "Blue Moon".

Or "Fat Tire".

http://kosherbeers.blogspot.com/2009/09/kosher-beers-semi-annual-kosher-beers.html
Both are Kosher; Fat Tire [Scroll-K] and Blue Moon [OU].
"You must keep the arab under your boot or he will be at your throat" -Unknown

"When we tell the Arab, ‘Come, I want to help you and see to your needs,’ he doesn’t look at us like gentlemen. He sees weakness and then the wolf shows what he can do.” - Maimonides

“I am all peace, but when I speak, they are for war.” -Psalms 120:7

"The difference between a Jewish liberal and a Jewish conservative is that when a Jewish liberal walks out of the Holocaust Museum, he feels, "This shows why we need to have more tolerance and multiculturalism." The Jewish conservative feels, "We should have killed a lot more Nazis, and sooner."" - Philip Klein

Offline JONAH

• New JTFer
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 06:25:07 AM »
I need to try some Goldstar is it any nice?

Offline Meerkat

• Master JTFer
  • Yemach Shmam to Egypt and Iran
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 02:36:25 AM »
Of course alcohol is allowed. You know, before the invention of Nitrous Oxide, wine was used as an anesthetic during circumcision.