Author Topic: What do people do when they really feel depressed and they can't get themselves  (Read 3843 times)

Offline Ari Ben-Canaan

• Master JTFer
  • "The Necromancers Could Not Stand Before Moses."
Listen to "Lazer Beams" @ Arutz Sheva Radio...

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/Radio/News.aspx/2548

Best-selling author, speaker, and spiritual guide, Rabbi Lazer Brody came to Israel from the USA in 1970 after graduating from the University of Maryland’s College of Agriculture. He served in an elite IDF Special Forces Unit, and is a decorated veteran of two wars and many antiterrorist missions. After miraculously surviving a dangerous mission to Beirut in 1982, he left his mountaintop farm in Samaria and began intensive Torah studies that led to his rabbinical ordination in 1992. Rabbi Brody pens the award-winning Lazer Beams weblog, is the editor of Breslev Israel web magazine, author of The Trail to Tranquility, translator of the million-copy bestseller The Garden of Emuna, written by his rabbi and spiritual guide, Rav Shalom Arush shlit’a. Rabbi Brody travels around the world spreading the light of emuna.

I also find that meditating each day in natural surroundings, on sunny days, does a great job to chase away the depression...

You cannot go wrong with Rabbi Brody. :dance:
"You must keep the arab under your boot or he will be at your throat" -Unknown

"When we tell the Arab, ‘Come, I want to help you and see to your needs,’ he doesn’t look at us like gentlemen. He sees weakness and then the wolf shows what he can do.” - Maimonides

“I am all peace, but when I speak, they are for war.” -Psalms 120:7

"The difference between a Jewish liberal and a Jewish conservative is that when a Jewish liberal walks out of the Holocaust Museum, he feels, "This shows why we need to have more tolerance and multiculturalism." The Jewish conservative feels, "We should have killed a lot more Nazis, and sooner."" - Philip Klein

Offline MassuhDGoodName

• Ultimate JTFer
JTFenthusiast2,
Those Lubavitchers were not there for you by chance.  They can teach you peace of mind help you to fill the empty void inside you that you sometimes feel.  They did the same for me.  Seek them out and become a regular.  Perhaps you do need a "change" of occupation.  I can not speak to that, because you alone must make the decision.  But you can't tend others' bodies only, without tending to your own, and much of that requires you to equip yourself with spiritual strength so that your body and mind can withstand the stress we find ourselves under.

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
I think you should find another nursing job. It will always involve people with illness but there are probably alternatives where you don't have to deal with seeing children sick all the time. Is it possible that you could be transferred to another department where you deal more with adults?

HI Ruby, Thanks for your good advice.  I am a doctor though and I am locked into a contract.  If I broke my contract, at my stage, it would be taantamount to professional suicide.

Massa, Those Lubavitchers made my week.  I was so happy to see them and to know that someone physically near me gave a hoot about how I was doing.  I wish I had asked for a card

Thank you Muman, what you said is very much how I feel on the inside

Offline Aces High

• Ultimate JTFer
I would say, go out to a nice place for dinner.  Nothing like good food to get you in the right frame of mind.

Offline MassuhDGoodName

• Ultimate JTFer
For depression (the normal non-clinical type):

-regular exercise (preferably outside in good air and sun - swimming also good even indoors)
-eat a diet containing more fish and fresh vegetables if possible
-NO ALCOHOL, NO CANNABIS, NO DEPRESSANTS OF ANY KIND (this includes over the counter anti-histamines, prescription tranquilizers, or similar)
-NO STIMULANTS stronger than coffee (because whatever goes up, MUST COME DOWN!)

turn off the TV and radios, stop reading the newspapers or reading on line news, and instead read a good book before going to bed and listen to good symphonic music during the times you used to spend on the media news or "media entertainment".

If all else fails, you might should seek medical attention, but most folks don't have to do that.

Let's face it - You show me someone who doesn't become depressed by the world today, and I'll show you someone too stupid to live.

Offline Secularbeliever

• Master JTFer
My Irish-American grandmother had very very wrinkled skin and I was always told it was because she went out in the sun all the time when she was younger. So I have been out of the sun a lot to avoid extra wrinkles too and I think it's helped because most people say I look younger than I actually am.

I don't know how old you are but I had my first round of skin cancer last year.  Oddly I enjoy being out in the sun more than I did when I was younger but I have a new found respect for the dangers of sun exposure.
We all need to pray for Barack Obama, may the Lord provide him a safe move back to Chicago in January 2,013.

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Be a light in the darkness.......
 The thing that helps me the most, when I am really, really depressed, is to call a trusted friend. It is difficult to find those anymore, someone to talk to...but once or twice a year I find someone.
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל