Author Topic: Challenge to Erica[The Never Ending Thread!]  (Read 20782 times)

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: Challenge to Erica
« Reply #100 on: May 30, 2007, 12:06:03 PM »
What about all the great music that has come from black American culture.
Louis Armstrong - Ella Fitzgerald - Sammy Davis and of course Nat King Cole. 
I'm sure people have some better examples - but I love the artists I mentioned.
Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Allen-T

« Reply #101 on: May 30, 2007, 01:12:21 PM »

Yes, that's really about it. A plethora of musical genius. I liked when SDJ played the radical priest on the Mod Squad too ;) 
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 02:02:02 PM by Allen-T »

Allen-T

« Reply #102 on: May 30, 2007, 02:00:01 PM »
I'm still waiting for examples of 'the ability to snap back after a major catastrophe"
I'm speaking of deaths in the family, (For example, I've heard of many families who've lost their parents to death and the oldest of the children resume responsibility of taking care of her/his brothers and sisters just to make sure they were all together.) I'm also speaking of being able to make miracles during Christmas, and Thanksgiving when there is hardly any food in the house. Things of that nature. Catastrophies aren't only based on natural disasters, Allen.

There, Bullcat. Are you happy now? This was in a response I made to Allen, the one who just told you you'd be waiting a while for me to answer the question. Allen KNEW I answered this question.

I'm so glad that blacks can deal with the adverisity life hands them.  I don't think that is specific to black people.  That is not called 'snapping back' that is called being alive.  The only time I expect to stop facing adversity head on is after I die. I think Allen T is right and I will grow a beard waiting for a real answer.

Notice she only gives examples from within the context of a family. Big deal, even the dogs take care of their own. Doing for your family is no different than selfishly doing for yourself. When "catstrophe" hits blacks, e.g. large numbers of blacks collectively and team work and neighborly cooperation are required is the obvious context we are talking about Umerica.  
What's the difference Allen? Teamwork exists in families as it does in  the community. A community of people working together is also a family.

One demonstrates an extension of self interest and self preservation[within biological families,which exists amongst some blacks] and the other demonstrates unselfishness and idealism for the common good of the community and society which usually doesn't exist where there is a majority of blacks. In most places around the world where there is a majority black, chaos reigns. Here is a good explanation; http://masada2000.somebodyhelpme.info/JTF-02192003-South%20Africa.mp3

Allen, there is stilll no difference. But I'll tell you this much, the way I read your post was as if you were saying that after a family member dies...say, the matriarch of the family, when the family pulls together to keep themselves together and not separated from each other ,they're doing it for selfish reasons. I know of one instance where a single mom died from breast cancer. She had 4 children , ranging in the ages of 9-17. After she died, the 17 year old assumed  responsibility of her brothers and sisters and became a serrogate mom to them. She kept them out of the system. Then later, adopted her brothers and sisters as her own children. At the same time, she was able to go to prom, graduate high school, attend college and work to support them. That's only one example but I assume you get the picture. She wasn't SELFISH...she was SELFLESS. She could have shirked the responsibility altogether but because she cared about what life would be like for her siblings in an alternate situation, she had to do what she had to do.

As for the community family, there is the same amount of selflessness. People, who participate in the action of keeping their community strong often don't think about themselves. Their focus is mainly on the children of the community and how the positivity can/will affect them. That's selflessness, for you.

What I said is meant to be understood in the context of the following Bible verses; If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners love those who love them. Luke 6:32 or "If you then, though you are evil,know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him! Matthew 7:11.

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #103 on: May 30, 2007, 04:35:48 PM »

Yes, that's really about it. A plethora of musical genius. I liked when SDJ played the radical priest on the Mod Squad too ;) 
You're too funny Allen T.  
8)  Mod Squad.  
What is sad is I'm old enough to remember Mod Squad. :(
Anyway - I did my best.  ;)  I got nothing else.
Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Allen-T

« Reply #104 on: May 30, 2007, 04:41:06 PM »

8)  Mod Squad.  

My wife keeps telling me there is an episode of All In The Family where the JDL is mentioned, but I don't recall, does anyone? 

Offline kahaneloyalist

• Master JTFer
« Reply #105 on: May 30, 2007, 04:52:31 PM »
It isnt the JDL its something like the Hebrew Defense Group, but its a obvious referance to the JDL
"For it is through the mercy of fools that all Justice is lost"
Ramban

Imerica

« Reply #106 on: May 30, 2007, 04:53:37 PM »

8)  Mod Squad.  

Wow. Nothing else but music from the 50's, huh? LOL This is the reason why you can only focus on the negative side of black culture... because its all you know. I'll have you know that music is a great example. I'm a connoisseur of music and actually collect LP's. My oldest album is from Stevie Wonder "I Was Made To Love Her"... (1967). I also have an album by "Nero" which dates back to 1964. (its not black music but its interesting).

As for all of the other good things about our culture..I'll say that not only music from the 50's are good but black music and white artists who have contributed to making R&B what it is, from the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's and even today.

I love our hair styles. Since I only have girls, I braid a lot of hair...I'm still braiding my 15 yo's hair. The styles are just incredible...and its easy to do if you have the patience. One day, I'll go to cosmotology school to learn the art of cutting and styling. The food, which I mentioned before is fantastic. How creative we are when we interact with our children is great too. I love the dances also. I posted Youtube vids of some of the dances I'm speaking of, I don't think anyone watched them...probably because they think that I posted what MarZutra posted with the black teen doing this nasty dance on a coffee table. That's not black culture. Its a fad that's really inappropriate.

Imerica

« Reply #107 on: May 30, 2007, 04:55:09 PM »

8)  Mod Squad.  

My wife keeps telling me there is an episode of All In The Family where the JDL is mentioned, but I don't recall, does anyone? 
I'm sure there is. All In The Family wasn't short on discussing matters of culture.. JDL may have very well been mentioned.

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #108 on: May 30, 2007, 04:56:43 PM »

Yes, that's really about it. A plethora of musical genius. I liked when SDJ played the radical priest on the Mod Squad too ;) 
8)  Mod Squad. 
Anyway - I did my best.  ;)  I got nothing else.

Yes their are many Fats Waller, Dinah Washington, The Mills Brothers, Alberta Hunter, Brook Benton. Credit where credit is due Imerica. They were all great !! 
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Imerica

« Reply #109 on: May 30, 2007, 04:59:18 PM »

Yes, that's really about it. A plethora of musical genius. I liked when SDJ played the radical priest on the Mod Squad too ;) 
8)  Mod Squad. 
Anyway - I did my best.  ;)  I got nothing else.

Yes their are many Fats Waller, Dinah Washington, The Mills Brothers, Alberta Hunter, Brook Benton. Credit where credit is due Imerica. They were all great !! 
When we go back home, I'm going to ask my grandmother if I could look through/ or even take some of the albums my grandfather collected over the years. I'm sure that he had Dinah Washington in the collection.

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #110 on: May 30, 2007, 05:17:46 PM »
Imerica, You should look for them you will enjoy Dinah very much she is a blues and jazz artist and she is very relaxing to listen to. Alberta Hunter is a very obscure artist but she is also one of my favorites. The thing I like about all the artists on my list is they were all great personalities and had great stories to go along with their talent. I actually saw the last surviving Mills brother do a show along with his son in Atlantic City some years back. Fats Waller was just larger than life. Brook Benton and Dinah Washington did an album together that is really one of a kind.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Imerica

« Reply #111 on: May 30, 2007, 05:23:06 PM »
Imerica, You should look for them you will enjoy Dinah very much she is a blues and jazz artist and she is very relaxing to listen to. Alberta Hunter is a very obscure artist but she is also one of my favorites. The thing I like about all the artists on my list is they were all great personalities and had great stories to go along with their talent. I actually saw the last surviving Mills brother do a show along with his son in Atlantic City some years back. Fats Waller was just larger than life. Brook Benton and Dinah Washington did an album together that is really one of a kind.
I've heard Dinah's music before. My dad use to listen to her all of the time. That's why I love music so much. I even endulge in Soft Rock... Christopher Cross, Gino Vanelli, Phil Collins, America, Boz Scaggs, anyone with music I can enjoy comfortably, I'll listen to.

Allen-T

« Reply #112 on: May 30, 2007, 05:25:47 PM »

8)  Mod Squad.  

Wow. Nothing else but music from the 50's, huh? LOL This is the reason why you can only focus on the negative side of black culture... because its all you know. I'll have you know that music is a great example. I'm a connoisseur of music and actually collect LP's. My oldest album is from Stevie Wonder "I Was Made To Love Her"... (1967). I also have an album by "Nero" which dates back to 1964. (its not black music but its interesting).

As for all of the other good things about our culture..I'll say that not only music from the 50's are good but black music and white artists who have contributed to making R&B what it is, from the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's and even today.

I love our hair styles. Since I only have girls, I braid a lot of hair...I'm still braiding my 15 yo's hair. The styles are just incredible...and its easy to do if you have the patience. One day, I'll go to cosmotology school to learn the art of cutting and styling. The food, which I mentioned before is fantastic. How creative we are when we interact with our children is great too. I love the dances also. I posted Youtube vids of some of the dances I'm speaking of, I don't think anyone watched them...probably because they think that I posted what MarZutra posted with the black teen doing this nasty dance on a coffee table. That's not black culture. Its a fad that's really inappropriate.

Funkadelic[Westbound era only], Ohio Players[Westbound era only], Betty Davis[1st & 2nd funk masterpieces just reissued on Light In The Attic],Voices Of East Harlem, Elmore James, Weldon Irvine, Rahsaan Roland Kirk, Charles Lloyd, Byard Lancaster, Sonny Sharrock, Staple Singers, Rotary Connection, Ike & Tina, BT Express, Archie Shepp,Junior Parker, Marzette Watts, Rufus Thomas, Roy Ayers Ubiquity, Curtis Knight, Boogaloo Joe Jones, Bernard "Pretty" Purdie, Lou Donaldson, Charles Wright & The Watts 110st Band, Mahalia Jackson, Linda Jones[Hyptnotised-The greatest female soul singer EVER], Marva Whitney, Lee Dorsey, The Meters, Junior and His Soulettes,Vicki Anderson, Screaming Jay Hawkins,Sister Rosetta Tharpe,etc.          

Allen-T

Re: Challenge to Erica[The Never Ending Thread!]
« Reply #113 on: May 30, 2007, 05:36:24 PM »
Oh yeah, I thought of something else, Pam Grier movies :o :o